Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Thats my question, why did they decide its a good idea to implement a new touchID on iPad but not on the iPhone?

I am pretty sure other companies like Google and Amazon would love to store you face images in their database and use it for face recognition methods to teach their AI. So since Apple does the same with Siri, collect your voice, maybe they collect your face too.

Yes I had few iphone models in use since 2012 and iPads before that, why do you ask?
I ask because MR posters who have Face ID (Touch ID included) should categorically know that info is not the cloud. And info is encrypted in the Secure Enclave.

As far as the iPad having Touch ID, my bet is that apple did a use case analysis and made their decision from that study.

Reactions: Corbets1979

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I was hoping for TouchID... like in the iPad.
Using a FaceID only iPhone in these COVID times is the worst user experience in almost a decade. Having to put in my secure multi digit, letter and symbol password over and over again throughout the day is a pain in the a**. FaceID is of no use with masks. Why is it in the iPad and not in the phone?
I'm seriously considering going Android for my work phone for the sake of touchID alone! Huge time saver and less of an annoyance. Enough for messaging, emailing etc., don't have to love the rest of the OS!
Sorry Apple, another pass! iPhone X goes another year. And if next years update is lacklustre again, I'll consider my options.
Yea the iPad part make it's worse to me. If I had an iPad, I would never be using it anywhere I would need a mask. An iPhone is more mobile, so you will be at public places with it, especially stores with Apple Pay. You don't use an iPad for AP

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Exactly why I won't be buying. I'm still rocking the iPhone 7, I don't need a fancy screen, fancy camera, etc. The two things I've been wanting either one of, but ideally both of, is:

- Dual touchID and faceID. Neither alone is perfect, but if it's got to be one or the other then touch-ID wins hands down, for me. And that's been my standpoint way before the introduction of face masks everywhere.
- All-day battery in a iPhone 7 size phone. This is a bit of a stretch, because today's technology limits this being feasible (I always use the iPhone XR / iPhone 11 as a benchmark for all day battery).

If an iPhone came out with just one of those, I'd buy straight away, but still waiting...
Yea I'm still on the fence, but TouchID on the 12 would have been instabuy for me

Reactions: leeuk321

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I tried face ID for a time and then went back to Touch ID. I found it too inconvenient in unlocking the phone from a horizontal position. So laying on a table/desk or mounted to my bike handle bars, face ID didn't work at this angle and required me to raise the phone. Has this changed?
The angle got a little better, but I am taller and still have to lean if it is flat. It has gotten faster though. Touch Id was good for flat, because I just added index along with my thumb for those times.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The black looks the best to me BUT I like getting white or some other color so that when I lay it on my bed, I can flip itto the side I can see so I don't sit on it. Black kind of hides in blue or red sheets but white is bright. And if the sheet it white, flip it so the black screen is up. #Lifehack
Funny I thought the same about my Smart Battery Case. Space Gray can hide in our dark blue sheets too. Definitely will get a brighter case next time.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Finally found a good comparison of the specs for the 12 Pro Max vs the 11 Pro Max I own. I had cobbled similar info that has put me over going ahead with my annual upgrade, but this helps me. Better Qualcomm modem, and some improvements to the camera system that I use a lot with my iPhones...

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I tried face ID for a time and then went back to Touch ID. I found it too inconvenient in unlocking the phone from a horizontal position. So laying on a table/desk or mounted to my bike handle bars, face ID didn't work at this angle and required me to raise the phone. Has this changed?

I believe that since the original iPhone X to today, they have made improvements to the angle that Face ID can see. Sometimes I’m surprised it saw me to unlock from being flat on my desk or car vent mount. That being said, I do occasionally have to hover my head over my phone a little more than I’d like. Its not more often than not, but it’s noticeable. Might be worth testing out when it’s safe and comfortable to visit an Apple store or Best Buy. I don’t think it’s quite where you need it to be yet.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
My biggest gripe, why are they still only at 12 megapixels? We have had 12 megapixels since the iPhone 7!

I’m no photographer, but if there’s one thing that Phil Schiller has drilled into my head is that once you hit that many megapixels, you aren’t necessarily going to be taking better pics just because of more megapixels. It’s that size of the sensor that keeps increasing with each iPhone that’s important. Larger sensor means more light comes in.

I’m sure it’s more complicated than that, and an argument could be made for more megapixels or bigger sensors. But the camera and the camera system with their Arm processors have seen big leaps with each generation, which is measured beyond the megapixels.

twocents

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2016
California, USA
Let’s hope some of the intuitive function-first-before-form/fashion aspects of pre-iOS7 return soon too.

2nd that! We have now been running the continually polished flat design longer than skeuomorphic based system was around for. Its kinda disappointing teaching people features like swipe to backspace in calculator that are cool in of themselves but are not intuitive and go unused. Best case study: 3D touch

Reactions: Tozovac

Tmdlkwd

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
SoCal
Not sure
maybe it has been mentioned or confirmed already

anyone know the RAM on the 12, 12 pro, and 12 pro max yet??

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I ask because MR posters who have Face ID (Touch ID included) should categorically know that info is not the cloud. And info is encrypted in the Secure Enclave.

As far as the iPad having Touch ID, my bet is that apple did a use case analysis and made their decision from that study.

how would they know!? all of this happens in the background.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Reactions: Corbets1979

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
When I go to the Apple Store app, it says 12 Pro Max not available yet (Oct 16)
Yep that was shared on annoucement day. The 12 Pro Max preorder is November 6 (along with the 12 mini) It gets confusing when they send out emails you can preset up order and such with your upgrade plan but thats only for the 12 and 12 pro. Basically we who want a Max have to wait until at least Election Day to do the preset up to supposedly easily finnish our preorder on November 6

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Another good Macrumor article yesterday one on comparison of the 12 pro vs 12 pro Max that really puts the specs in one place and does a basic analysis of what they mean. Another reason I like the 12 Pro Max. Posting for those interested who have not decided which model is for them in the pro line.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
I don't like the shiny look of the 12 Pro with it's 3 lenses, but seems like better value than the 12, especially 128 GB is enough, but 64 GB isnt. Your opinion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.