Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
If 4K is so unimportant, why has Apple released a 6S iPhone that can record 4K content and you can play it back on your new 21" iMac, but you can't stream it to your Apple TV?? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Roku put out the upgrade that Apple TV should have put out. It has both 4K streaming and HDMI/optical audio connections. This Apple TV will probably be substituted next year with these features. Tim just needed to pick up some additional coin in the meantime.

We're not saying 4K is unimportant, however Apple knows it is more important to get 4K on devices we use inches away from our face, so it was done.

Distance is a huge factor in diminished quality on tv's and apple knows this. Most people sit a good distance from their tv's in their living room and will not notice the difference between a 1080 movie and a 4K movie.

Reactions: Sikh

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
It's available for pre-order in Norway too, but Elkjøp (one of the biggest electronic re-sellers in Norway) labels it as "on sale" all tho once you complete the purchase, you get up that it's only a pre-order.

Excited to get mine once it releases tho! :D
Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 21.52.46.png

Reactions: pjarvi

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I didn't much care about 4K until I got a 65" 4K set and saw newer 4K content on it. Now I'm sold. I don't think it makes as much of a difference on smaller sets still, but at 65", the difference is quite noticeable with good, new 4K content. Alas, that content is still hard to find.

This is why I wish the new Apple TV was 4K at this point. I do think it'd really help push the digital market forward.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
We're not saying 4K is unimportant, however Apple knows it is more important to get 4K on devices we use inches away from our face, so it was done.

Distance is a huge factor in diminished quality on tv's and apple knows this. Most people sit a good distance from their tv's in their living room and will not notice the difference between a 1080 movie and a 4K movie.
Sorry, I just got a 4K 55" TV to replace a plasma and I sit 10 feet away. I can tell the difference

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Don't worry. It's a scam. You won't be getting it first. You can continue to be angry about this.
Your reading comprehension is pretty bad. I'm not worrying at all, I'll have my Apple TV the day it releases here in Cali.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Ok fine but it can be discussed in one thread, create an Apple tv does not have 4K thread and complain all you want in there. This is ridiculous

No worries, next year they will launch apple tv 5, it will reinvent video, namely retina video. It will even allow playback of your 4k videos from your iPhone!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
no chances for Apple Tv 5 next year..maybe in 2017
So next week we will have the pre-orders

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Finally the Euros get something before the US (albeit 3rd party). Just glad we don't have to listen to you b**** about an American company serving Americans first.

Actually, US resellers can take preorders too. They just aren't advertising it until everything can be put up on e-commerce sites. I put in mine the day before yesterday.

Seems like a scam to me. There is no 32gb model for the iPad pro.

Um, huh? Look right on Apple's site. They come in 32 and 128.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I didn't much care about 4K until I got a 65" 4K set and saw newer 4K content on it. Now I'm sold. I don't think it makes as much of a difference on smaller sets still, but at 65", the difference is quite noticeable with good, new 4K content. Alas, that content is still hard to find.

This is why I wish the new Apple TV was 4K at this point. I do think it'd really help push the digital market forward.

Unless your talking native 4K content and you sit closer than 8 foot away, even 65 inch is kind of iffy an advantage for 4K.

If your comparing to crap compressed cable content vs netflix content, you'd have a point about quality, but that has nothing to do with being 4K, but all to do with the quality of the source.

Put an antenna on your TV and watch OTA 1080P vs netflix 4K and tell me again which one looks better... And in better, I'm not just talking resolution, all dimensions count.

65 inch is the minimum size where it makes sense for native (from blue ray) content if your head is 6-7 feet away and closer, but there is very little of this around.

What people think is improvement from 4K, is often just a better quality panel in general (newer LCD/LED panel better than old ones) that show up in 4K TV.

Considering how bad LCD TV's are with resolution when there is motion, most 4K TV's that are even less worth it.

Watch a 1080P OTA on the highest grade plasmas (before they cancelled them because they were more expensive to make than LCDs) and you'd probably find the image much better than a current low to mid end 4K TV seen a normal viewing distance.

Reactions: Sikh and ke-iron

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
To expensive imo. The 64 gig version costs as much as an Xbox one in Norway. Apart from itunes and the unified search, the xbox will offer pretty much the same streaming options, and support way better games.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I use my Apple TV more than my Apple Watch. Anyone else?
No, not remotely, pun intended. I use my Apple Watch to remotely control all of my Apple TVs so I don't need to bother finding the remotes, though. Truth is, without a TV attached the Apple TV is useless, and a 50" LED strapped to my wrist makes me look fat.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Sorry, I just got a 4K 55" TV to replace a plasma and I sit 10 feet away. I can tell the difference

If you read my other posts you'll see that I said there are different factors that will make a person see the difference, based on the quality of the previous tv. If you had a top of the line 1080p tv the same size or bigger prior to this 55" 4K tv you would barely notice a difference at that distance if any at all. I believe you did not have a top of the line 1080p tv, and what you're seeing is just your newer tv having better image processing, color, contrast etc.

Most 1080p content on your new tv will be almost indistinguishable from 4K at your viewing distance for 'most' people, and I am confident when I say this. 'Most' people can tell can tell the difference in a higher res screen that is in their hand like a cell phone or tablet or iMac that is only a few inches away from their eyes, but on a tv at that distance they can't. I've tested this. Look at my previous posts where I explained the Best Buy scenario.

Test yourself, pop in a good blu-Ray like King Kong and play it. Then stream the same movie in 4K if available, or find a critically acclaimed movie that you know would be great on blu-ray and the same available in 4K. I bet you the 1080 version looks better. Don't mistake a higher resolution image for being a better quality image. And if your new tv is oled of course it would look way better.

They've been making better lcd tv's than plasma for years now and you just went from plasma to 4K lcd/led so this might be a bad comparison altogether.

Reactions: Kaibelf and Ballis

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
No 4K - such a non-issue. Let me see... unless you sit ON TOP OF YOUR TELLY, you won't even notice it. Another "reason" to complain that something is missing. What's IS missing is logical, rational and objective (un)common SENSE.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
These EU prices are ridiculous. I think Apple has pushed it too far with its recent prices increases. I for one, am passing on all the new toys they released. Hope lots of people will do the same to give them a signal.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
If you read my other posts you'll see that I said there are different factors that will make a person see the difference, based on the quality of the previous tv. If you had a top of the line 1080p tv the same size or bigger prior to this 55" 4K tv you would barely notice a difference at that distance if any at all. I believe you did not have a top of the line 1080p tv, and what you're seeing is just your newer tv having better image processing, color, contrast etc.

Most 1080p content on your new tv will be almost indistinguishable from 4K at your viewing distance for 'most' people, and I am confident when I say this. 'Most' people can tell can tell the difference in a higher res screen that is in their hand like a cell phone or tablet or iMac that is only a few inches away from their eyes, but on a tv at that distance they can't. I've tested this. Look at my previous posts where I explained the Best Buy scenario.

Test yourself, pop in a good blu-Ray like King Kong and play it. Then stream the same movie in 4K if available, or find a critically acclaimed movie that you know would be great on blu-ray and the same available in 4K. I bet you the 1080 version looks better. Don't mistake a higher resolution image for being a better quality image. And if your new tv is oled of course it would look way better.

They've been making better lcd tv's than plasma for years now and you just went from plasma to 4K lcd/led so this might be a bad comparison altogether.
Dude, I had a Pioneer Kuro Elite and bought a Samsung SUHD. That's one of the best you could buy and it was 1080. Why not just give up instead of trying to insult people making suppositions about information you don't possess. You can't see the difference, some of us can. I don't ask you to go to the eye doctor, I just accept your opinion as YOUR OPINION

Reactions: nebo1ss

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
These EU prices are ridiculous. I think Apple has pushed it too far with its recent prices increases. I for one, am passing on all the new toys they released. Hope lots of people will do the same to give them a signal.

A signal of what? This is about the strength of the US dollar and exchange rates. If you can't afford one in your country, talk to your politicians about their economic policy. It's not Apple's job to compensate for your nation's fiscal issues.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Dude, I had a Pioneer Kuro Elite and bought a Samsung SUHD. That's one of the best you could buy and it was 1080. Why not just give up instead of trying to insult people making suppositions about information you don't possess. You can't see the difference, some of us can. I don't ask you to go to the eye doctor, I just accept your opinion as YOUR OPINION

I'm not insulting anyone and your pioneer kuro elite is outdated. Great picture, but from then till now there have been newer tv's that produced a better picture, I have the newer elite lcd tv that produced deeper blacks but it doesn't matter. The difference from my tv to a 4K tv is minimal in picture quality unless I upgrade to oled.

I have never anywhere said I cannot tell the difference. I said most people cannot tell the difference from the distance they sit from their tv. Also most differences they see is simply better image processing than their prior tv. So both 1080p and 4K content will look better on the new tv when compared to the last, and they will think it's the magic of the 4K tv. It's simply because the previous 1080p tv did not have the best processing or lcd/led panel available. Simple as that, if you understood what I said you will not be offended.

To add to this, lg currently sells a 55" oled 1080p tv from last year that has almost identical picture quality to the 55" oled 4K model from this year. Cnet did a side by side comparison and the difference was BARELY NOTICABLE. One tv was 1080p and the other was 4K, one was the best picture they've ever seen in a tv last year and the other was the best picture they've seen in a tv this year. They also recommend you save money and get the 1080p model from last year unless you plan on sitting very close in front of the tv. I will repeat, they recommended getting a 1080p tv over the best 4K tv they've seen this year. I wonder why.

So it's like I have said and countless other professionals have also said unless you're watching 4K content and sitting extremely close to the tv most people cannot tell the difference.

Though there are some exceptions to this like I also stated before. Depends on what your prior tv was you may notice a huge improvement or you may not. However the improvement you see in picture quality is not because of 4K it's because the other technologies in the tv like contrast, color, uniformity, image processing. As an example, if you're going from a 40" 1080p tv to a 60" 4K tv of course you will see a difference because the tv is 20" bigger. 4K will shine on even bigger tv's like 65" and above when uncompressed 4K or better compressed 4K content becomes available.

However people now are just raving about 4K when there are so much things to consider before upgrading so you can get a substantially better picture than what you had before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.