Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The launch of the fourth-generation Apple TV, with Siri integration and a full App Store, resulted in a huge Apple TV sales boost, according to new data shared by Parks Associates. In 2015, Apple TV unit sales were 50 percent higher than unit sales in 2014.

Despite the surge in sales, the Apple TV continues to rank as the fourth most popular streaming media player in the United States, coming in behind Roku, Amazon, and Google. The Apple TV accounted for 20 percent of streaming media players purchased from 1Q 2015 to 1Q 2016, compared to 30 percent for Roku and 22 percent each for Amazon and Google.

streamingmediaplayersales.jpg
While Apple TV remains in fourth place among the four major brands, it had the largest increase in unit sales year-over-year, primarily due to its long-awaited new version, launched in 4Q 2015. Its share of sales in 2015 was 50% higher than its share in 2014. Amazon also had a substantially higher share of unit sales in 2015.
Parks Associates believes Apple trails behind because both Amazon and Roku offer multiple form factors with both standard boxes and smaller sticks available. Amazon, Roku, and Google also offer more affordably priced streaming media players than Apple, with its latest box starting at $149. Apple does, however, continue to sell its third-generation Apple TV for $69, more competitively priced with competing set-top boxes.

In total, 36 percent of U.S. broadband households now have at least one streaming media player, up from 27 percent last year, and media players from Amazon, Roku, Apple, and Google make up 94 percent of those. Media player sales are expected to grow significantly over the next few years, with an estimated 86 million streaming media players set to be sold globally in 2019.

Since Apple just released its latest Apple TV set-top box in October of 2015, there's no word on when another update is planned. Apple has recently been working on building out the tvOS software included on the fourth-generation Apple TV, introducing much-needed new features like dictation, app folders, and Bluetooth keyboard support.

Article Link: Apple TV Sees Major Sales Growth in 2015 But Still Ranks as Fourth Most Popular Streaming Media Player

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I switched back to the ATV3 on my main TV because the apps that my family use mosts are shared on both devices, Netflix, Hulu, HBOgo, etc. And I think the ATV3 version of the Apps are better than the ATV4 versions.

I wished the Amazon prime video app would come out on the ATV4, I would switch them back.

Reactions: cardfan

jasonisme

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
I can tell you that people go and get the Amazon Fire Stick because they hear that it can be "hacked" to watch free movies and cable TV. I work at Best Buy and we sell through so many because of this that there is a limit on the amount of fire sticks we can sell per customer.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
4K, return optical audio out, and thrown in a current Ax processor please, headphones that can plug into the remote :)
but really I would buy one if we didn't already own a Roku before Apple updated the AppleTV.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I like my ATV 4 and like seeing Apple continue to invest in upgrading the features. Here are a few nice additions for the future if you are interested -

1. Adding a earphone jack to the remote (a la Roku) - well I guess with the lightning port maybe they already have it and just need to enable it.
2. Better controller support for gaming. I tried a couple in store and found them not great and the remote is terrible for all but a few basic games.
3. Better deals with providers so that their apps work without having to log into my non-existing cable account.
4. Amazon Prime (I know this is an Amazon problem not Apple, but still want it).
5. Homekit App to control things though the TV. Actually would love some integration that could set the lights and sounds based on what was playing.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013

The launch of the fourth-generation Apple TV, with Siri integration and a full App Store, resulted in a huge Apple TV sales boost, according to new data shared by Parks Associates. In 2015, Apple TV unit sales were 50 percent higher than unit sales in 2014.

Despite the surge in sales, the Apple TV continues to rank as the fourth most popular streaming media player in the United States, coming in behind Roku, Amazon, and Google. The Apple TV accounted for 20 percent of streaming media players purchased from 1Q 2015 to 1Q 2016, compared to 30 percent for Roku and 22 percent each for Amazon and Google.

streamingmediaplayersales.jpg
Parks Associates believes Apple trails behind because both Amazon and Roku offer multiple form factors with both standard boxes and smaller sticks available. Amazon, Roku, and Google also offer more affordably priced streaming media players than Apple, with its latest box starting at $149. Apple does, however, continue to sell its third-generation Apple TV for $69, more competitively priced with competing set-top boxes.

In total, 36 percent of U.S. broadband households now have at least one streaming media player, up from 27 percent last year, and media players from Amazon, Roku, Apple, and Google make up 94 percent of those. Media player sales are expected to grow significantly over the next few years, with an estimated 86 million streaming media players set to be sold globally in 2019.

Since Apple just released its latest Apple TV set-top box in October of 2015, there's no word on when another update is planned. Apple has recently been working on building out the tvOS software included on the fourth-generation Apple TV, introducing much-needed new features like dictation, app folders, and Bluetooth keyboard support.

Article Link: Apple TV Sees Major Sales Growth in 2015 But Still Ranks as Fourth Most Popular Streaming Media Player
I'm not surprised. I'm a pretty big fan of Apple products, and I've had my eye on the Apple TV for a while, but there just hasn't been a good reason to buy it. The ads make the Siri assistant seem pretty cool, but Siri is more trouble than she's worth on my iPhone, so I'm a little skeptical of her performance on the Apple TV. Apple TV is pretty expensive, doesn't support Amazon Prime, and makes it difficult to play local content. If they come out with a streaming TV service that's in the range of $20-$30 per month that requires the Apple TV then I'll probably buy one or two, but for now, I just don't see the point.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
4K, return optical audio out, and thrown in a current Ax processor please, headphones that can plug into the remote :)
but really I would buy one if we didn't already own a Roku before Apple updated the AppleTV.
looks like we have the same idea on the headphones.

For me I opted to replace a roku because of the integration with my Apple computer. I really like that I can pull up photos from my computer on the TV when friends come over. Since I refuse to stream music, I like that I can play MY music from my computer through the TV. And I can play my videos from my computer through my TV. I also like to mirror my computer or iPad to my TV for certain situations. All of these things are great since we are an all Apple household. Its hard to do all that if you have a Roku.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
It's not a question of Apple allowing them, but the respective companies making them. But yes, no Prime + more expensive makes me not surprised.

Vudu already CONFIRMED that Apple won't allow it

they are a streaming service, not a hardware company, why on earth would they not want it on Apple TV when it's on every other device that allows it?

it's just Apple pushing iTunes movies

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Vudu already CONFIRMED that Apple won't allow it

they are a streaming service, not a hardware company, why on earth would they not want it on Apple TV when it's on every other device that allows it?

it's just Apple pushing iTunes movies

Apple makes money from hardware, not iTunes (unlike Amazon). Do you have a link to Vudu's statement? Apple has previously said "all are welcome."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.