Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andreas Gøbel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Hi all,

I'm considering adding a TV in my kitchen, however to avoid dragging a cable all the way across the kitchen, I was considering this solution:

27" LG computer monitor with build-in speakers
Apple TV 4K
I have a Sonos One i the kitchen already, and I'm also considering using that to play the sound via Airplay2, if the speakers in the monitor falls short.

Here in Denmark, I use a cable provider who has made an app for Apple TV, which gives the possibility to stream my channels and not use a physical cable for signal.

My question is: Have anyone else tried this solution? From what I have found on the Internet, there might be issues with controlling the volume on the monitor with the Apple TV remote?

I hope you guys can help.

/Andreas

ozziejeff

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I'm considering adding a TV in my kitchen, however to avoid dragging a cable all the way across the kitchen, I was considering this solution:

27" LG computer monitor with build-in speakers
Apple TV 4K
I have a Sonos One i the kitchen already, and I'm also considering using that to play the sound via Airplay2, if the speakers in the monitor falls short.

Here in Denmark, I use a cable provider who has made an app for Apple TV, which gives the possibility to stream my channels and not use a physical cable for signal.

My question is: Have anyone else tried this solution? From what I have found on the Internet, there might be issues with controlling the volume on the monitor with the Apple TV remote?

I hope you guys can help.

/Andreas
[doublepost=1541856166][/doublepost]Does your computer monitor support HDMI CEC? If it does then you are all set.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Probably a dumb question, but why not just buy a smaller television and attach it to the Apple TV? Is there a reason you have to try and use a computer monitor?

Edit: I checked Best Buy (a us electronics retailer) and they had 2 1080p tv’s for sale under 24”. If you go up to 32” (if you have the space) the 1080p tv options open up to more.

(I am assuming 1080p tv’s, as that is the resolution of the monitor you linked, lots of 720p small tv’s were listed if that is acceptable.)

I have a small tv in the garage that I hooked up with an Apple TV, it works five over wireless. I don't have it hooked up to cable or antenna, just hdmi to the Apple TV 4 to use apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macalicious2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.