Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV+ today released the trailer for "Mr. Corman," a new comedy series created by, directed by, and starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The first two episodes of the 10-episode first season will debut on August 6, followed by one new episode weekly every Friday.

"Mr. Corman" follows the days and nights of Josh Corman (played by Gordon-Levitt), an artist at heart but not by trade. A career in music hasn't panned out, and he teaches fifth grade at a public school in the San Fernando Valley. His ex-fiancé Megan has moved out, and his high school buddy Victor has moved in. He knows he has a lot to be thankful for, but finds himself struggling with anxiety, loneliness, and self-confidence issues.

"Darkly funny, oddly beautiful and deeply heartfelt, this relatable dramedy speaks for our contemporary generation of 30-somethings: rich with good intentions, poor with student loans, and yearning to become real grown-ups sometime before they die," said Apple, in a press release accompanying the trailer.

"Mr. Corman" is distributed by A24, known for films such as "Midsommar" and "Lady Bird."

Article Link: Apple TV+ Shares Trailer for Comedy Series 'Mr. Corman' Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ipedro and Ar40

star-affinity

macrumors 65832
Nov 14, 2007
Relatable content!
Oh wait
Yeah, I feel like I can relate to a several of those things that came up in the trailer. Don't I represent everyone? :)

Bringing out that MIDI keyboard or guitar and trying to make something out of the over a hundred of musical sketches lying around. Thinking of the past and ”what if I had done that differently” and living in a universe that's so vast one can't comprehend even a speck of it. Etc.

Reactions: ErikGrim and Ar40
Comment

w5jck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I went ahead and cancelled my free TV- trial I had for the past 15 months. Yep it is TV- to me, no + about it at all. I got the free trial when I bought an ATV 4K, then got a 3-month extension to it after buying an iPad Air 2020. Over the past 15 months I never found a single series worth streaming. I watched 2 or 3 movies that were okay, but not great. The documentaries were of little to no interest to me, and I tend to love documentaries. TV- is simply not worth 5 cents to me, much less $5/month.

I love my ATV 4K streaming box, and I use it for at least 75% of what I stream/watch. But the TV- service is not worth my effort, much less the money it cost. First of all, Apple has nearly no programming! Seriously! Compare Apple's number of offerings to Amazon's Prime Video. Amazon has several times as many shows and movies. Compare TV- to Hulu, Netflix, or any other popular streaming service, and Apple has a very small fraction of shows and movies as the others. So first, and before they charge a dime for TV-, Apple needs to populate it with enough shows and movies to make it worth a dime. Next, they need to have good shows and movies, not just the handful of genres that mostly appeal to only the 15-35 year olds. Apple hasn't thought this through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

IllinoisCorn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2021
I went ahead and cancelled my free TV- trial I had for the past 15 months. Yep it is TV- to me, no + about it at all. I got the free trial when I bought an ATV 4K, then got a 3-month extension to it after buying an iPad Air 2020. Over the past 15 months I never found a single series worth streaming. I watched 2 or 3 movies that were okay, but not great. The documentaries were of little to no interest to me, and I tend to love documentaries. TV- is simply not worth 5 cents to me, much less $5/month.

I love my ATV 4K streaming box, and I use it for at least 75% of what I stream/watch. But the TV- service is not worth my effort, much less the money it cost. First of all, Apple has nearly no programming! Seriously! Compare Apple's number of offerings to Amazon's Prime Video. Amazon has several times as many shows and movies. Compare TV- to Hulu, Netflix, or any other popular streaming service, and Apple has a very small fraction of shows and movies as the others. So first, and before they charge a dime for TV-, Apple needs to populate it with enough shows and movies to make it worth a dime. Next, they need to have good shows and movies, not just the handful of genres that mostly appeal to only the 15-35 year olds. Apple hasn't thought this through.
TV- is mostly geared towards the 35 and under crowd, though produced mostly by older farts my age. Go figure!

Boy is this true. Popular music as well.

Comment

Martinpa

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I appreciate how anytime there is Apple TV+ news, people feel the need to explain in excruciating details why they don’t pay/plan to pay for it. We get it, it’s not Netflix, nothing speaks to you and there is no back catalogue.

Haven’t watched the trailer yet, but the very basis of the show reminds me of Pixar’s Soul setting. I’ll go watch and see what direction they are taking with it.

Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Another must watch for me. Between this, Central Park, Trying, Ted Lasso, and Schmigadoon, Apple is carving out a nice uplifting/optimistic comedy niche. That’s my fave genre of comedy, rather than the cutting humor in shows like Physical (which I hope won’t become a trend on Apple TV). I’m really happy with the content decisions Apple is taking! Exciting times!

Last edited:
Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I appreciate how anytime there is Apple TV+ news, people feel the need to explain in excruciating details why they don’t pay/plan to pay for it. We get it, it’s not Netflix, nothing speaks to you and there is no back catalogue.

Haven’t watched the trailer yet, but the very basis of the show reminds me of Pixar’s Soul setting. I’ll go watch and see what direction they are taking with it.
Thank you!! It needed to be said.

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Definitely going to have to disagree here. For $4.99/month they put out higher quality content than nearly everyone. HBO is who comes to mind, and they are triple the cost. I understand you want a catalog of programming, but that is what Netflix is for. At $4.99, they are absolutely delivering quality content.

Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

I feel the COVID had a lot to do with this and they are now just starting to catch up. ATV plus couldn't have happened at a worse time. It will get better and better IMHO as time goes by. Check back in a year or so.

Comment

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Should end when the free trials end. As of July 1st, the free trial is only 3 months. TV+ will probably hold that promo for new subscribers for a year. So by October 2022, the “it’s not worth $5, so I canceled” comments will start to taper off.

I trialed and cancelled a lot of services: Spotify, Parallels, Gamefly Amazon Prime and Netflix multiple times. And this is literally the only time I’ve mentioned it. Don’t get why people feel the need to explain why they don’t like a $5 service they got for free every single time a trailer hits the front page.

Comment

giv-as-a-ciggy-kent

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2020
Aus
Maybe it's because you haven't watched it yet?

can’t speak for him and obviously tastes differ but this type of lovable loser / navel gazing storyline is getting really tiresome. It’s been don’t to death and a little bit of a more heartfelt tone isn’t going to help.

these storylines are becoming more and more detached from reality and hence Are becoming increasingly unrelatable, at least for me. I get that ATV+ is trying to go in a different direction than most other content providers, it’s just that for me ( and I guess some others ) it misses the mark.

Comment

WildSky

Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
East of the sun, west of the moon
... these storylines are becoming more and more detached from reality and hence Are becoming increasingly unrelatable, at least for me. I get that ATV+ is trying to go in a different direction than most other content providers, it’s just that for me ( and I guess some others ) it misses the mark.
Actually, I prefer my entertainment to be detached from reality.

Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Should end when the free trials end. As of July 1st, the free trial is only 3 months. TV+ will probably hold that promo for new subscribers for a year. So by October 2022, the “it’s not worth $5, so I canceled” comments will start to taper off.

I trialed and cancelled a lot of services: Spotify, Parallels, Gamefly Amazon Prime and Netflix multiple times. And this is literally the only time I’ve mentioned it. Don’t get why people feel the need to explain why they don’t like a $5 service they got for free every single time a trailer hits the front page.
It’s because they have a bone to pick with Apple and have an irrational disgust/hatred for the type of content Apple puts out. I block/ignore the regular offenders (there are 5 people who I keep seeing post this on every TV+ post - it’s become an expectation to see them pointlessly bashing it).

Comment

grblade

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Looks interesting, but I wouldn't call it a "comedy." It looks like a man suffering depression trying to figure life out. Tragic and introspective, maybe mildly amusing, but hardly a comedy.

Reactions: AstonSmith
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.