Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeboy116

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
I have a HomePod and I have a new 4k Apple TV hooked up to my TV and home audio system.

Both are in my Home app and both work well with Airplay 2 through either the computer or my iPhone.

What I'd like to do and for some reason am having a hard time getting anyone to understand my question is...

I want to be able to say to the HomePod "Hey Siri, play some music" and not only have it play out of the HomePod but also out of my system that's connected to the Apple TV. In other words, have the Apple TV work as a sort of slave to the HomePod.

Without having to use my iPhone or computer in Airplay 2, I want the music that is playing on the HomePod to also be playing on the Apple TV.

Thanks!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
As best as I can tell "Hey Siri" devices are either totally independent, or communicate in a way that I don't understand. I often have the problem of telling Siri to play some music on one device, say a Home Pod, but it instead starts playing on another, my iPhone. In a discussion with Apple Support about another issue the representative acknowledged the problem.

As you probably know you can initiate play via iTunes on a Mac to both devices:

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 19.59.14.png

Joeboy116

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
As best as I can tell "Hey Siri" devices are either totally independent, or communicate in a way that I don't understand. I often have the problem of telling Siri to play some music on one device, say a Home Pod, but it instead starts playing on another, my iPhone. In a discussion with Apple Support about another issue the representative acknowledged the problem.

As you probably know you can initiate play via iTunes on a Mac to both devices:

View attachment 776387
[doublepost=1534512632][/doublepost]I did find an answer to this that solves most of the issue.

When playing music through the Apple TV, push and hold the play/pause button on the Siri remote. A window comes up that allows you to join any other Airplay 2 devices that are connected in the Home app.

Once this is done, vocal Siri commands work to change things just as they do on the HomePod.

What I still wish could happen is to be able to tell Siri on the HomePod to join or unjoin the Apple TV and I wish the connection would automatically disconnect when I switch to watching a movie or something else on the Apple TV.

Joeboy116

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
WOW. I have no idea why it wasn't this simple an answer from anyone else I've spoken with. Including people at the Apple Store and Apple Tech Help.

Basically my wording was wrong so it wouldn't work.

Thanks. And thanks for including the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.