Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreenPixel

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2014
Still, regardless - if true - if this picture was taken back in 2014 or recently ... I find if VERY difficult to believe a woman with such financial prowess, wealth, and influence on so many men, and woman across the globe that OPRAH would not have heard rumours even back then to be VERY cautious around this worm! Especially given her past of being raped horribly and the very difficulty of emotions affecting filming during The Color Purple!

I think she more than knew.

Attachments

• fg7k39t85x141.jpg
    fg7k39t85x141.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 175
  • Wow
Reactions: IG88 and DeepIn2U

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
What are you even talking about? Are you reading things I'm not saying?

A question was asked---"give me an example of a 'bumbling pass.'"

I provided that example.

I indicated this would likely be called "sexual misconduct."

I did not mention being fired or corporate policy.

My whole point was to explain how amorphous the term "sexual misconduct" is.

It can refer to anything from a "bumbling pass" at a woman to rape.

It's an ill defined word that is so broad as to make it meaningless.

Other than that, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Were you not in class the day the teacher taught everyone else how to read and comprehend?

Did you miss that day?

Jesus.

And I responded to the scenario you set up. If the scenario was in a club, at a gym, on the street. My response would be different.

The moment you put the setting in a workplace it raises the bar on “bumbling”.....
Meaning work isn’t the place for romance. Period.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I was very skeptical of AT+.

I've since watched a good deal of The Morning Show, Truth Be Told and Servant.

I will admit I was wrong and feel those three shows in particular are terrific and just better than most (but not all) of Netflix's catalog.

I agree Apple is looking to be more like HBO than Netflix and I think they going to succeed.

I continue to think See is trash though----I can understand what they were going for, but it's just so comically preposterous--armies of blind people riding horses and navigating them through vast stretches of the country.

Can't hit on all of them, but Apple is doing a really solid job.

Of all the shows, I actually liked See the most, but I have always been a fan of “into the badlands” type of shows. I agree that it does require a lot more suspension of disbelief, like their clothes being ridiculously colour-coordinated for a blind society, but ultimately, it’s a show about blind people made for people aren’t blind, so something has got to give. Jason Mamoa really carries the whole show.

I just couldn’t watch “for all mankind”, though it seems quite popular here.

By the time the TV+ free trial expires at the end of the year, we would have gotten second seasons of the original shows, plus a larger stable of original content. Throw in an annual subscription plan to reduce churn, and I think it won’t be too long before TV+ breaks even or starts to turn a profit.

The incumbents would take care not to underestimate Apple’s ability to rewrite the rules of the respective industries they compete in.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
And I responded to the scenario you set up. If the scenario was in a club, at a gym, on the street. My response would be different.

The moment you put the setting in a workplace it raises the bar on “bumbling”.....
Meaning work isn’t the place for romance. Period.
That's the stupidest illogical comment ever made.
You do realise that the workplace is where a large amount of married people first meet, don't you. Clearly not.

If the guy didn't ask said colleague on a date, said 'romance' wouldn't occur now would it.
Somehow you're of the delution that humans interacting in the workplace automatically means they'd never feel attraction to one another due to the space they happen to be in. Highly unlikely.

That doesn't mean everyone is having random rampant sex in the store cupboard either.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
That's the stupidest illogical comment ever made.
You do realise that the workplace is where a large amount of married people first meet, don't you. Clearly not.

If the guy didn't ask said colleague on a date, said 'romance' wouldn't occur now would it.
Somehow you're of the delution that humans interacting in the workplace automatically means they'd never feel attraction to one another due to the space they happen to be in. Highly unlikely.

That doesn't mean everyone is having random rampant sex in the store cupboard either.

I never mixed work and pleasure.

• Haha
Reactions: Ar40

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I never mixed work and pleasure.

I don’t think anyone is stating otherwise. But don’t you think others might? I’ve seen many situations in which romance started between two working individuals at work. I think it’s within human nature to get involved in a sexual relation, not because each individual is in need for that, like you’ve stated yourself, but because if the situation presents itself it simply might (again not always) trickers that need.

Simply put, yes, a working contract most often doesn’t involve getting into relationship with your co-workers or clients, unless you work in the red light district down here in Amsterdam the Netherlands where I live, but humans do have emotions, once a person trickers these emotions, one way or the other, people could simply fall in love or feel sexual attracted.

It’s, imho, not about being good or wrong here, these things simply happens within the context of being human. It’s only bad when it occurs in ways which are ethical wrong, for example when one person is using his or her status at work to suppress another co-worker in search for sexual conduct. Then you’re talking about abuse.

Reactions: IG88 and Ar40

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I don’t think anyone is stating otherwise. But don’t you think others might? I’ve seen many situations in which romance started between two working individuals at work. I think it’s within human nature to get involved in a sexual relation, not because each individual is in need for that, like you’ve stated yourself, but because if the situation presents itself it simply might (again not always) trickers that need.

Simply put, yes, a working contract most often doesn’t involve getting into relationship with your co-workers or clients, unless you work in the red light district down here in Amsterdam the Netherlands where I live, but humans do have emotions, once a person trickers these emotions, one way or the other, people could simply fall in love or feel sexual attracted.

It’s, imho, not about being good or wrong here, these things simply happens within the context of being human. It’s only bad when it occurs in ways which are ethical wrong, for example when one person is using his or her status at work to suppress another co-worker in search for sexual conduct. Then you’re talking about abuse.

Did you see the original post I replied to?

The poster set up a scenario in a workplace to explain ‘bumbling conversation’ with the opposite sex. The scene was a married guy awkwardly Talking to his married female coworker whom he thought was “giving him the look” so to speak. And then suggested they meet up later.......!

The poster later said there was nothing illegal about this encounter. Although stupid, does not rise to the level as sexual assault or sexual misconduct.

That scenario is textbook sexual misconduct in any workplace.

Personally I had (I am now married) a strict separation of work and pleasure mantra.

BTW yes romance can start in the workplace. But every job I know of has HR rules in place to allow courting and at the same time, avoid sexual misconduct.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Problem with your argument is the fact that everybody in Hollywood knew about HW so although your point is valid and fair, it really is not in this case.

Yeah, as a woman you should never be pictured kissing a man. Because if they ever get busted for being a rapist, you’ll be dragged down with them.

And you’ll deserve it! After all, you should have known he was a rapist. Oprah, you should be ashamed of yourself!

And if you’re not, no problem. Because we’ll shame you.

#Oprahsshamefulkiss

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I would be embarrassed if I posted a critique of a post without providing any rationale or basis.

I’ll provide the rationale or basis, that is so obvious, the user you are replying to didn’t bother elaborating upon.

You claim ATV+ has 5 great shows (highly debatable), while Netflix, in it’s entire library, cannot match it.

I don’t know how you could claim this with a straight face, sounds like an Onion story. Utter drivel.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I’ll provide the rationale or basis, that is so obvious, the user you are replying to didn’t bother elaborating upon.

You claim ATV+ has 5 great shows (highly debatable), while Netflix, in it’s entire library, cannot match it.

I don’t know how you could claim this with a straight face, sounds like an Onion story. Utter drivel.
And here I was just talking about the typos.... ;)

Also look at his joined date... Post iPhone Apple fan.

Maybe Apple is putting subliminal messages such as (must love Apple TV+ even if it isn't good) into their shows and films while watching on Apple Hardware.... You wondered what the T2 chip was really for...

Last edited:

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017

I stand by that. The only good originals on Netflix are Stranger Things, Mindhunters, Bodyguard, and Daredevil. Apple has that beat with The Morning Show, See, Dickinson, Servant, and For All Mankind.

• Disagree
Reactions: ipponrg

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Other than a bunch of failed actress feminists with only words against a very wealthy person years after the alleged event, where is any of your evidence that any of these things actually took place? It seems like you want to pick and choose when believing things fits your agenda.
Wait, why do I need evidence? You failed, spectacularly, to grasp my rather simple point: that blaming Oprah, or anyone else, for associating with Harvey Weinstein is false righteousness. Posturing that they should have known and done something when it’s impossible to know what they knew or didn’t know.

Also, “failed actress feminists”? Nice victim blaming/shaming.

Reactions: jimthing

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Wait, why do I need evidence? You failed, spectacularly, to grasp my rather simple point: that blaming Oprah, or anyone else, for associating with Harvey Weinstein is false righteousness. Posturing that they should have known and done something when it’s impossible to know what they knew or didn’t know.

Also, “failed actress feminists”? Nice victim blaming/shaming.
You don’t know who is a victim until there are FACTS. And when you make an accusation, you need FACTS to back it up. Is that a simple concept? Or one you don’t agree with?

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York

"This is not a victory for Russell. I unequivocally say that I did not pull out because of Russell. This is not a victory lap for him. I cannot be silenced by a Russell Simmons after all I've been through."

"I don't care about awards—I just care about getting it right, and I think there are some inconsistencies in the stories that we need to look at. I wanted the context of the story to be broadened, I wanted more women brought into the story," she said.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Problem with your argument is the fact that everybody in Hollywood knew about HW so although your point is valid and fair, it really is not in this case.
The problem with your argument is it’s not true. “Everybody in Hollywood” knew? So Oprah, who was raped when she was nine years old, knew Weinstein was a rapist and she thought, what a great guy, I can’t wait to get my picture taken kissing him.

Yeah sure ?

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The problem with your argument is it’s not true. “Everybody in Hollywood” knew? So Oprah, who was raped when she was nine years old, knew Weinstein was a rapist and she thought, what a great guy, I can’t wait to get my picture taken kissing him.

Yeah sure ?

I wouldnt say everyone in Hollywood, but it’s certainly not surprising. When I worked in that industry, you hear a lot of he said / she said. Many try to network despite whatever stories they have heard about the people they are networking with

• Disagree
Reactions: Breezygirl and Ar40

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I wouldnt say everyone in Hollywood, but it’s certainly not surprising. When I worked in that industry, you hear a lot of he said / she said. Many try to network despite whatever stories they have heard about the people they are networking with
I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing? Also, I’m not sure what you mean by “it’s certainly not surprising”? What isn’t?

Anyway, I was referring to Oprah and a picture of her kissing Weinstein that was posted early in this thread. The person who posted it thought it was taken in 2018, a year after the women accused Weinstein of rape and other crimes. It was actually taken 4 years prior.

Last edited:

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing? Also, I’m not sure what you mean by “it’s certainly not surprising”? What isn’t?

Anyway, I was referring to Oprah and a picture of her kissing Weinstein that was posted early in this thread. The person who posted it thought it was taken in 2018, a year after the women accused Weinstein of rape and other crimes. It was actually taken 4 years prior.

i am specifically talking about what people knew of Weinstein and some of the moguls in the industry. Yeah I know the photo was taken 4 yrs prior of the accusations.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Ok, let me rephrase that. Not 'everybody' but most. See the response below yours. It was a common knowledge in the circles.

Yeah sure ?

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
I've read several takes from people that watched the documentary at Sundance. The most interesting take for me is a mini-review from author and columnist Demetria L. Lucas:

I get why Russell Simmons moved to Bali, a city in a country that has no extradition treaty with the US. Bali’s dope. I wouldn’t question why anyone would move to Bali... unless it was someone with 20 women accusing them of rape or attempted rape. Not ‘I was hazy on consent’ rape, but ‘he pinned me down, I was screaming “no” and fighting and he raped me anyway’ kinda rape. The statue of limitations is up on most of the alleged crimes. Not all. Hence #RussellinBali

This isn’t a one-woman story, or a one-off incident. This was an alleged pattern of behavior over 30 years and NINE women are talking about it in #ontherecord

I watched the film looking for the reasons Oprah signed on and pulled out. Seriously, I can’t figure it out. There’s nothing that gives me greater pause than any other doc about assault, which is notoriously hard to prove. The women seemed credible, if for no other reason than nine people who never met or barely knew each other had the same damn story.

• Wow
Reactions: sidewinder3000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.