Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared the official trailer for "The Me You Can't See," a mental health documentary series from Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry set to premiere May 21 on Apple TV+.

In the series, Apple says Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry host honest discussions about mental health and emotional well-being with singers, athletes, and other guests, while opening up about their own mental health journeys and struggles.
Featuring high-profile guests, alongside a wide range of people from across the globe living with the challenges of mental health issues and addressing their emotional well-being, the series transcends culture, age, gender and socioeconomic status to destigmatize a highly misunderstood subject and give hope to viewers who learn that they are not alone. The producers partnered with 14 accredited and respected experts and organizations from around the world to help shed light on different pathways to treatment.
Participants in the series include Lady Gaga, Glenn Close, San Antonio Spurs player DeMar DeRozan, Phoenix Suns player Langston Galloway, mental health advocate and speaker Zak Williams, Olympic boxer Virginia "Ginny" Fuchs, celebrity chef Rashad Armstead, and more, according to Apple.

"Now more than ever, there is an immediate need to replace the shame surrounding mental health with wisdom, compassion and honesty," said Oprah Winfrey. "Our series aims to spark that global conversation."

"We are born into different lives, brought up in different environments, and as a result are exposed to different experiences. But our shared experience is that we are all human," said Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex. "The majority of us carry some form of unresolved trauma, loss or grief, which feels – and is – very personal. Yet the last year has shown us that we are all in this together, and my hope is that this series will show there is power in vulnerability, connection in empathy, and strength in honesty."

Article Link: Apple TV+ Shares Trailer for Oprah and Prince Harry's Mental Health Docuseries

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's always fun to listen to how hard life is for people who could literally afford to buy an entire mental health practice, let alone afford to see a therapist.
"Can you imagine having some kind of mental health issue—"

"Vividly."

"–and being able to afford the best care on the planet from multiple sources, staff to serve you as you're getting help, and, I don't ****ing know, several statues of you sitting in therapy arranged on a chessboard that laborers push around all day?"

"Alright, you might have something…"

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Royalty and multi-millionaires complaining about their problems? Like, give me a break.
Harry might be Royalty but he did put his ass on the line when he was in the Military. His involvement with Veterans since leaving the Army is to be commended. Many of those who served with him suffered from PTSD (or worse). Both he and his brother have been far more open about mental health problems (especially male mental health issues) than many other so-called do-gooders.
If using his position results in one less Veteran suicide then good. I'd far rather listen to him than has-beens like the Kardashians.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I don't like either Oprah or Harry. I really don't like Harry actually. So, I am probably going to skip this... But, I fancy myself an open minded person and might end up watching it just to see if the show is actually good despite the creators/producer's involvement. If I see they are both far, far, far in the background of the show, I will be happy.

Paul_a

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2020
If using his position results in one less Veteran suicide then good. I'd far rather listen to him than has-beens like the Kardashians.
Agree. But I, for one, would prefer to hear from soldiers or front-line doctors or cops about how they struggle with depression than celebrities. Would make it more real for me. Just based on the title image, this show seems to continue the tone-deafness of the entertainment industry about who their audiences is or should be.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
It's always fun to listen to how hard life is for people who could literally afford to buy an entire mental health practice, let alone afford to see a therapist.

And yet they are still human just like everyone else. Comments like yours is part of the issue, especially in the US, that makes finding a path to normalizing talking about mental health nigh impossible.

“They are rich, so they should just shut up.”

How do we attack this issue if we start by shutting certain groups out of the conversation?

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
I have a hard time listening to millionaires whine about anything when I'm busy trying to keep my heat on and keep up with my house payments.

My life has been more than touched by MH issues. Including a brother who attempted suicide by gun and is drinking himself to death despite all our efforts to stop him, my nephew, who had a mental breakdown at 30, my uncle who hung himself. I could go on.

There are REAL stories of struggle and tragedy everywhere. We all have them in our lives.

Life is hard, we all know it. We don't need rich royalty (appointed or self anointed) to tell us that. To be honest, it's kind of insulting to hear people who have such resources at their fingertips even broach the idea of hardship.

I really thing Oprah has jumped the shark at this point. The royals? I never gave two poops about them, but having Irish roots probably has something to do with that.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
In the words of Bill Burr, Oprah literally stood on the heads of little people to get where she is today, so I have no time for her.
Harry’s alright though, even if I think he invites all the media attention he so desperately wants to escape from sometimes. Heard through an old co-worker that he was a top bloke when in the military.

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Imagine never having to do any daily task: cooking, cleaning, gardening, paperwork, driving (unless you want to), nanny-related things. Having a coach rather than one's self to find motivation for workouts, advisors for every life/biz decision etc. Drive-up personal jet vs. time in airport lines. There is *a lot* more time for personal introspection. Myself, I have to drive my kid to school in 7 minutes, then back downtown to get our weed whacker repaired due to this weekends assault on the nefarious in our garden. (Yet I do have enough time for an inane MR comment. Priorities !!!)

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Yet those people still suffer and even take their own lives - but hey, they've got more than us so we don't care?

Whilst money may open up more mental health resources, it doesn't make mental health issues go away. Posts like this just highlight one of the many problem attitudes to mental health - people 'can't have' mental health issues if other people don't think they've got any reason to have them. Your parents separated when you were young, your life was in the public eye from the day you were born, your mother was literally hounded to death by the media, you could never live a 'real' life, everything you did was constrained by expectation and public scrutiny and criticism. Yeah, I'm sure we would all take that in our stride.

jgreg728

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2016
Ok, so is THIS the project Oprah teased about at the March 2019 event??? Jeez she has so many different shows on TV+ it’s hard to keep track of what was promised from her appearance at that keynote.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
More Oprah related trash tv.

Wealthy folks who can afford the very best healthcare in the world lecturing the plebs in the importance of ‘taking some time out for yourself’, as if we wouldn’t if we could afford to.

Peak media luvvie / silicon valley wealth grifting.

I wish the Apple TV app allowed you to select ‘show me less of things like this’ on tv shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.