Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Search trashed!

Bad Apple!

You have taken away the ability to search for specific things like "Pavilion Cinema, Galashiels"... or "Fat Face, York" when I am in the car or on foot, I want to enter a place name in the map search, not have to look it up in safari first....

Give us back Google Maps until you get your database up to scratch!

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
Non-issue... Navigate to YouTube in safari and add the icon to the home screen. You now have a perfectly functioning YouTube webapp, full screen and all.

I did this exact thing the first day I bought my iPad because the old stock YouTube app was inferior to the website.

Is the web app HD-ish? Or do you know if it equals 720p?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Lot's of ungrateful complainers in here so I figured I would try to be devils advocate for the other side of things:

- The maps app was NEVER updated because it was Google, now it will be all the time because it's Apples

- It's the first version, calm the %#&! down. We've got to start somewhere. That's like ripping Apple for the first iPhone without having the vision to see how great it could become in a few years. Same with Apple maps.

- I LOVE the ability to now say "Siri, find me the closest Trader Joe's market" and I can view all of the nearest locations the map at the same time to figure out which one is the best one to go to! I could never do that before with Google Maps.

- We go from NO turn-by-turn navigation ---> FREE turn-by-turn navigation w/ traffic information. Jesus christ talk about ungrateful :rolleyes:

Personally I love the new Apple Maps application, and I have the vision to see it will get better. Those who want to complain can always simply bookmark m.google.com/maps and use the html5 version.

All your PRO's are null and void when Apple Maps can't even get you to the CORRECT destination. I have used it 4 times. Each time the destination wasn't even close to where the actual location was. I'm not a hater or sympathizer.

Google maps is much more detailed and accurate. Apple already knew this and should have released something comparable - NOT something "beta" like. You don't downgrade a users experience and charge the same price for it. You don't make the user a guinea pig for a product. You either meet or exceed current standards. Otherwise you will have a problem - like now.

I use maps on a regular basis. As of right now, I am better off winging it or using it to get a general idea of where I need to be. They are rather unreliable and missing many features the previous maps application had.

Anyways, I have no problem envisioning how great the application can be. However, I don't want to wait years for that to happen. Especially when Google Maps is already there and I had an app that was already doing that! It's really crappy to be honest and Apple should have known better. I would prefer to have Google Maps WITHOUT turn by turn instead of the hunk of crap they included.

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
You're "PAYING MONEY" and it's a known fact that the google map app won't be on iPhone 5 until or if the App Store releases a google map app. It runs stock iOS 6, so if it doesn't meet your needs DON'T BUY IT!!

we're not buying it, were more or less encouraged to update ti iOS 6 for free!

WMLizzie07

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
apple maps really are a fail

It's a significant downgrade in NYC as well. No street view + no subway info = fail.

It also as far as I can tell can't find numbered street addresses. I live on a numbered rather than a named street and when I tried to find my address it said no such place found... what the hell?:mad:@:apple:

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Lot's of ungrateful complainers in here so I figured I would try to be devils advocate for the other side of things:
Personally I love the new Apple Maps application, and I have the vision to see it will get better.

"Ungratefu"l? You have the "vision"? Apple isn't a charity, they are a business that is supported by users who choose to give them money in exchange for products and services. And in this case, an existing product was replaced by one that doesn't provide the same services so it is perfectly understandable for someone to be upset.

So your sermoning that the userbase is "ungrateful" is ridiculous. You aren't more enlightened than the rest of us, you're just more obedient when someone tells you to drink the kool-aid.

(BTW. Im not against the new Maps app and I think Siri assisted GPS is fantastic. But considering that it was well known before iOS6 was officially released that Apple Maps is less functional than Google Maps then I feel they shouldve allowed both apps to exist with a choice for a default.)

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
- It's the first version, calm the %#&! down. We've got to start somewhere. That's like ripping Apple for the first iPhone without having the vision to see how great it could become in a few years. Same with Apple maps.

Not really. It's the first version of an App, but it's replacing another App. If they replaced the Messages App with an all new one, and it was awful, the fact that it was new wouldn't be an excuse for it's quality.

- I LOVE the ability to now say "Siri, find me the closest Trader Joe's market" and I can view all of the nearest locations the map at the same time to figure out which one is the best one to go to! I could never do that before with Google Maps.

Good for you. On the other hand, nothing is on the map round here and the streets are wrong or absent.

- We go from NO turn-by-turn navigation ---> FREE turn-by-turn navigation w/ traffic information. Jesus christ talk about ungrateful :rolleyes:

Personally I love the new Apple Maps application, and I have the vision to see it will get better. Those who want to complain can always simply bookmark m.google.com/maps and use the html5 version.

Turn by turn navigation on a woefully inadquate map. What kind of map doesn't distinguish between road types? (wrong word probably). If I'm going to use it as a SatNav I need to be able to see if it's an A-road or B-road or motorway that I'm coming towards. Or if I need to plan my own route (which I would have to as the navigation takes odd slow routes for no reason) it's much easier to be able to see what's going on properly!

It's rubbish. It doesn't do anything new worthwhile, and the it doesn't do the things that the old app did as well as the old app.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Non-issue... Navigate to YouTube in safari and add the icon to the home screen. You now have a perfectly functioning YouTube webapp, full screen and all.

I did this exact thing the first day I bought my iPad because the old stock YouTube app was inferior to the website.

Used to be that way but since Google updated the site recently,
full screen no longer works in Safari at least on the iPad 3...

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
I though the maps were great to start with.........

Birmingham Airport isnt even listed. When you search for it, it shows Aldridge Airport.

During the 20th century modern shops were built in the centre of Aldridge, as well as council buildings. After the Second World War Aldridge became a dormitory town, or suburb, of Birmingham. A small airport called Walsall Aldridge Airport was used during the Second World War and after was used for passenger services.

So it seems like they used 2nd world war maps to create the UK then.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO

I agree, it is worth the downgrade in order to have Turn-by-turn IMO. I did not even know the public transportation info was in the maps app anyway. So I personally do not see the downgrade like others do. I understand their complaint, but I thought I heard that google was going to release a Maps application for the iPhone after the iPad YouTube app is released.

What if.....

Apple wanted Turn-by-Turn on iOS but Google told them to **** off so Apple had no choice but to create their own mapping service and not only that, try and get it out before the new iPhone due to not having a current licenses to run googles maps.

This could easily be the real reason.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Here's a stop-gap measure to get a version of Google Maps on your device:
maps.google.com
add to home screen
no street view though that I can find

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
It's a maps app. Function over form please. Google Maps was amazing in how much data they were able to fit in a map that scaled perfectly based on the zoom level, yet kept everything in a manner that is easy to absorb by the user. Now I can't even see which way the streets go in Manhattan, where almost all streets are one way, unless I zoom way in. The arrows are also tiny and 3rd party map overlays and route highlights will cover them, rendering maps basically useless.

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
I updated the iPad to iOS 6. Very glad I didn't update my 4S. What a complete waste. Maps looks like it was made before the turn of the century. The richest company on earth and they give us this half ass update that seems more like a downgrade to me, at least on the iPad.

Exactly. Rich company like apple releasing this? It's only the beginning of things to come now that the visionary is gone.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Until you mentioned street view I had no idea it was available on the iPhone, had to google how to use it and must say that's damn cool.

I jailbroke my work phone, so I will not be updating it anytime soon. I also just googled street view... That is pretty sweet. I also like going back and forth with the standard and the satellite views.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

- The maps app was NEVER updated because it was Google, now it will be all the time because it's Apples

What the hell have I got to be grateful for? I bought my iPad with a feature that worked really well. I paid full price for it, which was quite a considerable price too, and now with an update they've replaced something that I used a lot and that worked really well with something that's absolutely abysmal. All because of their pathetic little feud with a rival company.

Grateful? Do me a favour mate..

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
What the hell have I got to be grateful for? I bought my iPad with a feature that worked really well. I paid full price for it, which was quite a considerable price too, and now with an update they've replaced something that I used a lot and that worked really well with something that's absolutely abysmal. All because of their pathetic little feud with a rival company.

Grateful? Do me a favour mate..

You didn't have to update.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

UPDATE <~~ See that word? Usually updates improve things.

---

Luton's at the seaside now apparently:

apple-maps-gate-io6-problems-1.jpg

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

Not sure what this has to do with my quote. My quote refers to the original Maps app which was replaced in iOS 6. The original was always written by Apple - not Google as the OP suggested. It only used Google's data (which is far superior compared to Apple's as everyone is pointing out).

----------

Anyone buying the new phone is forced into iOS 6. Means I have to pick either LTE or decent mapping. Kind of sucks.

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Here's a stop-gap measure to get a version of Google Maps on your device:
maps.google.com
add to home screen
no street view though that I can find

iFindYou - Google Map data and Google Streetview data
StreetViewer - Apple Map data but with Google Street view data

Both apps are free. 2nd one has a non-ad version for 69p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.