Apple TV App Available on Roku Starting Today

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Roku today announced that the Apple TV app will be available on its platform starting today, allowing users to access their iTunes libraries of movies and TV shows, the Apple TV Channels feature, and soon Apple TV+.

The Apple TV app can be downloaded from the Roku Channel Store on smart TVs that either have Roku preinstalled or have a Roku dongle connected, although select older Roku models are not supported.

The Apple TV app is available to Roku users in the United States, Argentina, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, France, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

In addition to Roku, Apple TV+ will be available through the Apple TV app on the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, select 2018 and newer Samsung smart TVs, and on select LG, Sony, and VIZIO smart TVs in the future. Apple TV+ will also be available on the web at tv.apple.com.

Apple TV+ launches November 1. ?The subscription-based video service will be priced at $4.99 per month with a one-week free trial. Up to six family members can share a single ?Apple TV?+ subscription through Family Sharing.

Article Link: Apple TV App Available on Roku Starting Today

Last edited:

nomad411

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
Canada
No luck on my new TCL R617 TV yet..
- - Post merged: - -

This is great. So does that mean you can get by without apple tv hardware?
AirPlay 2 was also supposed to come with it.. No mention in their announcement.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I guess they realised that to maximize potential viewers they needed to expand beyond iOS and Apple TVs.

They will probably lose some Apple TV sales but hopefully make that back in subscriptions.

Hopefully this will mean it will come to more devices and maybe one day plex.

Reactions: Gasu E.

adamw

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
Just checked on my Channel List on my Sharp and TCL Roku TVs and no mention yet of an Apple TV app.

Last edited:

Necross

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
I have a samsung TV and apple isn't listed for me either. Why is it only "select" TVs?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68030
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Well, there goes my criticism of Apple ignoring the AppleTV hardware...considering Roku’s ubiquitousness as a Smart TV platform, this is unusually pragmatic of Apple. Granted, AppleTV+ is going to have a minimal footprint out of the gate, this is an important development for them long term.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
If you have a 4k TV with Roku built in, (TCL 6 series) does the AppleTV app play back 4k movies?

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
So the list of supported models is here:

It lists 3810X as supported, what about the 3810R that Best Buy sells?

I would love to have a Roku instead of the Apple TV. Only reason I have the Apple TV is because of the TV shows I bought through iTunes over the years.

en0x

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
This is good, i already have airplay working on my vizio tv and now this . perfect

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
They will probably lose some Apple TV sales but hopefully make that back in subscriptions.
Is it really a lost sale if people with smart tvs or Roku devices never would have bought one?

I find a Roku device to be better.

ApplelD

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Auburn, WA
Ok guys... I’ve read up on a bunch of TV models looking for ones that support the Apple TV app as well as AirPlay, found a Samsung RU740D fits those much more clearly than other TVs, since that the only one I’ve found near me on sale and I was able to verify both worked with the salesman, however now that this news comes out does any have a recommendation for one of these Roku TVs that would be $449 or less and 55” or larger like the Samsung I was looking at first? And do these Rokus also include AirPlay?

rezzo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Chile
I hope that the next platform to receive the Apple TV+ service is Android TV devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.