[Apple TV 4K] Black screen while streaming video. Audio works fine.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by punkdthrice, Nov 18, 2017.

1. christsay macrumors newbie

cool, so post 11.1.

I am hoping that this is fixed in 11.4.1... if it's not I'm putting the ATV 4K on a HomeKit enabled power outlet so I can restart it from the couch :)

-chris

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I hoping it's fixed as well. Apple did respond to a bug report I had claiming it was fixed in 11.4.1....but I'm not on the beta right now so I can't check. FYI you can restart the ATV using the remote like this:

To force restart the new Apple TV, press and hold both the Menu and Home buttons. (The Home button has the silhouette of a TV or monitor on it.) After holding in both buttons for roughly 10 seconds, the white light on the Apple TV box will begin flashing

Also if you have a Harmony remote with the hub, there is a dedicated restart command you can assign to a button.

3. christsay macrumors newbie

cool, I thought I tried sleeping and waking the ATV from settings and that not cleaning up the HDCP issue but didn't try a force restart.

re: beta. I'm not installing the beta either, just not worth it for a device in production use. I've been burned before and my wife will kill me if I tank the ATV :)

-chris

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah I know some people with the Harmony even programmed a force reboot during the start up of the activity just to make sure it re-did the handshake!

5. punkdthrice thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on tvOS beta 11.4.1 Beta 1 on a Sony X800D using Rocketfish HDMI cables from Best buy. I haven't updated to the newest beta yet because I'm going on a week and a half with no issues. No black screens. I haven 't noticed any bugs or anything like that on the beta. It looks like the problem may have been fixed by Apple. I can sleep normally in 30 minutes and wake it up 4 hours later or the next day and have video!! Highly recommend updating to the latest beta.

6. betweenupdates macrumors newbie

I’m having the same problems. How does one go about installing this beta version?

7. christsay macrumors newbie

Enroll in the Public Beta program:
    https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Then go to the System Updates in Settings and select the "get beta updates" and away you go.

However... I'm going to guess that 11.4.1 will be released in the next week or so may not be worth the risk.

-chris

8. punkdthrice thread starter macrumors newbie

In Apple TV settings go to Software Update and enable Get Public Beta updates. Although I think theyre on tvOS 12 beta now and the problem is back according to Apple forums. Should just wait for tvOS 11.4.1 to release to the public then.

9. henrus macrumors newbie

I’ve installed the new TVOS and my problems are finally resolved. Hallelujah!

10. punkdthrice thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it the tvOS 11.4.1 public version? I'm currently on a beta with no issues but I'm afraid to update.

11. christsay macrumors newbie

Yep I've experienced no HDCP issues since 11.4.1 was released for real.

-chris

12. henrus macrumors newbie

Yes. Came out 3 days ago.

13. brianclam macrumors newbie

brianclam

I ended up getting a new TV this Thanksgiving. So I am finally able to play the video in UHD and I don't have the blackout / audio issue anymore.

14. alan7467 macrumors member

Been having this same issue for months with two different brand new TVs. Tried multiple HDMI cables with zero success. Between this and the randomly sluggish/unusable UI navigation I'm done with this device and with Apple in general.