Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV+ show "The Problem With Jon Stewart" has been canceled because of "creative differences" between Stewart and Apple executives, reports The New York Times.

problem-jon-stewart.jpg

Members of the show's staff were informed about its end on Thursday, according to several people with knowledge of the situation, just a couple of weeks before episodes for the third season were scheduled to begin.

The editorial disagreements reportedly revolved around some of the planned guests on "The Problem," as well as potential show topics related to China and artificial intelligence that were causing concern among Apple executives. Apple did not respond to NYT's request for comment.

Apple in 2020 secured a multi-year deal with the writer, producer, and former host of "The Daily Show", which saw Stewart return to television following his 2015 retirement.

The name of the show, "The Problem with Jon Stewart," is a nod to the issues that Stewart explored on the current affairs new series, with topics in the 20 episodes ranging from what's in the national conversation to issues that are part of Stewart's advocacy work.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Show 'The Problem With Jon Stewart' Reportedly Canceled

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
Even as someone who consumes a lot of American media, I found it hard to follow the show during the first episode. I couldn’t be bothered to watch again. Maybe someday I will. And, I’m probably sure other people who live elsewhere other than in the USA feel the same. Nonetheless, sorry for those who feel they’re losing a great show/voice.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
The editorial disagreements reportedly revolved around some of the planned guests on "The Problem," as well as potential show topics related to China and artificial intelligence that were causing concern among Apple executives. Apple did not respond to NYT's request for comment.
If true you have to wonder what topics Jon Stewart was going to cover.

Maybe someone else (YouTube? Netflix?) could pick up the show if it gets cancelled.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
The editorial disagreements reportedly revolved around some of the planned guests on "The Problem," as well as potential show topics related to China and artificial intelligence that were causing concern among Apple executives

The topic related to China was the one that got cancelled from what I heard industry wise. Topic of AI didn’t make Tim Cook and executives happy but they were willing to let it go.

Unfortunately Chinese government found out about show (despite Apple TV+ not available in China), and threatened Apple that they would face total ban on all Apple products unless show was cancelled. At that point, company had no choice.

(And Communist Party of China is dead serious about foreign show making fun of China. See South Park. It was wiped off the map in China (after one episode that made fun of Chinese government) to the point that show never existed at all.)

They are not writing the show off so they are allowed to shop the show elsewhere. (Apple rarely writes the show off) Would not be surprised if Paramount picks the show up, it would blend perfectly with Paramount+, considering Comedy Central (which is owned by Paramount) was Stewart’s home for years.

Last edited:

abowlby

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Eastern US
The world is such a funny place right now, every few weeks a power or corrupt entity emerges in the form of silencing anyone who dares to point out their power or corruption and yet still such a large percentage of the population reacts as if that isn’t indicative of some underlying truth behind the curtain.

These companies and talking heads that the media trots out recoil in terror at the awful oppressions in various communities, so long as those agencies and talking heads aren’t profiting from the exploitation. It’s ***** gross.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
it has felt weird from the beginning for Apple, a tech company, to take the role of an entertainment/ culture actor.
It’s a consequence of the unfortunate fact that the technical delivery of TV streaming content is nowadays bound to providing original content. You can’t successfully build a new streaming platform without providing some dedicated content on it. In theory I think Apple would be happy to just build a delivery platform, like with Apple Music, but that doesn’t really work for TV.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Not surprised at all. Jon has been always accused of talking sense. But in today’s highly polarised world there are very few buyers for such centrist sensibilities.
I'm guessing that either some oversensitive stockholders/investors had personal issues or even worse... Washington called. Apple should have been the "misfit" as they were long time ago and keep this show.

In theory I think Apple would be happy to just build a delivery platform, like with Apple Music, but that doesn’t really work for TV.
It could work, but currently the industry as it is isn't ready yet. It's a jungle of creators, datacenters, data network providers and mediabox manufacturers that all have their demands (complex contracts). You don't want to know the money that companies like LG demand just to put your video app on their TV's. It is insane.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.