Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094707-aus_macworld_apple_tv_tweet.jpg

According to a pair of tweets from Australian Macworld, a revised Apple TV should be introduced today with its current name rather than being rebranded as "iTV," and none of the products set for introduction today will see immediate availability.

The first tweet offers a model number of MC572LL/A for the U.S. version of the new Apple TV and claims that it will not ship immediately.
Our sources say new Apple TV (not iTV) is coming, but not shipping yet. Product code is Apple TV - USA MC572 LL/A.
The second tweet claims confirmation that a revised iPod touch will debut today but that none of the new products are expected to ship immediately.
The source also said that it doesn't look like anything will be shipping immediately, and 4th gen touches are definitely coming too.
No word on when Apple plans to begin shipping the new products is given, although the company has been known to pre-announce products by anywhere from a few days to several weeks or more.

Australian Macworld correctly predicted the date of the most recent MacBook Pro refresh in April. A month later, the site also shared information from the same source offering a model number for an expected MacBook Air refresh, although the site hedged a bit on firm identification of the product associated with the model number by suggesting that it could be an LCD display. While the source's model number information did turn out to be correct, it was in fact a revised MacBook that was released the following week.

Article Link: Apple TV Reported to Retain Name, Updated Products Not Shipping Immediately?

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Looking more and more like my no Apple TV today prediction was rubbish!

I reckon if we do see it that it may be a staggered around the world launch so they can sort the content out in each country first.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I never saw the point of changing the name. All the 'sources' for that iTV name struck me as people just trying guess at things to get attention.

I mean, you can probably say that about any Apple rumors, but that particular one struck me as much more baseless than most.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
Every news source trying to get the scoop on this event (and every apple event for that matter)

I'll just wait and watch.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I never saw the point of changing the name. All the 'sources' for that iTV name struck me as people just trying guess at things to get attention.

I mean, you can probably say that about any Apple rumors, but that particular one struck me as much more baseless than most.

Not to mention, Apple was using the codename iTV for the first edition prior to it's release. If they do release a product called iTV, it will just feel like a step backward to some.

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Store still up

Usually the store comes down before these events if the new products will be available immediately.

S'okay with me... my birthday isn't for another couple of months anyway.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
iPod Nano and Touch refreshes. And maybe iLife.
iPod Classic and Shuffle might quietly die though.

Next month it is time for "Something in the Air".

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Usually, the fun is in the wait (these last hours prior to the event). After the keynote, the rush of disappointments sets in. Kinda like the joy of $ex just before the climax. :D

swajames

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Remains to be seen what will happen but the suggestion that the iPods wont be shipping immediately makes little sense - to do so would seriously hamper sales of the current generation devices.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I've already been waiting since the last touch for this one. If they delay the date to stores by weeks I'm going to go insane.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
I'd be really surprised to see the name iTV stick, it's too much legal trouble.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
If it doesn't do 1080P, DTS HD, Dolby HD, LPCM, M2TS, or MKV it's a failure out of the gate.

Nonsense. If you want a product that does all that a) there are plenty of them out there already and b) they're not particularly popular.

Honestly, why do people think that Apple builds products for geeks? They're firmly focused on the mass market average consumer and for them the ONLY way Apple TV (or any similar service) makes sense is for it to be a valid alternative to a cable subscription with either very cheap programming or subscription services. Apple may try and end run that by giving it iOS and the ability to run apps effectively making a cheap games console but when you focus on the media side of the equation content from internet sources such as iTunes, Netflix and Hulu is the way to go. In those instances 1080p etc is utterly redundant at the moment as the vast majority of people don't have the bandwidth to support it properly and there's no content provider delivering 1080p over the net as far as I know. In a few years maybe but not now.

bonsaidetective

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Of course the new Appletv won't ship immediately, they have to give time for developers to make apps for it. Just like the iPhone, and iPad. At least, I hope that's the reason.

thenetstud

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
I am glad they are sticking with the AppleTV name, it sounds better then iTV in my opinion.

As much as I want one to be geeked out and play 1080p and mkvs I don't think that's what we will see today.

Hopefully I am wrong!

n9n3

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Massachusetts
I never expected the new iPods to ship or be available immediately because the back to school promo runs until Sept 7, and they won't make the new iPods part of that program. I bet they won't be available any sooner than that following Thursday or Friday.

As far as the Apple TV, they probably couldn't get the rights to the iTV name, if they even wanted it. And I didn't have any expectations of when it'd be available, I'm guessing by the end of the month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.