Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Talk to the people/firms that own the distribution rights because Apple has nothing to do with the fact that they can not offer these films outside of specific geographic areas.
It’s complete nonsense that the biggest tech company in the world would not be capable of setting up more deals with movie distributors.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
That's unfair. You have NO idea what happened behind the scenes. Perhaps there was a studio restriction that Apple couldn't do anything about. I wish people would stop trying to turn assumptions, often completely wrong, into reality with no objective basis for doing so.

says you and others who are assuming there must be a restriction that apple couldn't get over when apple didnt bother to say anything.

I don't need to know anything behind the scenes to know apple could have provided the films to a European audience. they clearly could have, at a cost. they provided it to the US, at a cost. id understand it if there were some of the films they had difficulty getting rights to and instead provided others. it happens.

Fact is like other European Apple TV plus users im paying more than you are and getting less of a service. and apple are big enough to be able to provide a set of films even if its not the same ones. I do have objective basis for saying that.

Bear in mind by the way, my Apple TV+ subscription cost exactly doubled from last year to this year. so I think ive got a right to be a wee bit annoyed when they spend money to give other regions a better product than im getting.

and the second point, I don't need to know anything behind the scenes at macrumor to know their article writer couldn't give a toss about European writers or else he'd have mentioned in the headline or first sentence so we skipped on.

not a major biggy from either, both mildly annoying, but lets not make up things to defend them

Reactions: hagar

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
It’s complete nonsense that the biggest tech company in the world would not be capable of setting up more deals with movie distributors.
What you are overlooking is the simple fact is someone else owns the rights and they aren’t interested in selling them to Apple. It’s not nonsense. It’s just business.

Reactions: NetMage

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
What you are overlooking is the simple fact is someone else owns the rights and they aren’t interested in selling them to Apple. It’s not nonsense. It’s just business.

How do you know that ??? You’ve just stated a fact that you made up.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chazak

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
How do you know that ??? You’ve just stated a fact that you made up.
Or Apple isn't interested in buying the rights. Deepest apology for not completing the sentence. Does that remedy the problem you have with my statement.

Have you got a supported conclusion that says I am wrong? I would love to hear your explanation of whyApple did not make them available in other markets.

FYI, it's not made up. I have experience with licensing of media distribution rights.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Or Apple isn't interested in buying the rights. Deepest apology for not completing the sentence. Does that remedy the problem you have with my statement.

Have you got a supported conclusion that says I am wrong? I would love to hear your explanation of whyApple did not make them available in other markets.

FYI, it's not made up. I have experience with licensing of media distribution rights.

It is made up. You have no idea whether Apple had a problem getting rights. It doesn’t matter what your experience is if you have no inside knowledge.

And finishing your sentence. Yeah could be. All we know is that Apple is paying for the rights to a lot of films for the American audience and hasn’t for European audience despite us paying at least the same. And it rankles more because we are paying twice what we were a year ago. Pretty ****** tbh.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chazak

Polinsky

Suspended
Oct 7, 2023
Fact is like other European Apple TV plus users im paying more than you are and getting less of a service. and apple are big enough to be able to provide a set of films even if its not the same ones. I do have objective basis for saying that.
That's not an objective basis! It's your opinion which isn't based upon any facts.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
It is made up. You have no idea whether Apple had a problem getting rights. It doesn’t matter what your experience is if you have no inside knowledge.

And finishing your sentence. Yeah could be. All we know is that Apple is paying for the rights to a lot of films for the American audience and hasn’t for European audience despite us paying at least the same. And it rankles more because we are paying twice what we were a year ago. Pretty ****** tbh.
Sorry you are rankled. Perhaps you should make Apple aware of your displeasure. So sorry direct experience is determined by you to be irrelevant.

My experience in media rights licensing business allows me to say with certainty, whether or not I have access to Apple's inside data, there are only two reasons for this. Either the rights for Europe are not for sale or they are and Apple is either not interested or they are unwilling to pay what the owner of the rights wants. If you have direct knowledge or a logical explanation as to another reason, I would like to hear it. I am very willing to admit I am in error if you can substantiate what you are saying.

These are business decisions and that is all they are. When I do business with someone and I don't like their policies or pricing, I take my business elsewhere. If you feel you are not getting value for what you pay for Apple TV you should cancel your subscription.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
This is essentially an admission that their originals only strategy is not going to work.

Not that it’s necessarily a bad thing, but it indicates a clear pivot. These are good movies, but I’m betting the rights were relatively cheap.

Now do some really good TV shows. And fix the damn interface. Stop copying Disney, they don’t know what they’re doing either.
Not necessarily. It could be a treat for the people that are on Vision Pro. Or just a draw to get people signed up for it and hope they stay

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
So of all the movies in the world, Apple is unable to license 50 titles for regions outside the US. Djeezes. Come back when you invented another excuse.

kkee

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2023
Sydney
This needs to be the future of Apple and it will Make Apple TV and real contender against the Netflixes of the world!

I don't understand why they wouldn't license more content like this..

fingers crossed they do and fingers crossed for the UK ha
I guess this is just one time limited treat for Vision Pro users mostly. Do not expect Apple Tv+ to be another junkie Netflix. It is an original platform and will always be.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
That's pretty neat... this is the sole reason id like a cut down Vision Pro for media consumption
As an owner, I'd say media consumption is by far(!) my number one use case. If you ever want to experience a movie/show like you're sitting in the 3rd row of an empty movie theater, this is your ticket.

Reactions: Fuzzball84

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Sorry you are rankled. Perhaps you should make Apple aware of your displeasure. So sorry direct experience is determined by you to be irrelevant.

My experience in media rights licensing business allows me to say with certainty, whether or not I have access to Apple's inside data, there are only two reasons for this. Either the rights for Europe are not for sale or they are and Apple is either not interested or they are unwilling to pay what the owner of the rights wants. If you have direct knowledge or a logical explanation as to another reason, I would like to hear it. I am very willing to admit I am in error if you can substantiate what you are saying.

These are business decisions and that is all they are. When I do business with someone and I don't like their policies or pricing, I take my business elsewhere. If you feel you are not getting value for what you pay for Apple TV you should cancel your subscription.
you don't need any experience to say that mate. you've basically said 'you are wrong....or you are right'

anyway, enjoy your movies, that im helping pay for :D

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
So of all the movies in the world, Apple is unable to license 50 titles for regions outside the US. Djeezes. Come back when you invented another excuse.
Apple if they wanted could absolutely license a massive catalogue of movies with exclusivity but they just choose not too for some reason. Money talks and they have plenty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.