Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Sorry looks my update above is wrong? The new modular ultra face is in my watch gallery that I added and then configured (and it’s in the new faces too) BUT it isn’t showing up on my last year’s Ultra watch. I have both the iOS 17 and watchOS 10 RC’s installed.

It’s either a bug that it’s not working on the older ultra watch or a bug that I can add it to my older Ultra watch’s watch faces from the Watch App.

Anyone know anything more on this? Thx!

I had this issue initially, as I whilst my watch was updating from beta 8 to the RC. I deleted the Watch Face and added again, and worked fine.

t2jd1967

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
You might not want one, but many do. No harm in giving us the choice.
There may be many reasons why Apple does not want to issue a black titanium version yet. For one, the Ultra is sold as a rugged watch. It makes little sense to coat a material that is meant to take some wear and tear and that wear and tear will invariably damage the coating.

I am sure that there is demand for such a product. Perhaps Apple is working on some type of through-and-through colouring and the company couldn't make it work in time for the Ultra 2 release. It makes sense for the company to hold back on products that it does not deem fit for release.

Reactions: tivoboy and DaPhox

t2jd1967

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
So you wouldn't have to buy it, doesn't mean the option shouldn't exist
I am just lazily going to copy-and-paste my earlier reply.

There may be many reasons why Apple does not want to issue a black titanium version yet. For one, the Ultra is sold as a rugged watch. It makes little sense to coat a material that is meant to take some wear and tear and that wear and tear will invariably damage the coating.

I am sure that there is demand for such a product. Perhaps Apple is working on some type of through-and-through colouring and the company couldn't make it work in time for the Ultra 2 release. It makes sense for the company to hold back on products that it does not deem fit for release.

Edit: spelling.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Arbitrary software exclusion for older devices is what Apple always does, so I dunno why people are surprised? I grew increasingly tired of Apple's nonsense that the only product I own from them now is a Macbook.
Only that's not the case and it's available on the Ultra :rolleyes:

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Sorry looks my update above is wrong? The new modular ultra face is in my watch gallery that I added and then configured (and it’s in the new faces too) BUT it isn’t showing up on my last year’s Ultra watch. I have both the iOS 17 and watchOS 10 RC’s installed.

It’s either a bug that it’s not working on the older ultra watch or a bug that I can add it to my older Ultra watch’s watch faces from the Watch App.

Anyone know anything more on this? Thx!

IMG_3270.jpeg

It's working fine on my Ultra

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm what happened to the black Ultra? Guess that didn't pan out. Seems like a decent upgrade, brightness and the hand gestures are really interesting. If the resale value on AW's wasn't so awful I'd consider it, but will wait for the Ultra 3 or 4.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Yes it does.
Maybe you should have seen my later messages posted well before your response to see I’m already aware……

Also, you would have seen my reply to pcar17 that provided them help as to why they might have had an issue with it showing on the phone’s watch gallery but not popping up on the watch itself.

Basically, if you’re going to go back to old posts and reply, maybe fully catch up so you don’t post something that’s no longer relevant. 🤓

Last edited:

Anapple84

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
New gestures for U2, I really hope to see them in U1 too. After all, hand gestures already exist in the Acessibility>AssistiveTouch>Hand gestures and it works quite good in my view but I forgot I have them 😊

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Well I stand corrected. It does look like the new modular watch face is supported on last year’s Ultra. I’m seeing it in my new Watch App on iOS 17 RC. Updating the Watch Ultra now. Stay tuned.
That's exciting!

I'm so excited to try out iOS/ipadOS 17, and WatchOS 10 (and nope, I haven't tried any of the betas). The only OS I can't upgrade to is Sonoma (computer too old) unless I use whatever that program is that enables legacy Macs to use later OS. I might do that, but maybe a little later. Monday can't come soon enough! I wonder sometimes though if Apple will ever consider releasing these big upgrades on Friday. Then, many of us have the weekend to play with it!

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I do not believe their goal was to entice U1 upgrades to U2. This new Ultra is for someone who didn't already have an Ultra.
Looks like to me that the U2 is the beginning of a test process to see how to produce more sustainable/eco-friendly products. I'm guessing from this experience, Apple can better map out manufacturing processes it needs to get other devices better in line. So while from the consumer stand point the U2 is not much of an upgrade, I agree that it's a nice upgrade for those who don't already have the Ultra, AND also it's a test ground for modifying manufacturing and design processes.

Reactions: Anapple84

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Maybe you should have seen my later messages posted well before your response to see I’m already aware……

Also, you would have seen my reply to pcar17 that provided them supper as to why they might have had an issue with it showing on the phone’s watch gallery but not popping up on the watch itself.

Basically, if you’re going to go back to old posts and reply, maybe fully catch up so you don’t post something that’s no longer relevant. 🤓
Oh the irony 😆

• Disagree
Reactions: Ansath

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
My S6 has 9 complications (not including time), 1 of which is along the top and writes out the next calendar event. The new complication for the Ultras only has 7 (not including time), 1 of which is pretty big that allows lots of information. The complication around the bezel is too limited to count. So really, it doesn’t seem the ULTRA watch face has “the most” Complications…

Pcar17

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2018
Omg….are they only going to put that new watch face on the new Utra 2 vs the first Ultra?

Such baloney!

Ok….final post on this. I was finally able to get the new Modular Ultra face working on my Series 8 Ultra Watch. I had to “add” the new face from the watch itself. While I could add it in the iPhone Watch App, I could not set it to my current face. Also, I had to play around with configuring the time display on the face as it is buggy but I did get it to work.

** I’m running this week’s RC’s of iOS 17.0 and watchOS 10.0. See my watchface pic here.

incoming-670FF755-A16C-407B-877B-8A8CDFCE9F8A.png

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
Certainly a minor update but could convince people on standard editions or competitor products to make a switch potentially.
Me.

I just pre-ordered it. I have AW 7.

I think you are right, AWU 2 after only 1 year AWU 1 was released with only mostly internal upgrade is most certainly *NOT* aim for people who already own AWU 1.

1694660017922.png

Reactions: tomnavratil

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
New gestures for U2, I really hope to see them in U1 too. After all, hand gestures already exist in the Acessibility>AssistiveTouch>Hand gestures and it works quite good in my view but I forgot I have them 😊
Yep, Apple have just rebranded an accessibility option! I have been using the double tap for months and works fine, no fancy processor required.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Ok….final post on this. I was finally able to get the new Modular Ultra face working on my Series 8 Ultra Watch. I had to “add” the new face from the watch itself. While I could add it in the iPhone Watch App, I could not set it to my current face. Also, I had to play around with configuring the time display on the face as it is buggy but I did get it to work.

** I’m running this week’s RC’s of iOS 17.0 and watchOS 10.0. See my watchface pic here.

View attachment 2261305
Did you reboot both devices and then try watch app on phone? As it didn’t work on the watch app on the phone at first, but then it did after a reboot.

Rossmon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2022
Marin County
Don't tell me that the new Ultra Modular face is only available on the 2nd gen Ultra... But I wouldn't put it past Apple for making a watch face something where we have to buy new hardware.
The new processor with more storage, speed, efficiency along with some sensor updates is what enables a number of features the old Ultra cannot do. Same with the Series 9 compared to the 8.
I know it’s so easy to jump on Apple but marketing ploys is not the only thing on Apple corporates mind. It takes more power, ram, communications to run more simultaneous seeming apps in tiny niches of the watch face. If you want to jump on Apple, jump on them for something serious like supporting China for all these years and not because of frustration with their tech toys.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
The new processor with more storage, speed, efficiency along with some sensor updates is what enables a number of features the old Ultra cannot do. Same with the Series 9 compared to the 8.
I know it’s so easy to jump on Apple but marketing ploys is not the only thing on Apple corporates mind. It takes more power, ram, communications to run more simultaneous seeming apps in tiny niches of the watch face. If you want to jump on Apple, jump on them for something serious like supporting China for all these years and not because of frustration with their tech toys.
If you’d read the posts that followed, you’d have seen that the op’s (justified) fear was for nowt, as the watch face is on the first gen, after all. 🤓

Pcar17

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2018
If you’d read the posts that followed, you’d have seen that the op’s (justified) fear was for nowt, as the watch face is on the first gen, after all. 🤓
I was one of the folks that also went ballistic thinking the new Ultra faces were only going to be on the Ultra S9 but happily I was wrong. I'm staying with my 2022 Ultra S8 which is still amazing. Seems hard to get excited about the new gestures or 3k NITS. But I am looking to see the video reviews and trying the S9 out in the store.

P.S. I'm liking the new Modular Ultra face so far on my S8 Ultra but I also like last year's Wayfinder as well as the Infograph faces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.