Apple TV Software Update Adds Streaming of Purchased TV Shows, Vimeo Support, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 1, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A number of MacRumors readers are reporting that Apple has just pushed out a new iOS software update for the second-generation Apple TV bringing support for several new features including streaming access to purchased TV shows and support for video service Vimeo. Daring Fireball's John Gruber explains the TV show feature:
    According to one report, however, the feature may be U.S.-only for the time being.

In addition to the purchased TV show support, the update also brings support for Vimeo video content and reportedly adds YouTube playlist support.

Article Link: Apple TV Software Update Adds Streaming of Purchased TV Shows, Vimeo Support, and More

2. SanibelMan macrumors member

3. ikir, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

ikir macrumors 65816

I love AppleTV2 and i'm very happy Apple continues to update its software with new features.

4. MiWall81 macrumors member

Apple TV

I seriously wish they would allow iPad/Apple TV owners the ability to watch everything from their iPad onto the TV already... This update is taking forever... Also, the ability to watch on the iPad and the Apple TV at the same time...

5. vtstarck macrumors regular

Looks like my prior purchases of The Walking Dead aren't included. :confused:

6. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

Old 24 TV: Rent for .99, buy for $2.99. Yawn.

7. zin macrumors 6502

Doesn't look like international customers are ever going to get TV show rentals.

8. Spoony macrumors regular

So this is like iCloud for TV and Movies?

I'm sick of storing all my purchased content on my computer. It's hogging up all my space (I know i should just get an external harddrive). If this is the true this is awesome. Allowing the apple ecosystem to manage my content. I'm digging this.

9. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Coming in iOS 5...

10. PeterM11 macrumors member

Nice although my internet at home is too slow and it only wants to steam HD content.

Still hoping for Hulu+ support

I wonder if this means we'll be able to re-download purchased TV shows sooner or later. Then maybe Movies will come too. If they add Hulu+ (and maybe even buy it) then that plus Netflix and iTunes content streaming makes it a pretty cool little box. I already love it but this just makes it better. The only other thing I could think of would be screen mirroring of Macs along with the upcoming iPad mirroring. Doubt that'll happen though.

11. mwxiao macrumors regular

If i'm not mistaken, iOS 5 should be able to do that.

12. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

ability to stream prior purchased tv shows is huge. i approve.

13. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I think this is a great update! I can finally (hopefully) keep my computer off to view most of my content. I'd only need to turn it on to view the stuff I've encoded. If they did something like iTunes Match for video that would just be super! Especially if it got free updates to HD...

14. NEMMRRC macrumors newbie

I believe that some TV shows already do that. STNG does.

15. Spoony macrumors regular

Edit. I guess it's only iCloud for TV Shows at this point. Hopefully movies to come.

16. SwedishFrog macrumors newbie

Broken

After updating and entering my account info, it shows fewer than half of the TV shows I purchased using this account. I can right-click on the files on my computer and see that they were purchased using this account, but they don't show up under TV Shows > Purchased on the Apple TV.

Boo, Apple. Boo.

17. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Hopefully this also fixes the bug where the ATV suddenly can't find any content your library which requires either restarting iTunes or disabling, then re-enabling Home Sharing from the ATV to see any content.

18. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I all want is to be able to sort my movies by date added. It seems so simple, I have over 800 movies and I want to see the recent additions. :eek:

19. Hairball macrumors regular

Hairball

NHL / NFL support would be a great addition. While they are at it, add a NASCAR channel as well.

:apple:TV needs to add more support for video sites. A Showtime or HBO channel would be a major game changer and huge surprise. It'll probably never happen though:(

The cable cord needs to be cut!

20. eliehass macrumors regular

If you go to settings and then iTunes store, you can change the resolution to SD and then you will pull the SD video from iCloud

21. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

22. Thataboy macrumors regular

Make a smart playlist in iTunes for recently added movies. Enable Home Sharing. Enable video playlists on Apple TV. Done :)

23. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

+1. Once it's available, it's a big blow to cable tv companies :)

24. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Apple TV could use more frequent updates with new features more often.