Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has signed a straight to series order for "Lady in the Lake," a limited series that is set to star Natalie Portman and Lupita Nyong'o.

lady-in-the-lake-apple-tv-plus.jpg

Directed by Alma Har'el, "Lady in the Lake" is an adaptation of Laura Lippman's best-selling novel of the same name. In addition to starring in the show, Portman and Nyong'o will both serve as executive producers, with Lippman also taking on an executive producer role.

The series will take place in 1960s Baltimore, where an unsolved murder pushes housewife and mother Maddie Schwartz (Portman) to reinvent her life as an investigative journalist, a move that sets her on a collision course with Cleo Sherwood (Nyong'o), a hard-working woman juggling motherhood, multiple jobs, and a commitment to advancing Baltimore's Black progressive agenda.

"Lady in the Lake" will be Natalie Portman's first television series, and it is the first television project for Alma Har'el, who previously directed "Honey Boy."

Article Link: Apple TV+ Series 'Lady in the Lake' to Star Natalie Portman and Lupita Nyong'o

• Love
Reactions: Ar40

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Made me think of Monty Python

King Arthur: I am your king.
Peasant Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Peasant Woman: Well, how'd you become king, then?
[Angelic music plays... ]
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.
Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis the Peasant: You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I can’t find one person talking about Apple TV or shows they love watching on Apple TV. If it were not for my time on MR, I wouldn’t be hearing about any of these shows at all.

Apple has no interest in the streaming game, they only did it to not lose market shares.

DocklandNightShift

Suspended
Mar 7, 2021
I can’t find one person talking about Apple TV or shows they love watching on Apple TV. If it were not for my time on MR, I wouldn’t be hearing about any of these shows at all.

Apple has no interest in the streaming game, they only did it to not lose market shares.

Man if that ain’t the truth

Apple makes terrific products. But this media venture has been a misstep to say the least

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

The "Ted Lasso" series just won the Critics Choice award for best comedy. Just sayin'

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Asking for real, does Apple TV just have something relaxing and funny to watch (and maybe normal, not some crazy weird type of funny). I feel like all the shows have some sort of agenda. Someone correct me if I'm wrong or give me some suggestion.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007

We're all in bubbles so only Apple knows the numbers. Everyone I know thinks Ted Lasso, For All Mankind and Morning Show are among the best streaming shows out there. I don't know anyone talking about Netflix or Prime shows these days. It's all anecdotal.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Asking for real, does Apple TV just have something relaxing and funny to watch (and maybe normal, not some crazy weird type of funny). I feel like all the shows have some sort of agenda. Someone correct me if I'm wrong or give me some suggestion.
Are you asking for real? You say you want something relaxing and funny? There is a comedy section... I see Ted Lasso, Trying, Central Park, Dickinson, Little America, and Mythic Quest. There’s also a “family fun” section featuring Snoopy and a bunch of other things.

Would you mind detailing for us what you think the agenda of each of these shows is?

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Made me think of Monty Python

King Arthur: I am your king.
Peasant Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Peasant Woman: Well, how'd you become king, then?
[Angelic music plays... ]
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.
Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis the Peasant: You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
This is the MPHG prequel we've all been waiting for.

Reactions: velocityg4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.