[Apple TV 4K] Black screen while streaming video. Audio works fine.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
cool, so post 11.1.

I am hoping that this is fixed in 11.4.1... if it's not I'm putting the ATV 4K on a HomeKit enabled power outlet so I can restart it from the couch :)

-chris
I hoping it's fixed as well. Apple did respond to a bug report I had claiming it was fixed in 11.4.1....but I'm not on the beta right now so I can't check. FYI you can restart the ATV using the remote like this:

To force restart the new Apple TV, press and hold both the Menu and Home buttons. (The Home button has the silhouette of a TV or monitor on it.) After holding in both buttons for roughly 10 seconds, the white light on the Apple TV box will begin flashing

Also if you have a Harmony remote with the hub, there is a dedicated restart command you can assign to a button.

Reactions: eastmanweb

christsay

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
I hoping it's fixed as well. Apple did respond to a bug report I had claiming it was fixed in 11.4.1....but I'm not on the beta right now so I can't check. FYI you can restart the ATV using the remote like this:

To force restart the new Apple TV, press and hold both the Menu and Home buttons. (The Home button has the silhouette of a TV or monitor on it.) After holding in both buttons for roughly 10 seconds, the white light on the Apple TV box will begin flashing

Also if you have a Harmony remote with the hub, there is a dedicated restart command you can assign to a button.
cool, I thought I tried sleeping and waking the ATV from settings and that not cleaning up the HDCP issue but didn't try a force restart.

re: beta. I'm not installing the beta either, just not worth it for a device in production use. I've been burned before and my wife will kill me if I tank the ATV :)

-chris

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
cool, I thought I tried sleeping and waking the ATV from settings and that not cleaning up the HDCP issue but didn't try a force restart.

re: beta. I'm not installing the beta either, just not worth it for a device in production use. I've been burned before and my wife will kill me if I tank the ATV :)

-chris
Yeah I know some people with the Harmony even programmed a force reboot during the start up of the activity just to make sure it re-did the handshake!

Reactions: eastmanweb

punkdthrice

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
I'm on tvOS beta 11.4.1 Beta 1 on a Sony X800D using Rocketfish HDMI cables from Best buy. I haven't updated to the newest beta yet because I'm going on a week and a half with no issues. No black screens. I haven 't noticed any bugs or anything like that on the beta. It looks like the problem may have been fixed by Apple. I can sleep normally in 30 minutes and wake it up 4 hours later or the next day and have video!! Highly recommend updating to the latest beta.

betweenupdates

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
I'm on tvOS beta 11.4.1 Beta 1 on a Sony X800D using Rocketfish HDMI cables from Best buy. I haven't updated to the newest beta yet because I'm going on a week and a half with no issues. No black screens. I haven 't noticed any bugs or anything like that on the beta. It looks like the problem may have been fixed by Apple. I can sleep normally in 30 minutes and wake it up 4 hours later or the next day and have video!! Highly recommend updating to the latest beta.

I’m having the same problems. How does one go about installing this beta version?

christsay

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
Enroll in the Public Beta program:
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Then go to the System Updates in Settings and select the "get beta updates" and away you go.

However... I'm going to guess that 11.4.1 will be released in the next week or so may not be worth the risk.

-chris

punkdthrice

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
I’m having the same problems. How does one go about installing this beta version?
In Apple TV settings go to Software Update and enable Get Public Beta updates. Although I think theyre on tvOS 12 beta now and the problem is back according to Apple forums. Should just wait for tvOS 11.4.1 to release to the public then.

brianclam

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2018
I ended up getting a new TV this Thanksgiving. So I am finally able to play the video in UHD and I don't have the blackout / audio issue anymore.

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Been having this same issue for months with two different brand new TVs. Tried multiple HDMI cables with zero success. Between this and the randomly sluggish/unusable UI navigation I'm done with this device and with Apple in general.

visusest

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
pa_usa
Anyone else have any suggestions here? I’m on a 4th gen with 12.1.2 and started having similar issues about a month ago. Sound will keep playing a bit longer through the AVR after the picture blanks. Sometimes it recovers on its own after a few seconds, but toggling the AVR input usually recovers the picture of its blacked out longer.

Brian Thorngaard

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
I am working with these things on a daily basis. The problem is with the TV's they are not fast enough to register when the frame rate is switching. So in the Match content setting, do not activate the Frame rate Match.
The hole problem is that sometimes the signal peaks more than the 18 Gbps, which is the HDMI limit today. Sometimes the signal peaks up to 22 Gbps. So a HDMI 2.1 cable might fix the issue, or help.
But next is the Belkin cable. I am extremelly annoyed that they say the cable is a HDM 2.1. The HDMI 2.1 cable specs are not finalised, so nobody has a 2.1 HDMI cable. this is a complete lie.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
But next is the Belkin cable. I am extremelly annoyed that they say the cable is a HDM 2.1. The HDMI 2.1 cable specs are not finalised, so nobody has a 2.1 HDMI cable. this is a complete lie.
Does it automatically mean, that said Belkin cable is unable to sustain 48Gbps bandwidth? I don't think so.
It's like the 802.11n products were on sale in draft-spec status,, long before the spec was finalised.