Apple Under fire because of MAPS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Chevenowner, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chevenowner macrumors regular

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

Looks like a downgrade at least in the UK.

Many ipad users too not happy losing the youtube app, means no more full screen youtube...

3. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

I have read Google is planning to update youtube for the ipad, here's hoping they do the same for maps. There are already decent alternatives to the default maps - including low cost apps that also work offline.

Apple messed up this one I think. Well I'll know tonight when I update. :rolleyes:

4. appswipe macrumors 6502

Im torn on the new maps. I love having a Siri assisted GPS and Ive never used pedestrian/subway maps so that doesnt affect me. But I do feel bad for those big city folks who are affected by the loss of certain map features.

Overall, my bet is that a large majority of users dont even notice that the maps software changed and I doubt Apple is "under fire" because they included a fantastically smokescreen with that (IMO) useless 3D maps feature.

5. Sputnek macrumors regular

Here is my 2 cents, I think one of Steve Jobs's dying wish was to exclude Google from iOS all together due to Google coming out with the Android phone after the initial iphone was made. In trying to fulfill his wish Apple as a whole really let the ball drop on this one.

------------------------------

R.I.P. Steve:apple:

6. dchao macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple've messed up. Apple really was pissed that Google was sitting on Apple's board at the same time developing a competitor OS. :eek:

You can not count on Google to provide you the map data, now they are Apple's No 1 enemy.

7. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

It's a significant downgrade in NYC as well. No street view + no subway info = fail.

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Even if true, no company would(should) be dumb enough to put wishes over the best interest of the user.

Emotions in business is not a good thing.

9. nfl46 macrumors 604

Google needs to hurry up with YouTube for iPad! You would have thought they had it ready for yesterday.

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I updated the iPad to iOS 6. Very glad I didn't update my 4S. What a complete waste. Maps looks like it was made before the turn of the century. The richest company on earth and they give us this half ass update that seems more like a downgrade to me, at least on the iPad.

11. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Maybe if google had allowed turn by turn and other features apple wouldent of had to make a new maps app. it was google who didnt want features on the iphone version.

12. mikey2004 macrumors regular

mikey2004

I agree with that but I also remember Steve saying about new features arriving late on the iPhone because "they wanted it to be perfect". It feels like Apple has rushed to get this out just to have a "big" feature on iOS 6

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Apple better be committing a lot of resources to improving the detail of their maps. It's not only lacking streetview, but the level of detail, when it comes to buildings, is pathetic.

14. 4rtemidis macrumors regular

4rtemidis

Critics are good :D
    They will have to make it better!

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

So you hear all the bad stuff about maps etc and you are still updating and will no doubt piss and moan like others who where also warned about maps not being "up-to-scratch".

16. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Lot's of ungrateful complainers in here so I figured I would try to be devils advocate for the other side of things:

- The maps app was NEVER updated because it was Google, now it will be all the time because it's Apples

- It's the first version, calm the %#&! down. We've got to start somewhere. That's like ripping Apple for the first iPhone without having the vision to see how great it could become in a few years. Same with Apple maps.

- I LOVE the ability to now say "Siri, find me the closest Trader Joe's market" and I can view all of the nearest locations the map at the same time to figure out which one is the best one to go to! I could never do that before with Google Maps.

- We go from NO turn-by-turn navigation ---> FREE turn-by-turn navigation w/ traffic information. Jesus christ talk about ungrateful :rolleyes:

Personally I love the new Apple Maps application, and I have the vision to see it will get better. Those who want to complain can always simply bookmark m.google.com/maps and use the html5 version.

17. MonkeySee...., Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What if.....

Apple wanted Turn-by-Turn on iOS but Google told them to **** off so Apple had no choice but to create their own mapping service and not only that, try and get it out before the new iPhone due to not having a current licenses to run googles maps.

----------

I 100% agree. I can't believe what i'm reading on these forums.

18. SprSynJn Guest

Well said sir. Well said.

19. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Umm there are a lot of other things being updated as well-even if I don't like maps (and I said "I'll see" maybe it will have some cool stuff) I am not willing to give up the other updates for lack of one feature.

I am well aware this is only the start for Apple's maps app, I still would need something full featured for right now - I can use the mobile version of google's map in safari. It's nice to have choices.

20. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

The future potential is irrelevant. We're buying the phone now and almost all of us coming from a previous iPhone are paying money for a downgraded maps performance in a brand new device. Now granted, the other improvements on the iPhone 5 make the purchase worthwhile but you don't expect any downgrades in functionality when you UPGRADE.

21. Duck117 macrumors member

To update or not to update... that is the question.

I've only got iPhone 4 so a lot of the new features won't be available. I'd basically just be swapping google's map service to apple's map service. No turn by turn, no siri etc.

It's still incredibly hard to resist updating!

22. opmisk macrumors member

Non-issue... Navigate to YouTube in safari and add the icon to the home screen. You now have a perfectly functioning YouTube webapp, full screen and all.

I did this exact thing the first day I bought my iPad because the old stock YouTube app was inferior to the website.

23. femin macrumors newbie

I always wanted 1 thing in iphone that it should have its own turn-by-turn navigation system, i saw the promo video that it finally going to release it on the iphone 5, i ordered right away. now that it sucks i might have to return it and keep using my Galaxy S2. I use the navigation everyday and i can't live without it.

24. megapopular macrumors 6502a

You're "PAYING MONEY" and it's a known fact that the google map app won't be on iPhone 5 until or if the App Store releases a google map app. It runs stock iOS 6, so if it doesn't meet your needs DON'T BUY IT!!

25. Duck117 macrumors member

Is it actually that bad? It looks great on the promo video! I really want it to be good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.