Apple TV 4th Gen Tips and Advice

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Huntn, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Just got it. :):) Previously had a 3rd gen.

Yes, it's advanced, but I don't like the remote. Maybe as time goes by, I'll get used to it.

Spastic Remote- A heads up which might save a phone call, headache or trip to Apple Store. If your remote is spastic to the point of being defective and you ApplevTV is new out of the box, go to settings and update it. I find it very curious on initial boot why it did not initiate this on it's own? That fixed the spastic remote for me.

Apps- why are apps buried? I'd like to designate and have a page of favorites for quick navigation. Is there a way to do this?

2. satcomer, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. Huntn, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

What games do you play? I suppose we are talking App Store Games. :) Actually might be a huge improvement over onscreen buttons.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the review! I'll comment as soon as I can watch it with sound. In the realm of mobile apps , I discovered Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle (iOS and Android) that is currently entertaining me.

On ATV I assume you are limited to App Store Games?

6. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Tip: If you have wired headphones and want to use them with the AppleTV rather than buy expensive Bluetooth headphones you can purchase a Bluetooth audio receiver and use your headphones with that. Amazon sells one in their AmazonBasics line that I use ($20), works fine, one caveat being the receiver requires its own AC power adapter, so you will be tethered to that and may want a 3.5mm extension cable for your headphones. One nice thing is the Apple Siri Remote controls the volume directly through the Apple TV. Pairing is as simple as searching for Bluetooth devices on the AppleTV and then pressing the sync button on the back of the receiver.
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...8-1&keywords=amazon+basics+bluetooth+receiver
    71QPO-LZYNL._SL1500_.jpg

7. fpnc macrumors 68000

Thanks for the mention about the Amazon Bluetooth receiver. However, after reading the manufacturer's description I found the following note:

"The Bluetooth Audio Receiver should be plugged into your speakers or amplifier. Sound quality will diminish when plugged into headphones."

So, I don't think that is a good choice for connecting to headphones.

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Uh, you can get a decent pair of BT headphones for 20 bucks.

9. Huntn, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Interesting choices here, I most likely will try one or two on my iPad and/or Apple TV once I decide on a controller. :)

Tech wise, which Bluetooth controller are you guys using with an iPad/Apple TV? On this Amazon page, prices run from $16 to $60, but I assume the cheap ones are cheap.

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Huntn,

I use the Steel Series Nimbus, mostly because another MR member reviewed a few controllers in another thread. He liked that one the best and his reasoning seemed sound. It also charges from Lightning, same as the remote, so that's convenient. (Although I've never had to charge the remote.)

The big selling points to me were that it was larger, which I find more comfortable, and its firmware can be updated unlike the others which are stuck as is (granted that may turn out to be worthless).

Here is his review, which you might find helpful:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-and-sega-games.1933938/page-18#post-22417118

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks you! I'll keep this in mind when I make the jump to an Apple TV game, which could be soon. ;)

12. cynics macrumors G4

My only tip is try to utilize Siri.

I find it especially useful if you are marathon watching TV shows to skip the intro credits. "Fast forward one minute 25 seconds." or whatever the length of the intro is for your particular show. I find that so much easier then trying to scrub passed it.

Its also MUCH easier to use in searches rather then trying to type out what you are looking for. In Youtube for example.

13. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Yeah, I've got to say the new Remote is a bit of a headache with the glass touch pad not being the most intuitive thing Apple have ever designed. Sometimes rewind functions just don't work or you have to be touching a very specific area of the touch pad to get certain functions to work.

Also why would they put a big glossy surface on the bottom of the remote?! Its guaranteed to get grubby and scratched very quickly. Not sure why Apple have this obsession with covering their products with delicate materials and surfaces which only look good before you take them out of the box. It only makes their products look like they wear badly in the long run, not great advertisement. Looking at you, Jet Black.

14. jdag macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest a quick trip over to eBay...search for a remote case and you will see tons of neoprene cases for just a few bucks. I have 3 ATV4s and bought a 5 pack of cases for, if I recall properly, about $4-$6 for all 5 of them, free shipping. Well worth it. They really do make the remote easier to use (no sliding off of the arm rests, better grip, easier to find because of bright colors).