Apple TV 4 wishlist

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by xmlninja, Nov 3, 2014.

1. xmlninja macrumors regular

Whats your guys wishlist for apple tv 4?

Mine is more internal storage to locally cash icloud content, specially from iCloud Photo Library and iMovie theater. And of course Id like complete icloud photo library integration.

2. threelions macrumors regular

Some storage and a App store would be the main things, a better interface certainly, seen some reviews of the Google Player and the interface looks very nice plus you can have information displayed on the screen saver, it would be nice if you could have local weather, time maybe even calender & reminders displayed on the screen saver.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Apple TV 4 wishlist

AppStore
    H.285 support

$99
    A8X, 16GB, remote.

$199
    A8X, 16GB, remote, 2 game controllers

$299
    A8X, 64GB, remote, 2 game controllers

Etc.

4. Miabifilms, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

Miabifilms macrumors newbie

It would obviously have to be an amazing entertainment hub with the latest specs such as H.265 and 4k support, etc. Perhaps this is asking for too much, but making the Apple TV a cable box replacement is where I'd hoped they would have gone. Tunnel in your cable system with an Apple interface layer. Make it a "first input device". I hate switching sources on my tv. I want all my conent in one place.

An app store would be nice but not a top priority for me. Getting Airplay to work perfectly is more important in my opinion. Right now it's buggy and not as solid as it should be considering its pretty much the killer app keeping those in the Apple ecosystem from going to other, better streaming boxes. Airplay-enabled games/apps could then be pushed from an iPhone/iPad. Although they exist now, devs don't seem to be embracing this ability. Perhaps including other features like a true Apple game controller and other airplay options would compel devs to write more airplay-enable apps.

Homekit hub - I'm a homeowner and the inner geek in me is dying for this.

Global search - absolute necessity. I worry that since apple is in the content business this might not come to pass.

Hey Siri support - crucial for homekit and search.

FaceTime/gesture camera - it'll start out being used for FaceTime calls, but it'll very quickly be used for other cool things.

Notifications - I'd want caller ID, messages, tweets, emails, and more to be pushed to the screen, no matter which app/channel I'm in. I'd obviously like control of these to avoid having them become too much of a distraction.

5. xmlninja thread starter macrumors regular

6. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

H.265 support and much better quality 1080p encodes, something closer to blu-ray.

7. HobeSoundDarryl, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Along with the other wants already shared, here's a few more:

Modern audio codecs (Dolby Digital came out in 1991) at least on par with Blu Ray.

Support fps rates other than 30: at least 24fps for native film and 60fps for sports shot with camcorders (since 2010).

Up the bit rate playback capability on par with Blu Ray.

Normalize the USB port so that people can attach any size local storage if they want that, so that Elgato or similar could add DVR features for those that want that, etc.

Analog audio out so that Zone 2 receivers can be fed without having to get an optical-to-analog adapter.

Network storage option (too) so the parent Mac can be turned off and or taken out of the house and still have a fully functional :apple:TV.

Revive some software features of the first gen such as using the "Show" tag and the better presentation of TV shows.

Clean up the UI. Personally, I still think the final incarnation of the first generation :apple:TV was the best UI so far.

Resume an intuitive, "just works" approach to the UI such as putting our own movies in "Movies", our own TV Shows in "TV Shows", etc (again just like how it worked (well) in the first generation).

Maybe 4K too, as there are camcorders out now that can shoot it and 4K TVs have now been out for a couple of years. I suspect CES in January will roll out a variety of 4K camcorders at better prices. And even if iTunes store offerings don't go 4K anytime soon, camcorder-shot video and photos would look great in 4K.

8. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

For the most part, I don't care about the hardware specs, only that they are sufficient to implement my software wishlist and leave room for a little future-proofing:

1) Firmware improvements to run an iTunes client on the ATV itself, allowing the owner to point to a USB or network drive storing the library.

2) 3rd-party API/App Store. No reason we shouldn't be able to see MythTV, XMBC, Plex, EyeTV, and many many more on the ATV.

3) Unified search across all channels/apps

4) UI redesign to account for larger libraries (and the increasing number of channels/apps)

9. mrmarts, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

mrmarts macrumors 65816

My Wishlist is pretty straightforward

Dear Mr. Cook

What I want the most in the near future is.

1. Ultra HD support (more sound codecs, better visual compression)
    2. Better support for AV Receivers in settings
    3. Ultra HD content
    4. Lastly and most importantly a new 70" Ultra HD TV and a TV guide underneath my christmas tree :p

Other things you can throw in to keep me happy now is

1. A revised remote with more buttons i.e. the ability to access iTunes plus via remote
    2. AC WIFI compatibility.
    3. Not sure on this one, more ports such as a USB port to connect a external hard drive.
    3. Universal file support across all streaming platforms (google, amazon, roku) one can only dream.

What I do not care about

1. The introduction of the app store, I have my consoles PS4, WII U, and iOS devices iPad and iPhone 6 plus to keep me occupied with games.

2. Hand gestures and Siri why should i talk or wave to my TV :p

3. A change in the Apple tvs design, please do not change what is not broke. If they copy google, i will not be able to use it anymore as my tv is on the wall with all side HDMI ports used.

10. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Apple TV 4 wishlist

Some good ideas here, I second NAS support so you can run ATV without an attached Mac.
    Also the 4k support mandatory, it's around the corner so just do it.

For the record I just bought 2 weeks ago a Vizio P series 55" 4k set, it's picture quality is first rate. Besides 4k the contrast resolution in dark scenes makes pictures pop off screen.

11. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

While undoubtedly some people want an App Store for games, the main point would be to open up "channel" development to 3rd party developers for additional media content (or organization) options.

12. Dc2006ster macrumors regular

I had a 1st gen ATV enhanced with ATV flash so it played a wider range of formats and had external hard drive for increased local storage. Best of all, the UI was so simple my wife did not mind using it. Stopped using it because it did not have the power to smoothly play mkv files.

My wishes are simple. Recreate the 1st gen with local storage but with freedom to play a wide range of video and audio formats.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

3rd party app store so we can have things like Plex natively and easily.

Throw in bluetooth controllers and some onboard storage and you've got a gaming juggernaut ready to happen.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

This is mostly software, but I'd like to see "hidden" apps which appear on the home screen upon connecting certain accessories. Like if you connect a BT keyboard, iMessage will become available on the AppleTV. If you connect a BT Headset, FaceTime Voice will become available. And if you connect an optional webcam accessory... through a new port on the device... then it will unlock full FaceTime capabilities.

15. navier macrumors regular

navier

24p and HD-Audio Playback!

(no need for 4k here)

16. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

To be released at THIS MOMENT.

...nope. These wishes are insane, anyway.

A realistic assumption is an A6 or A7 of some kind, price still $99, able to run apps.

17. Uofmtiger, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

My wishlist would be similar to some of the above:

HD Audio (preferably with the ability to send audio out at different bitrates...16/44.1, 24/96, etc..)

Support for playing movies from a hard drive hanging off a router or a NAS (something similar to ATVFlash)

app store with Plex, XBMC, Vudu, & Amazon Prime (would have no need for a Roku if that happened)

Better UI. The interface to get to albums or movies is currently difficult for large collections.

Add "casting" to "airplay" in a more obvious and meaningful way. When I start any app streaming from the web on my iPhone and send it to the AppleTV, it should completely take over that streaming process and just use the iPhone as a controller. This would let me talk on the iPhone while listening to Rdio.

Not sure if they fixed this issue? When I go on vacation, I don't want to take the Apple remote with me for setting up the AppleTV. I should be able to plug the AppleTV in and set it up with just the iPhone Remote app.

18. andymodem macrumors 6502a

H.265 and 24fps support and I'd be happy. Heck, if ATV 4 only had 24fps I'd get one. :eek:

19. chirpie macrumors 6502a

chirpie

Others have mentioned my fav... (4k, 24fps, and HD audio, with HD audio being the most important one.) but also....

The ability to turn off item information displaying on playback.

I love making movie playlists with movie trailers playing before the actual movie we'll watch, but it's annoying to have the item info appear in the corner, giving away the surprise of the trailer that's about to play. :rolleyes:

I suppose this could be added with a firmware update instead, but it's one of mine that I really want. :)

(They FINALLY fixed that bug where you can set the time a video will start/stop in iTunes and it works over Apple TV, so I guess that's minor progress?)

20. Tech198 macrumors G4

- Provide NAS direct support..

Somehow this is probably a long shot, but worth a try :D

- maybe also add the ability to stop playing audio on podcasts when interrupting.... At bare minimum, Apple should have an option to stop playing podcast audio *as well" as video.. Its unbelievable that Apple didn't even think of this.... That would be the first thing i would have done if i was going to introduce this convenient feature. What have Apple been smoking lately?

Apple still haven't address this with any updates, so so, maybe they may take notice on a new ATV ?

21. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Hardware-wise I think a newer multicore chip with HEVC support, 24p/48p output and a larger SSD are a must. Should be quite easy - an A8 should be able to cope with all that. CEC-compatibility seems like a no-brainer too.

Software-wise it's just time for an App store if only so we can get some missing channels. For me the biggest things could be using the ATV as the centre of a home's media. What I am thinking (and others have suggested it earlier) is a way for the ATV to take over the management of iTunes. Imagine configuring iTunes as you want to and then selecting an option labelled "allow ATV to manage library" which would mean the ATV acts as the iTunes server - it would be able to play files from a network drive without iTunes on a computer being open, it would manage the syncing of media to iPads/iPhones and probably even manage the syncing of HomeKit devices. Perhaps with a dual core chip one core could take this on while the other deals with the media playback. Apple really need to sort out the interface though - the TV series arrangement has been been broken since 2010 and we really need to recombine computers with the other media types. Oh - and DTS-MA and TruHD too.

22. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

23. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

Increased graphic and audio capabilities
    Better GUI
    Internal storage so you can…
    Auto download podcasts, movies, music, and tv shows
    App Store
    A version of Siri optimized for multi-media commands and home use
    At least one HDMI port
    Be a Homekit hub

Ultimately, I want Apple TV to be the hub for the home and I’d pay for it. Let everyone else fight over the less than $100 market.

24. Miabifilms macrumors newbie

25. rhuarc3 macrumors member

rhuarc3

I just got a Sony 4k tv so I'd like 4k from the atv. maybe 3D, although I don't watch much 3D. So pretty much just improved speed and graphics.