Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Reading through the comments so far and including my own thoughts, I would like to summarize as follows --

1. Would apple create its own controller or still allow the 3rd party controllers to exist (which from what I hear are poor quality builds)? If the approach is bluetooth and not a proprietary approach like airplay, I would think that the 3rd party controllers would continue.

2. How would one actually play a game unless apps could now be loaded to ATV either from the current app store or one dedicated to ATV? My guess is that this would require a new build for iOS to support.

3. Can the current ATV using the A5 chip support games well enough or would new hardware be required? My guess here is that we had games that worked on the A5, so it would be possible to make this work on current hardware, but clearly new hardware would be required for the latest games and best experience.

Given that I have two ATVs in my house now, I certainly hope that they do this first through an iOS update which also include an app store (current or new) so I can download my games. Then I hope they come out with new hardware that would be tuned for more serious game performance. This would eat at the consoles like Xbox and would fit well into the Apple family. At least that is my humble opinion.

----------

Can we then get away from that horrible remote?

Another example of form over function.

My iPhone works as a wonderful remote. If you are using the little silver stick I recommend switching to the iPhone. everything will be better then. :D

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This isn't going to happen in March. Not before Apple puts out a SDK for developers.

So either this happens in June at WWDC2014 or Apple puts out a SDK real fast.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Er it does support the higher prices. I don't see what you are getting at. AAA games don't exist on iOS devices as it's not powerful enough (yet) I can easily see $30+ games on there... but would need a bigger then 8gb drive.

And you know they make 30% of EVERYTHING on the App Store right?! Every single 99c or in app purchase or subscription ( might be less on that ) etc.

No they don't. Spec-wise iOS devices are more powerful than a Vita and way more powerful than a 3DS. Yet you got $40 Vita & 3DS games while people complain about $10 iOS games. The appstore cannot support high prices. Furthermore it's intentionally designed that way because cheap disposable software fuels hardware sales, which is where Apple makes its money

And a 30% distribution cut of $1 is what your local Dollar Store makes for selling you tools that break after a day

Nonsense: Real Racing 3 and there are several other examples of that.

Real Racing = the budget version of Forza, Gran Turismo, Driveclub (take your pick)

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Yep

new apple tv
AC Wifi
More ram, 64 bit processor
Apples own Bluetooth controller - but can with work DS4
New complete media universal remote
iphones/itouch/ipad can be Wii U esque second screen gaming
Nintendo announces all titles available on new ATV app store.

I seriously doubt Nintendo would port ALL of their existing titles to the ATV, but I could see them doing a couple of big titles at launch. Chances are they'd port older games and then create a few new games that were exclusive to the ATV. There's no incentive for them to port current Wii U games when they're still trying to sell Wii U's.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
This is what I have been waiting for

This is the product I have been waiting for since 2007, when the first-generation ATV was introduced. I hope the rumors are true!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This is great for casual gamers--at least considering the current ATV hardware. However, its not adequate for the established console gaming community. The PS4 and Xbox One is where the most beautiful, well produced and realistic games are for the near future.

Different markets though I guess.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
This isn't going to happen in March. Not before Apple puts out a SDK for developers.

So either this happens in June at WWDC2014 or Apple puts out a SDK real fast.

Why not announce product(s) and app store in March keynote with launch of SDK, and official launch by WWDC? Didn't Apple do this with the iPhone 3G? Announce SDK in a keynote prior to WWDC launch?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Why not announce product(s) and app store in March keynote with launch of SDK, and official launch by WWDC? Didn't Apple do this with the iPhone 3G? Announce SDK in a keynote prior to WWDC launch?

Oh. Apple could have an event in March announcing it and maybe show off new 4K Apple displays then ship them later. I don't doubt that.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
You get what you pay for.

At freemium to $5 app pricepoints, you're never gonna see the Last of Us or GTA 5 on an Apple TV no matter how premium the hardware is. Not until 10 years later as a retro port.

Whoever said that these are the standards to live up to in order to compete in the market place? iOS games today are doing just fine making Nintendo lose money and missed forecasts.

And if you look at Square Enix games on the App store, these titles can be priced up to $19.99.

If Apple really wanted to disrupt the console model, they'd redesign the app store to support the higher prices need to develop AAA games. But they don't because as a hw company, sw profit margins don't matter to them, much less third party sw profit margins.

Which is why anyone who goes and buys these $40-60 BT controllers are gonna be stuck using them on disposable $1 games.

Again, they disrupted the handheld market just fine with their current business model. Who's not to say Apple couldn't do it again in the console space?

Oh and I'd like to point out that iOS has it's own fair share of AAA titles too.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This is exactly what I *don't* want. Using a touchscreen as a controller blows. I want an actual BT game controller, like I'd get with an Xbox or Playstation.

Yes... He said 'default'.

And BT third party controllers would be optional addon improvements. How about choice.

----------

This is great for casual gamers--at least considering the current ATV hardware. However, its not adequate for the established console gaming community. The PS4 and Xbox One is where the most beautiful, well produced and realistic games are for the near future.

Different markets though I guess.

Wii vs. XBox360

Wii was very successful for the casual market. And proved there is a huge market here if done right. Most accounts I've read, say Wii U didn't nail it quite right. In comes Apple :)

This could destroy Nintendo.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Aside the fact that there is an Apple logo on it, why exactly are people clamoring for this? What everyone is describing is more or less the Ninetendo Wii; casual games with motion control and maybe a few apps to go along with it. What market would Apple be trying to break into here? Certainly not the hardcore market, and if the recent slide of the Wii U is any indication, the casual market has shifted to handhelds. So why would Apple want to enter a market with hardware designed for something that has already shifted to where Apple has a presence with the iPhone and iPad?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Passwords are cumbersome on the AppleTV.

Next gen AppleTV Remote with TouchID!

----------

Aside the fact that there is an Apple logo on it, why exactly are people clamoring for this? What everyone is describing is more or less the Ninetendo Wii; casual games with motion control and maybe a few apps to go along with it. What market would Apple be trying to break into here? Certainly not the hardcore market, and if the recent slide of the Wii U is any indication, the casual market has shifted to handhelds. So why would Apple want to enter a market with hardware designed for something that has already shifted to where Apple has a presence with the iPhone and iPad?
It's not the Apple logo. It's the collection of game devs already developing for iOS devices!

Wii vs Xbox360 prooved there is a market for casuals.

Just because Wii U missed it, doesn't mean such a market doesn't exist.

Achievements and save games syncing with the rest of Gamecenter. Lots of seasoned game developers from iOS readily available. Many games may need very little code tweak to port over.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008

But why not?

It's not like they would invest creating a new gaming platform, the Apple TV already exist and already sells well for other purposes. Adding controller support will be trivial and there are already a lot of iOS developers ready to make games for it.

It doesn't have to be hugely successful as a gaming console, it's just a bonus to the existing Apple TV offering.

I just hope someone tells Apple that Nintendo's patent on the cross-shaped D-pad expired in 2005 so they would stop imposing that stupid round D-pad to MFI game controllers makers (those round D-pads were originally invented by competitors to get around Nintendo's patent).

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Passwords are cumbersome on the AppleTV.

Next gen AppleTV Remote with TouchID!

----------

It's not the Apple logo. It's the collection of game devs already developing for iOS devices!

Wii vs Xbox360 prooved there is a market for casuals.

Just because Wii U missed it, doesn't mean such a market doesn't exist.

Achievements and save games syncing with the rest of Gamecenter. Lots of seasoned game developers from iOS readily available. Many games may need very little code tweak to port over.

I think Apple would just be cannibalizing itself here. I don't see people leaving a Vita/3DS/Wii for this but rather just putting down their iPhone and using the ATV instead. But just my opinion.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Aside the fact that there is an Apple logo on it, why exactly are people clamoring for this?

- It would use the App Store infrastructure already in place.
- Should be pretty straight forward for devs to port games because of familiarity with Xcode/ios
- games can support iCloud saves across all devices
- 'Universal' games could mean buy once play on any iOS device.

Ulfhednar

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2005
the production quality on console games is better
my older kid has played lego superheroes more on the xbox the last two weeks than anything on the ipad lately

At $99 is just has to be "good enough." A quad-core A7x would be fine. And beauty of it is that, unlike the major console makers, Apple could put a vastly more powerful chip in the thing EVERY year.

And Apple will just keep adding things: a browser one year, iPhoto the next, 4K support, etc.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
If Apple is serious about the Apple TV being a gaming machine, they'll be making their own controllers, won't they?

I hope so!

A spec bump Apple TV this March to accompany this rumor would be awesome too (along with an Apple bluetooth controller).

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
FINALLY! Jeez been waiting a while for this. Now we need better processors and console quality!

they are console quality -- just not current-generation console quality. that you will not see, as these are generalist hardware devices, not dedicated gaming consoles.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Does this mean there will be a new iteration of Apple TV released with this feature active... so that if you want the feature you'll have to purchase the new model...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.