Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that the Apple TV app has launched on the $50 Chromecast with Google TV, which is the latest version of the Chromecast dongle.

chromecast-with-google-tv.jpg

Google said in December that the Apple TV app would be coming to Chromecast early in 2021, with the app set to expand to other Android TV devices in the future.

With the Apple TV app now available, Chromecast users can access Apple TV+ content with an Apple TV+ subscription, watch content from Apple TV channels, and access purchased and rented TV shows and movies.

TV shows and movies from Apple TV+ can be added to the Google TV Watchlist, and Google Assistant voice commands are available.

Article Link: Apple TV App Now Available on Google's Latest Chromecast Device

• Love
Reactions: sracer and Ar40

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
True. But they're leaving so much money on the table by not having their own $50 device.
How much do you expect them to make on the $50 devices? Not asking to be argumentative, but just the component costs, licensing fees for technologies included within them, manufacturing, packaging, shipping, etc, I’d have to imagine they don’t make much if any profit on that $50 device.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
What about just allowing the app on my phone to cast to the original chromecast that still works like a charm?

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I have a Chromecast 3rd generation. Is this supported? I didn't see a list of supported devices listed in the article.

I have 2 Apple TVs, and 2 Roku's so having third party supported devices isn't any question here. Just wondered if I can use my existing chrome cast to access iTunes content.

Thanks.

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
How much do you expect them to make on the $50 devices? Not asking to be argumentative, but just the component costs, licensing fees for technologies included within them, manufacturing, packaging, shipping, etc, I’d have to imagine they don’t make much if any profit on that $50 device.
Take a loss on the hardware. Build up services more. They can afford it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Apple is thinking in terms of profit so let other companies subsidize the low cost $50 device while profiting off of delivering service.
That is essentially how I see it too. I don’t think Google makes any profit at all from Chromecast sales, they count on some sales of services, and likely get more from data gathering they can obtain from what people are watching / doing on those devices in their homes.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
What about just allowing the app on my phone to cast to the original chromecast that still works like a charm?

Original Chromecast was great for its time but it's a dog now with limited h.264 and vp8 codec support at 1080p30 max. Prefer Fire TV Stick 4K hardware and remote over Chromecast with Google TV but prefer Android TV interface. Suggest waiting for new devices that supports AV1 hardware decode which none of the current popular devices from Amazon, Google and Apple have.

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

UndefinedxJoker

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
NJ
True. But they're leaving so much money on the table by not having their own $50 device.
Those $50 devices are super slow and clunky. Don’t think Apple would want to put out such a cheap product just to compete.

What they really need to do is release a real TV already.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Original Chromecast was great for its time but it's a dog now with limited h.264 and vp8 codec support at 1080p30 max. Prefer Fire TV Stick 4K hardware and remote over Chromecast with Google TV but prefer Android TV interface. Suggest waiting for new devices that supports AV1 hardware decode which none of the current popular devices from Amazon, Google and Apple have.

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media
It still works with everything though! Powers the old tv quite nicely in the bedroom, Apple are the only service that it can't cast.

Charlie_Croker

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Apple can make the Apple TV app for a $50 device, but it can't make a $50 Apple TV?

*sigh*
Apple doesn't need to invest engineering and development resources to develop a $50 AppleTV anymore than Porsche need to develop a $20,000 911. What profit would Apple make? and it would cannibalise sales from the ATV 4K. (Where I'm guessing they make a very nice profit, why build 15 $50 ATVs to make the same profit you can from 1 ATV4K sale?). It's about profit not marketshare.
Google can do that for them and that way apple make money on ATV+ subscriptions from people who would never have paid for an ATV in the first place.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I bought one of these just to check it out and if you’re a movie fan, it’s a piece of crap. Once you set the resolution, it doesn’t auto change to match the content and play back correctly at 24fps for most movies or 60fps like other media. It will only playback at whatever you set it to.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
What they really need to do is release a real TV already.
I'm half surprised they haven't just for the hilarity that would ensue trying to explain how you watch your Apple TV+ shows on the Apple TV app on your Apple TV box which is hooked up to your Apple TV, er, TV.

Reactions: Ajaxpinch

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Does anyone know if the next gen Apple TV is incoming soon?

I wanted to upgrade from ATV 4 to 4K, but I gotta feeling that they'd announce the next gen immediately after the return window is over if I were to get it now. ?

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
YES. Finally. Now this will cause some massive confusion and rethinking from Android nation, who (at least on Twitter) think you need an actual Apple device to access TV+. Very good move by Apple to expand its horizons.

MacStreamer

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2020
I don't see Apple putting in effort to provide a cheap product. That's not something they do in general. If you want cheap, that's what Roku is for and you can still access your Apple TV content. The money is in subscriptions not hardware.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40

Charlie_Croker

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
So the cheap ATV costs Apple say $40 per unit to make, design, develop and sell, the retailer takes say $7 and Apple make $3 per unit. Then you have a low cost apple device, that's soon out of date, doesn't work well and has to compete with Chromecast and FireTV 4K, if they get in a price war they could end up selling at a loss.

I can't see the "money on the table is worth the effort." Plus a cheap, low quality device might be worse than the Chromecast/Firestick and devalue the Apple brand, even if it can compete (and I can see Google and Amazon lowering their prices and a race to the bottom ensuing.) , how long will it last before its outdated, and purchasers feel they have been "shortchanged"? Quality brands don't usually end up "chasing the (low end) money on the table."
To summarise It would be poor business sense, I would rather see a new ATV, with a bias towards gaming, with an M1 SOC, 128 (minimum) storage etc, rather than a cheap $50 device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.