Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple TV Updated with CNBC and FOX NOW Channels

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added two more channels to the Apple TV, delivering financial news channel CNBC and network FOX NOW to the platform.

CNBC offers access to a live stream of the financial channel, as well as on-demand clips from news segments and full episodes of the channels "Prime" content original series. Viewing requires authentication with one of a number of cable and Internet providers. Notable cable companies not available for authentication include Time Warner and Charter.

FOX NOW includes on-demand access to a number of shows from the network, including 24: Live Another Day, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, Glee, and more. Authentication through a cable provider is required for full access to content.

Update 7:40 AM: Apple has also added TV2 Sumo [Google Translate], the online version of popular channel TV2, in Norway.

Update 8:48 AM: As noted by The Loop, Brazilian sports subscription channel Esporte Interativo has also been added in that country.

Article Link: Apple TV Updated with CNBC and FOX NOW Channels

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Really wish there wasn't IP blocking on the Apple TV. Would love to be able to access all these channels here in Japan.

Comment

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
The deal breaker is the last line of the article. Hopefully they'll break free from cable soon and offer the channels a la carte! As soon as they do, so long cable subscription!!

Comment

cyberlocke

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
Kick Cable to the Curb!

Until they break from the cable stranglehold, this is moot. Oh well, keeps me from watching mindless crap anyway. Much better ways to spend my time.

Comment

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I only with the BBC would put iplayer on it, then it's game over for the PC attached to the TV in our household.

Comment

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
More useless updates for those of us with DirecTV :/

Remember when DirecTV was the LEADER in this stuff? The past 2 years or so, I can't remember them adding ANYTHING.

I am seriously thinking of dropping them when my "free" move commitment is up... About 10 months to go, so have time to start testing the netflix/hulu/prime method, plus looking how to authenticate some of these channels.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
The deal breaker is the last line of the article. Hopefully they'll break free from cable soon and offer the channels a la carte! As soon as they do, so long cable subscription!!

Not surprising. If Apple was able to get content providers and big media companies to go a la carte that would be a huge announcement not a silent update to ATV.

Comment

Starshadow

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Yeah great news...

Apart from the fact I live in Europe and my Apple TV only has one channel that works, Netflix.

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Until they break from the cable stranglehold, this is moot. Oh well, keeps me from watching mindless crap anyway. Much better ways to spend my time.

Exactly why most of the apps on the apple tv are useles....they require a cable subscription. Why go through my apple tv when I can just use the VOD feature built into my cable box? The only app I think is better than VOD is HBO GO, but it is also subject to a cable subscription.

These apps (abc, fox, etc) are not going to be offered a la carte anytime soon.

I guess the only benefit is that you can share your cable log in with many people. I probably have about 20 people using my cable log in information.

Comment

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Authentication through a cable provider is required for full access to content.
More useless channels for those of us who use an AppleTV because we ditched cable/satellite.

Imagine you buy a small electric car for your daily trips but you still need to fuel your big truck otherwise your small electric car won't start. That's what's happening with all these new AppleTV channels.

It's insane, that's the only way to describe it.

Comment

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Small steps..

One day, content providers will be confident enough to stream directly to consumers. That day can't come soon enough.. Let's just hope cable companies don't throw a fit and throttle everything and everyone, with the classic "our network can't handle it" excuse..

Comment

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
I only with the BBC would put iplayer on it, then it's game over for the PC attached to the TV in our household.

Get an iPhone or an iPad.

Either of these devices can happily send iPlayer content to your Apple TV.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Exactly why most of the apps on the apple tv are useles....they require a cable subscription. Why go through my apple tv when I can just use the VOD feature built into my cable box? The only app I think is better than VOD is HBO GO, but it is also subject to a cable subscription.

These apps (abc, fox, etc) are not going to be offered a la carte anytime soon.

I guess the only benefit is that you can share your cable log in with many people. I probably have about 20 people using my cable log in information.

what if you are married and have a house with more than one TV? rent one cable box and the others buy apple tv or roku and stream the shows instead of paying rent on multiple cable boxes

Comment

fixbroken

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
When will Apple create a cable registration that activates every app on the device? I'm tired of activating individual apps.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Remember when DirecTV was the LEADER in this stuff? The past 2 years or so, I can't remember them adding ANYTHING.

I am seriously thinking of dropping them when my "free" move commitment is up... About 10 months to go, so have time to start testing the netflix/hulu/prime method, plus looking how to authenticate some of these channels.

comcast supports most of these channels

Comment

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
I find my apple TV rather useless.
I use it simply to show films on my mac, to the TV, but i could do that without the Apple TV anyhow.

Mind you, it was a gift as it was Apple TV 3........perhaps a jailbroken 2 Would have been much better :p

Comment

downpour

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I only wish the BBC would put iplayer on it, then it's game over for the PC attached to the TV in our household.

That would be easy enough for Apple, most blu-ray players/smart TV's have it. The BBC news 24 stream would be good too.

What are these Apple TV boxes actually like in the UK? I've been holding off getting one for what seems like forever.

Apple must be releasing a new model soon surely.

Comment

k1121j

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Small steps..

One day, content providers will be confident enough to stream directly to consumers. That day can't come soon enough.. Let's just hope cable companies don't throw a fit and throttle everything and everyone, with the classic "our network can't handle it" excuse..

oh they will and have already started adjusting agreements to fit that model

Comment

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks Apple, the ATV is now a complete mess because of all these mandatory "Channels"

Give it an App Store now, please.

Comment

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Small steps..

They already are.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.