Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple TV+ Joins 'Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment' Anti-Piracy Coalition

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Apple TV+ division has joined the Motion Picture Association of America's Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE), an anti-piracy group committed to "supporting the legal marketplace for video content and addressing the challenge of online piracy."

ACE first launched in June 2017 with Netflix and Amazon as founding members, and dozens of movie and content studios have joined like Comcast, Disney, NBC, BBC, AMC, MGM, ViacomCBS, Paramount, Fox, and others.

Apple TV+ will join the ACE governing board, which includes Amazon, Disney, NBCUniversal, Netflix, Paramount, Sony Pictures, Warner Bros., in addition to Apple.

ACE's goal is to disrupt the piracy ecosystem that harms creators, with streaming piracy representing 80 percent of all piracy today, costing companies as much as $71 billion annually. As noted by Axios, streaming piracy is a greater concern to Apple now that it has original streaming content to protect.
Streaming piracy is a growing problem representing 80% of all piracy today. Unlawful piracy operations put incredible innovation, creativity and investment at risk, to the detriment of creators, innovators and consumers alike. According to the Global Innovation Policy Center, piracy costs as much as $71 billion annually in lost domestic revenues. Additionally, consumers are harmed when accessing illegal content - one-third of pirate sites target consumers with malware that can lead to a range of problems, including identify theft and financial loss, according to a report by Digital Citizens Alliance.
An estimated 23 million individuals across nine million U.S. households use a pirate subscription IPTV service. Since it was founded, ACE has "achieved many successful global enforcement actions" against illegal streaming services and sources of unauthorized content.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Joins 'Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment' Anti-Piracy Coalition

• Love
Reactions: Ar40

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68030
Feb 24, 2009
Piracy will never go away. If they focused their efforts on having a coherent streaming presence instead of trying to fight a losing uphill battle while charging an arm and a leg for everything it wouldn't be a problem.

Who is charging an arm and a leg for things? There is more content today than ever before. It's easily accessible, and it's never been cheaper.

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Who is charging an arm and a leg for things? There is more content today than ever before. It's easily accessible, and it's never been cheaper.

Completely agree. I’m not going to make a huge deal about pirating, but I don’t understand arguments like “well they should just make things cheaper or more accessible”

No one is entitled to anything and it isn’t your right to get something just because you want it

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68040
Jun 18, 2014
Digital music stores + streaming music services killed music piracy. Make it easier and cheaper to consume your video content and piracy will go away.

Bundling your TV channels/content into expensive packages with the exclusion of a few channels/shows that most people want is not the way to go.

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
Who is charging an arm and a leg for things?

Don't be that guy. don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. As the world of consumers discovered years ago the steaming dream is over. You want one service? Fine, it's not much. You want shows on multiple services? And then add in sports? You'll end up paying more than cable ever was. It's ridiculous. Music piracy effectively ended the day Spotify and others got their act together. Imagine Warner and Sony and all the labels had their OWN music streaming service that they wanted people to pay for. It would be ridiculous.

If these poor big mega rich corporations want to end piracy then they'll need to make it as easy as possible or people to get their products and that includes not each having their own little world. People will do what's easiest. And if that means piracy then so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
If these poor big mega rich corporations want to end piracy then they'll need to make it as easy as possible or people to get their products and that includes not each having their own little world. People will do what's easiest. And if that means piracy then so be it.
Music and movies/tv are very different.

The problem is that everyone wants to pay for what they watch a la carte. Which is what they say. What they really mean is: “I want to watch everything for $10/mo.” Think about bandwidth and infrastructure. Music and video are different.
"We are a global coalition of leading content creators......"

So why is Apple among them?
TV+ Just won an Emmy. Like a week ago. It’s not even a year old.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2019
The problem is that everyone wants to pay for what they watch a la carte. Which is what they say. What they really mean is: “I want to watch everything for $10/mo.”

I can’t speak for others, but I would gladly buy individual shows on iTunes for $3 an episode / $20–$30 a season. This is in fact what I was doing until all of these streaming services came along (including Apple’s own), and decided not to offer their new shows on iTunes...

Last edited:

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
Music and movies/tv are very different.

The problem is that everyone wants to pay for what they watch a la carte. Which is what they say. What they really mean is: “I want to watch everything for $10/mo.” Think about bandwidth and infrastructure. Music and video are different.

This isn’t directed at you but to them: that’s not my problem.

I’m a tech enthusiast and I feel that way, the general public most assuredly feels the same. And they do, or else they pirate.

I don’t care if it’s $10 or $25, if they got their act together they’d stop piracy. It’s not my opinion it’s just the fact of the matter

Realityck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
An estimated 23 million individuals across nine million U.S. households use a pirate subscription IPTV service.
Hardware companies that distribute content on their TVs, computers, or phones have typically had less incentive to tackle piracy. But now that Apple is another content provider they need to invest much more heavily in protecting their original content rights for the Apple TV+ streaming service, hence joining ACE.

At the most if you can shut down these pirate sites, you are just hopeful that those same subscribers then want to go to the legit sites. :)

gaximus

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2011
Completely agree. I’m not going to make a huge deal about pirating, but I don’t understand arguments like “well they should just make things cheaper or more accessible”

No one is entitled to anything and it isn’t your right to get something just because you want it
Agreed, I think some services should be cheaper, but I would never use that as an excuse to pirate the content. I've only pirated one thing since I've had a real job and wasn't in school, and that was because I couldn't find it anywhere to pay for it.

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
Piracy is bad and artists should be paid for their work and unfortunately, so long as corporations are in charge, the artists will always be paid through the corporation which takes their huge cut first. The record labels weren't exactly pioneers but that model is unchanged. I pay Netflix and they pay some money to the people responsible for creating the content. I read recently that Amazon's Direct Prime which allows creators to upload series and collect money on the backend based on views pays insanely low prices - https://videocentral.amazon.com/home/royalty-rates 1 to 12 cents per hour of viewing so if you upload a 1 hour movie to Amazon and 1 million people watch the entire thing, yo've made $60,000 or a paltry $10,000 at the low end. That's assuming you convince a million people to watch with enough production quality keep them around the full hour.

My point is, Piracy is bad but so long as corporations play the crap they're playing now, it's not going away. The $120 Comcast Bill is now the $100 streaming bill with Comcast Internet on top of it.

CBS for $9
Peacock for $9
AppleTV = $5
Netflix - $12
Hulu - $10
Disney - $5
HBO Max - $15
Apple Music or Spotify thrown in for good measure

then every month, the consumers will give Comcast $60-$100 for access to those streaming services and cord cutters still can't watch NFL games on Sunday.

So yeah, of course they're pirating. Instead of giving CBS $10 a month, they're just downloading Picard and instead of giving AppleTV $5, they're going to download See and For all Mankind and probably Netflix doesn't have a huge piracy issue except for countries where its blocked because most people have an account of access a friend's but if you remove Netflix and Amazon Prime from the piracy discussion, I bet the rest of the networks have a TON of their content stolen online because when a huge number of the country is unemployed and people's salaries are growing slower than inflation and phones are $1,0000, cord-cutting is more expensive than just having cable.

Piracy is really bad but the corporations need to stop being so greedy. I have little faith that this will change.

Arbuthnott

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008

Apple's Apple TV+ division has joined the Motion Picture Association of America's Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE), an anti-piracy group committed to "supporting the legal marketplace for video content and addressing the challenge of online piracy."

ACE's goal is to disrupt the piracy ecosystem that harms creators, with streaming piracy representing 80 percent of all piracy today, costing companies as much as $71 billion annually. [...]
What a ridiculous exaggeration to call this “piracy”. Piracy is something extremely serious, with loss of life, bloodshed, wholesale destruction and theft of property. The PR & marketing divisions have really outdone themselves. Also the claim of $71bn lost annually? I would love to see how that figure has been cobbled together. More likely that, deprived of free stolen content most of such consumers would simply not watch the material at all, rather than admit it’s a fair cop and go to a cinema or subscribe to a streaming service instead. In other words there is absolutely no loss here, but there is hypothetical additional profit that might somehow be available to capture.

Let’s have a sense of proportion here. Theft is not good, but the reality is that the media entertainment industry is rapacious, outrageously profitable, profoundly greedy, has appropriated the lion’s share of the benefits of going digital and online, and might well reduce the proportion of unpaid use of its product by offering more reasonable prices. Particularly to those in poverty, who likely make up a significant proportion of the unpaid use.

Bloody piracy indeed. Let’s see you come back to reasonable profit margins!

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
Piracy is bad and artists should be paid for their work and unfortunately, so long as corporations are in charge, the artists will always be paid through the corporation which takes their huge cut first. The record labels weren't exactly pioneers but that model is unchanged. I pay Netflix and they pay some money to the people responsible for creating the content. I read recently that Amazon's Direct Prime which allows creators to upload series and collect money on the backend based on views pays insanely low prices - https://videocentral.amazon.com/home/royalty-rates 1 to 12 cents per hour of viewing so if you upload a 1 hour movie to Amazon and 1 million people watch the entire thing, yo've made $60,000 or a paltry $10,000 at the low end. That's assuming you convince a million people to watch with enough production quality keep them around the full hour.

My point is, Piracy is bad but so long as corporations play the crap they're playing now, it's not going away. The $120 Comcast Bill is now the $100 streaming bill with Comcast Internet on top of it.

CBS for $9
Peacock for $9
AppleTV = $5
Netflix - $12
Hulu - $10
Disney - $5
HBO Max - $15
Apple Music or Spotify thrown in for good measure

then every month, the consumers will give Comcast $60-$100 for access to those streaming services and cord cutters still can't watch NFL games on Sunday.

So yeah, of course they're pirating. Instead of giving CBS $10 a month, they're just downloading Picard and instead of giving AppleTV $5, they're going to download See and For all Mankind and probably Netflix doesn't have a huge piracy issue except for countries where its blocked because most people have an account of access a friend's but if you remove Netflix and Amazon Prime from the piracy discussion, I bet the rest of the networks have a TON of their content stolen online because when a huge number of the country is unemployed and people's salaries are growing slower than inflation and phones are $1,0000, cord-cutting is more expensive than just having cable.

Piracy is really bad but the corporations need to stop being so greedy. I have little faith that this will change.

This is a tremendous post and perfect writeup of the situation, moral grey areas and all. Kudos man

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Netflix has enough good content that their service is worth the price. And their UI is decent. i can't imagine anyone pirating Netflix content unless they literally can't subscribe regardless and would just not watch it at all if it weren't pirateable.

But some of those other services? Like, I cannot imagine subscribing to CBS for how little of its content I would ever care about. One day I will do my free trial and binge watch its few shows I have interest in, and then that's it. If you have so little content that I can watch all of it during a free trial, you should not even be a standalone service. Sell your content to Netflix or charge something more reasonable, like $15-20 per year. This is the kind of stuff people pirate.. because the service simply is not worth real money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.