[Apple TV 4K] Black screen while streaming video. Audio works fine.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by punkdthrice, Nov 18, 2017.

1. priitv8 macrumors 68040

This bloody Android TV needs also restarting, more often than you might want to think.
    On Sony you either hold the "power" button on remote down for 10 seconds or pull the plug.

2. Andrew504 macrumors newbie

Andrew504

I got my replacement Apple TV. It's on TV OS 11.0 it works perfectly. The problem must have been with TV OS 11.1 & 11.2

3. punkdthrice thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to hear. At least that leaves us some hope that Apple can fix this in their next firmware update.
    It sucks we can't downgrade our Apple TV's this generation because they decided to leave out the USB-C Port.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Has it ever been possible? I thought it is always been the same wih all iOS devices - once Apple closes the old firmware signing window, there is no going back, irrespective of the ports.
    Or was it different with aTV??

5. punkdthrice thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, Apple has always locked their firmware past its signing date. But if the firmware is still being signed it can still be downgraded.

Apple TV is the same 4th gen and earlier but ever since the 5th gen 4K they eliminated the possibility of plugging your Apple TV into your computer, therefore downgrading would be impossible. Atleast on 4th Gen we could still downgrade down to tvOS 10 since it's still being signed. If we had the port to plug in the computer on ATV 4K we could downgrade tvOS 11.0 (still signed) which actually didn't have this No video/Black screen issue.

6. Jamesk811 macrumors 6502

I thought I was the only one with this issue. On my Sony X930E, Netflix will show subtitles and play audio but just a black screen (only 4K content), other content works fine.

The fix for me is going into settings on the Apple TV and restarting it.

This is so annoying as I thought it was my HDMI cable so I bought the belkin 4K one from Apple store and the issue is continuing.

7. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

If you turn off your TV with the Apple TV input on it will do this. I notice if you turn off your TV when it is on a different input it does not occur.

8. AbblePC macrumors regular

What brand & model TV are you connecting the ATV4K to, also what HDMI port and rating on your TV?

I’ve been having this issue intermittently ever since I bought both my ATV4K and Vizio E70-E3 TV from BestBuy, especially since the latest TVOS update and both are only a month old. I fixed it originally by swapping HDMI inputs and taking my Vizio sound bar from ARC to using Optical then setting the AT4K to same port which supports 2.0 and also swapping multiple brand new HDMI cables that support high 18G+ speeds. Also simultaneously my ATV Siri remote will act very sluggish, so temporarily I moved it from behind the TV for direct line of sight acccess and seemed to smooth the remote operation, however the ATV4K still wants to blank video with 1-3 second intervals and sometimes longer in between. Like one other poster said earlier, mainly after the AT4K has been asleep and you first power on the TV using the Siri remote. It seems as the AT4K warms up (sometimes) it plays 4K content uninterrupted, all other inputs cables external devices including PS4 VR and internal SmartCast TV app works fine. No matter the settings changes or TV menu settings I change, helps other than setting the ATV4K to SDR gets rid of this problem.

9. zims2730 macrumors newbie

zims2730

Same problem... Sony tv. Anybody found a fix? Super annoying problem.

10. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Not leaving on the Apple TV input when turning off the TV seems to fix it. As long as I have it on another input when i turn the TV off it seems fine as I have not had to reboot it in days.

11. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

I have found out that with HDMI issues pulling the plug is sometime the only solution. I have just done it now, and finally turning off the (Bravia) TV it turns off the ATV 4K as well. I hate the software of this TV! It's a complete mess.

12. load97 macrumors regular

load97

I've had the same issues on my Sony 900E. Sucks balz.

13. zims2730 macrumors newbie

zims2730

Anybody found any fixes yet? Have me made Apple aware? (assuming it's an apple issue as it used to work a few updates ago).

14. theviewer19855 macrumors newbie

theviewer19855

This is also happening to me.

Except I have an LG OLED. A lot of people here seem to have mentioned they had Sony TV’s and I didn’t want people to start thinking it’s sony specific.

Only started happening to me last week While Using any streaming app.. I’ve tested amazon and Netflix. Restart fixes it for a day or two.

15. Michelasso, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

I am not sure I am allowed to talk about it (NDA crap) but being in the Appleseed program I have opened a bug report. No answers yet, though.

And today after the latest 11.2.5 update it still doesn't work (just tested it)...

On a slightly different matter, is it normal for the AVR (I have a Yamaha RX-v483) to take up to 10 seconds to turn on after turning on the Apple TV 4K? The TV turns on immediately. Is it again something with the Bravia (like, I don't know, the AVR is off so the ATV 4K goes through standby HDMI passthrough, the TV turns on and then the TV via HDMI-CEC turns on the AVR)? The "stop" from ATV 4K is immediate for all devices, though.

16. priitv8, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

priitv8 macrumors 68040

My all-Sony setup behaves exactly the same.
    aTV will only report to connected TV that it wants to become "active source". TV+AVR will then figure out the correct signal routing and TV will wake AVR to apply it's part of routing, if needed. AVR will also negotiate with TV and become the default Audio device (Bravia will flash a banner about that event).
    I can provide you with my CEC logs if you want to dig deeper into the protocol :D
    Power-off from aTV is sent as broadcast, ie all devices on bus receive it at same time. Everyone will process it in own pace, naturally. For example UBP-X800 will take 30-60 seconds to wrap itself up and shut down.
    PS Check the Supplement 1 CONSUMER ELECTRONICS CONTROL (CEC) on page 213 in the definitive document. It documents all required message flows.

17. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Sony XBR43X800E I have the same issue if I turn off the TV on the Apple TV input. Even buying this switch as I needed more than two 4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 color ports as I have a lot of streaming devices the Apple TV will still freeze with a black screen if I leave the switch on the Apple TV input. If I put it on any other input when I turn off the TV then turn it on the Apple TV works fine once I switch to that input.

18. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

So after the last 11.2.5 beta update the AVR turned on immediately the few times I tested it (I did few tests because I noticed that change). Now it's a bit back to the usual, maybe it take a bit less time. Having 3 pieces involved (TV, AVR, ATV 4K) who knows what's going on..

PS: I went through that document but it's a bit of a nightmare.. :D

19. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Similar issue with my X930E. I did have my ATV going through my Denon, but got tired of having to pull power on the tv to fix. So decided to plug directly into Hdmi 3 on the tv. Now after some idle time, when I go to play anything, it’s just a black screen with audio. UI seems fine....just the video is affected. Reboot of ATV fixes it. Getting tired of this.

I’m running 11.3b1.
    Tried both Amazon and Monoprice cables. Currently running the Belkins from the Apple store. Convinced it’s not a cable issue though.

20. digital1312 macrumors newbie

digital1312

using apple tv 4k with LG 65UJ7700 65" 4K tv

I have the same issue where audio keeps coming though but screen is black. restart apple tv video comes back. have swapped out cables with Tripp Lite hdmi 4k cables as well as a belkin cable and problem persists.

I've tried disabling Dolby Vision & running on HDR and issue persists.

it has be something that can be fixed with an update.

have even moved my xbox one s to the port that had the apple tv4k attached to and had zero problems with the xbox.

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I also have a bug report opened with Apple but have yet to hear anything on it. I have sent logs/sysdiagnose/console output to them.

This is interesting. So what you are saying is.....before turning off the TV, simply change the TV input to any other input, just not the one the ATV is on? I'll have to try this.

22. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

A black screen with working audio sounds like a bug in the HDCP authentication:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

It's a hardware issue... which is why Apple Store will suggest a new cord.

This is same reason why you can't take an Apple TV, plug it's HDMI-out into your computer via a 4K capture card (like for video game streaming)........ if you try to "record" Netflix content, you'll get a black screen with full audio...... somehow it "knows" you're plugged into non authenticated device, and blocks the video.

23. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, it does sound like an HDCP error between the ATV and the TV after a period of idle time. @tonyr6 had an interesting approach of making sure the TV switches to a different input before powering off. Guessing the point in this is to make sure the next time the TV is turned on, you have to change the input to the ATV input, thus forcing that handshake again. I've managed to program this into my Harmony.....so we'll see if that works.

I have tried 3 different brands of cables and probably 6-7 different cables themselves. All exhibit the problem.

24. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Sadly, changing the HDMI input to a different one before the TV is turned off doesn't seem to have worked. I woke up this morning and same problem again.....ATV UI works fine. Once I start a video in Netflix for example, all I get is a black screen with audio.

Really wish Apple would respond to my bug report.

25. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

In 11.3 beta the ATV 4K randomly turns off when turning off the TV. It worked a couple of times that I tested it. It didn't another couple of times. Well, it isn't vital.