Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
Figured I'd give apple support a call before rolling back. They said they'll make a note to engineering and get back to me. Will hold off on the rollback for now and will post in here when I hear anything back.
Hi! Did Apple get back to you? If so, what did they say? I didn’t know you could get support still with these devices. I really don’t know when did I bought my Apple TV gen 3 but it must have been around 2012 o 2013.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the article. Yeah, I started researching as soon as my WiFi stopped working and learned about the recall program. When it happened, I didn’t know about it.
Apparently my serial number is not affected. It’s strange that it stopped working with the new update.
Maybe the list is exhaustive? I don't know. I have an a1427 that is not on the list with bad wifi. I have another a1469 that is still going strong.

Could be co-incidence? Tried a factory reset through the settings or with iTunes?

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
Maybe the list is exhaustive? I don't know. I have an a1427 that is not on the list with bad wifi. I have another a1469 that is still going strong.

Could be co-incidence? Tried a factory reset through the settings or with iTunes?
Yes, I actually did a factory reset several times with no success on reactivating the WiFi module. I will try with iTunes or downgrading to 7.5 if it's still possible.

About your A1427, do you know if there is a fix for the bad WiFi either through Apple or with third parties? Would it be worth it? I dread that my Apple TV reached the end of its life. Ethernet connection works but I'd need to change my home setup.

Thanks for your responses Audit13!

Reactions: Audit13

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, I actually did a factory reset several times with no success on reactivating the WiFi module. I will try with iTunes or downgrading to 7.5 if it's still possible.

About your A1427, do you know if there is a fix for the bad WiFi either through Apple or with third parties? Would it be worth it? I dread that my Apple TV reached the end of its life. Ethernet connection works but I'd need to change my home setup.

Thanks for your responses Audit13!
There is no software fix because it is a hardware issue.

To get around the problem, I purchased a used 2.4 Ghz TP-Link WiFi extender that has an Ethernet port to provide Internet access to my a1427 via Ethernet. I've been using it this way for about a year.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 271

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
There is no software fix because it is a hardware issue.

To get around the problem, I purchased a used 2.4 Ghz TP-Link WiFi extender that has an Ethernet port to provide Internet access to my a1427 via Ethernet. I've been using it this way for about a year.
Thanks for the advice! Apparently I will have to go that route to keep it alive.

Reactions: Audit13

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I had also a Wifi problem suddenly appearing an ATV 3rd gen. In the end, the reason was that a firmware update enabled my router to use WPA3 which the ATV 3 does not like, even as WPA2+WPA3. So, I reverted the router to just WPA2, and everything was fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
I had also a Wifi problem suddenly appearing an ATV 3rd gen. In the end, the reason was that a firmware update enabled my router to use WPA3 which the ATV 3 does not like, even as WPA2+WPA3. So, I reverted the router to just WPA2, and everything was fine.
I’ll check my router also! Thanks for the tip

^Tripper^

macrumors member
Hi! Did Apple get back to you? If so, what did they say? I didn’t know you could get support still with these devices. I really don’t know when did I bought my Apple TV gen 3 but it must have been around 2012 o 2013.

I followed up with them. Was told that they had “reports of this issue from other users and it is still under investigation by our engineers. The fix may come in the form of another software update.”

Am still waiting for the fix.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I followed up with them. Was told that they had “reports of this issue from other users and it is still under investigation by our engineers. The fix may come in the form of another software update.”

Am still waiting for the fix.
Sounds like one of the tried and true Customer No-Service tropes: “what can we say to end this call without them giving up all hope?”

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I've noticed my Apple TV 3 recently freezing on YouTube videos (not sure if I paused the video), after 1 or 2 minutes it seems to reboot without my doing anything. Running 7.6 (8130). Runs Netflix reliably, as usual.

Also an old problem has come back, maybe related to 7.6. I wanted to rewatch the first few minutes ot the Apple September event (iPhone 12) using the Apple TV 3, but when I tried I got a message on my iPhone and iPad saying "Apple ID Sign In requested to a device" (obviously my Apple TV 3) near or at my location, and it wanted me to Allow, and type a code number into the device. But there is no way to type the code into the device (Apple TV 3). Strange, because the Apple TV 3 is correctly noted as being associated with my Apple ID. This might be a problem related to 2FA (two factor authentication), some people in 2017 got rid of the problem by removing 2FA from their Apple ID account, i tried to disable 2FA but it won't allow this.

Hoping that I will be able to watch the Nov 10 Apple Event using the Apple TV 3. If not I will use iPad or computer.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I’ll check my router also! Thanks for the tip
I’ve found that the wired connection is more stable...since it’s not subject to interference from multiple devices in the same air. If you can run a direct wire from your router to your ATV you may see a slight performance improvement.

If you can, it’s always better to direct wire devices like this that are not going to be moved., then they won’t be competing with your mobile (and other wireless) devices for WiFi throughput.

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
I know it’s better to use a wired connection but it was nice to have the WiFi option. It gave me some wonderful years though...

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I don't know whether it was this update or a previous one, but I can finally configure my Control Centre Remote for this version of the Apple TV, which is nice.

Reactions: jhall8

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Also noticing YouTube crashing anytime I pause the video. Easily recproducable SK out workaround is to rewind the video a min or so instead of pausing haha

what’s worse is that older videos on YouTube seem to have pixelate green squares. I know it’s not my internet speed as it only happens on our 3rd gen Apple TVs. Also, the Apple TV is wired via Ethernet.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Also noticing YouTube crashing anytime I pause the video. Easily recproducable SK out workaround is to rewind the video a min or so instead of pausing haha

what’s worse is that older videos on YouTube seem to have pixelate green squares. I know it’s not my internet speed as it only happens on our 3rd gen Apple TVs. Also, the Apple TV is wired via Ethernet.
Yep, I see same and concur on the workaround.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Called Apple support today about the YouTube pause freezing on v7.6.1. They admitted they are aware of the problem and have escalated lots (their word) of these tickets to "engineering." Timing of a fix is unknown of course, or even whether there will be one. One suggested workaround was to view YouTube on a different device (iPhone, iPad, iMac in my case) and AirPlay the signal to the AppleTV. That way if you pause on your other device, there will be no effect on the Apple TV.

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Called Apple support today about the YouTube pause freezing on v7.6.1. They admitted they are aware of the problem and have escalated lots (their word) of these tickets to "engineering." Timing of a fix is unknown of course, or even whether there will be one. One suggested workaround was to view YouTube on a different device (iPhone, iPad, iMac in my case) and AirPlay the signal to the AppleTV. That way if you pause on your other device, there will be no effect on the Apple TV.
I rediscovered the YouTube app on my smart TV. I don’t think I’ll ever buy/upgrade since smart TVs do almost everything Apple TV can.

Even better, with the YouTube app on my leg smart TVs, I can login into two YouTube profiles.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
I rediscovered the YouTube app on my smart TV. I don’t think I’ll ever buy/upgrade since smart TVs do almost everything Apple TV can.

Even better, with the YouTube app on my leg smart TVs, I can login into two YouTube profiles.
Sure they do. Because of course the TV "manufacturer" has no interest in obsoleting your TV so you buy a new one and will therefore maintain and ensure the TV OS and applicationsa re always up to date.

Rhody1

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2020
North East
Still no fix to You Tube locking up on "pause" with my 3rd generation Apple TV (7.6.1) software update. Frustrating because I use You Tube as a tool and frequently pause to take notes on subjects that I enjoy and use in daily life. It is paired with a 50" Sony HD TV so no need to upgrade. Fortunately I have options with my UHD Samsung with 4K Firestick but it causes me to loose faith in the Apple eco system and see no need for upgrading to an Apple TV anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.