Apple TV+ Ranked 12th in Customer Satisfaction Index for Video Streaming Services

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV+ is considered to be "below average" for both value and original programming when it comes to customer satisfaction, according to new data shared today by the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI).

Apple debuted in the 2019-20 U.S. annual index in 12th position, with a customer satisfaction rating of 74 out of 100, tying both Google Play and HBO.

Topping the index was Disney+ with a first-time score of 80 out of 100, which puts the new streaming service ahead of former leader Netflix, with 78 out of 100. Like Apple TV+, Disney+ launched in November.
Six months after its November 2019 launch, Disney+ had 54.5 million subscribers worldwide. The service has broad appeal to families with content spanning Walt Disney Studios, Pixar, Marvel, National Geographic, and the Star Wars universe—including the breakout series "The Mandalorian." According to viewers, Disney+ is a standout across much of the customer experience and its original content rates best in class.
Elsewhere this year, Hulu (now controlled by Disney) closed in on Netflix, up 1 percent to 77 out of 100. Likewise, the Apple TV app is up 1 percent to 77 for customer satisfaction.

Netflix remains the largest streaming service by far, with about 183 million subscribers worldwide. Apple hasn't released subscriber numbers and has a large number of non-paying customers as the company has been providing everyone who has purchased an Apple device since September with a free year of ‌Apple TV‌+.

Apple is reportedly in the process of purchasing older movies and shows for its TV+ streaming service in a bid to build a back catalog of content, which will put it in a better position to rival the huge libraries available on Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. As the ASCI report notes, it will be interesting to see if this improves customer satisfaction in the future.

The telecoms report shows that with more and more Americans stuck at home, video streaming overall has seen a boon in customer satisfaction among telecom industries. With a stable ACSI score of 76, video streaming now outpaces subscription TV by a gap of 12 points.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Ranked 12th in Customer Satisfaction Index for Video Streaming Services

djcerla

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
“Value”... for most, it’s basically free.

In 2020 I have watched more stuff on TV+ than Netflix, just finished Defending Jacob. Best so far: Servant.

The thing that’s still missing is one mega-hit like The Mandalorian, but Apple has the resources and the will to make it happen, imo.

YoitsTmac

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
Even the Apple TV app, that isn't a streaming service, scored better than Apple TV+. Also surprised to see Disney+ at the top, but I'm also not a big Disney fan since my entire family worships it.
74 out of 100? I'd say that was a win given the current amount of content.
I mean sure, but are there any other streaming services? There's an "all others" category that scared higher. I wouldn't say beating the likes of AT&T Now or Sling as a massive feat for a company with such a large emphasis on tech. I'm not trying to say Apple TV+ sucks, but it really doesn't feel like a good value

• Disagree
Reactions: Ar40 and decypher44

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I can’t tell by the chart what a presentage does for a brand other than to say top to bottom is 12% difference. I’m sure by looking at things that is a huge difference. I do see Starz and ATT TV moved up from last year. I see Vudu and Sling have moved down.

I liked the Apple TV+ shows but we have not watched recently. I was messing with things and canceled my free subscription. I have not paid yet to renew it but no one in the house has asked yet either so I’m waiting to see what happens. Until then we have plenty of other options. HBO Max for one, just having Friends on there my kids are tuned in.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ar40 and decypher44

bjoswald

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I still haven't pulled the trigger and subscribed to Apple TV+, even though I have a free year trial. I'd rather wait until I get an Apple TV to pair with my HomePod for best quality!

miniroll32

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
I think that's a fair score.

It's less a reflection of the quality that Apple has provided (The software is, far and away some of the best on the market), and more for the fact that, for all smart television's strengths, it's still fundamentally flawed.

To get the most out of Apple TV, you need to be tied in quite tight to the Apple eco-system to enjoy all the base features. I can only speak about the situation here in the U.K, but Android penetration is strong because Apple products are seen as more luxury items and are generally more expensive, even given the inclusion of VAT. Apple TV and streaming simply aren't in the same language here; there are more people likely to use 'Netflix' as a reference for such.

Second, as with other similar products, Apple TV really doesn't 'solve' anything. It simply aggregates a selection of other services that you still need to pay for; and unless you're willing to spend a lot of money to subscribe to all these services, there's no sure-fire way to actually pick up the remote and access a film/TV show that you pick from the top of your head, as Apple's marketing would suggest.

Lastly, the branding is a messy. What is Apple TV? Is it hardware? A macOS/iOS app? An app on the Apple TV hardware? Why aren't the services on the Apple TV hardware the same as on iOS/Mac?

So unless you want the convenience of a more modern U.I, I don't always see such a great distinction between this setup and a cable subscription; or indeed simply purchasing the films/TV shows digitally from iTunes et al.

I think Disney have things spot on at the moment. They waited for the market to mature and played their cards right - the service already feels like it's been out for longer than it has. The content is highly unlikely to disappear after a certain time, and because it's studio driven, it's much easier to know where a particular movie/TV show will be.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Seems kind of low, I gotta believe Apple isn't happy about that, they've used to and prefer to be at the top of the heap. Given how many billions they poured into Apple TV +, and below most (all?) of their primary competition, means they have their work cut out

reggierob2

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Is the "Apple TV app" referring to the app that allows you to stream Apple TV+ ? If so, why break those apart?

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Wow, the Apple TV app is in third place. That's surprising to me. I would have ranked TV+ higher than the app, as the app is very confusing to me. Guess it's just me that's confused.

Also, Apple TV+ ranked higher than HBO. That's pretty incredible.

• Disagree
Reactions: gsmornot

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68020
Feb 24, 2009
I mean, 74 is not bad.
- - Post merged: - -

Is the "Apple TV app" referring to the app that allows you to stream Apple TV+ ? If so, why break those apart?
I assume by TV App, they mean content purchased on the iTunes store. They also have the Microsoft Store and Google Play. That's how I took it at least.
- - Post merged: - -

Wow, the Apple TV app is in third place. That's surprising to me. I would have ranked TV+ higher than the app, as the app is very confusing to me. Guess it's just me that's confused.

Also, Apple TV+ ranked higher than HBO. That's pretty incredible.
They're tied with HBO. Apple is higher because they come first in the alphabet. HBO gets dinged because it's expensive IMO.

Reactions: Ar40

MacAddict1978

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2006
Current state, I would never pay for it. Free it's alright, but none of the shows are exactly stand outs. At best, I would subscribe for a month or 2 a year, binge, and then cancel.

At the same time, Netflix dumps so much content in such a disorganized way, it's so easy to miss most of it. Then by the time you find a show that is great and watch it, they cancel it due to lower viewership... yet no one knew it was there.

At least with Apple TV+, it's not hard to miss content since there is almost none....

At some point, something has to give with streaming. There is no way all these services can survive. I have Netflix, Hulu/Disney+/ESPNS (the bundle is so cheap it's senseless not to have all 3), Amazon (which doesn't count since it comes with Prime, and I wouldn't pay for it otherwise), Apple TV+, HBO Max, YouTube TV as my "cable" provider, and then Visio's free streaming network is actually pretty decent and robust, and I feel like I might even be missing one... I resubscribe to CBS at the end of a new Star Trek season, binge, then cancel. Then there is Peacock (still laughing my butt off at the name) that at least has a free tier, which only gives you 20% of the available content but might be a worthwhile binge and cancel for some originals.

If Apple really wants to succeed in streaming, buy someone with a catalogue of content, reduce the competition, and have a better service. They have the cash. Usually more competition is good, but here there is waaaaaay too much.

gnomeisland

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
AppleTV+ not 12th if the number 5 entry is a number of smaller offerings that rate higher is it?
Yeah, interesting chart but borderline nonsensical when you start to really look at it. Between number 5 and the "Apple TV app" having its own entry I'm not really sure what they're measuring, how they are doing it, and why.

Reactions: segundo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.