Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Unveils iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max With 5G, Flat-Edge Design, LiDAR Scanner, New Colors, and More

rylim

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2017
The black looks the best to me BUT I like getting white or some other color so that when I lay it on my bed, I can flip itto the side I can see so I don't sit on it. Black kind of hides in blue or red sheets but white is bright. And if the sheet it white, flip it so the black screen is up. #Lifehack

Perhaps you can change your mattress cover to other color ;)

I wanted to get the blue color but not sure how it actually looks like

Comment

rKunda

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2008
My biggest gripe, why are they still only at 12 megapixels? We have had 12 megapixels since the iPhone 7!

Megapixels as a sole measure doesn’t really give you all that much information. Don’t assume more on that one number is really better.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
Finally Apple catch up to Nokia N8 10 years later with a 12mp 1.7um sensor! Lmao, although that sensor was still a little bigger.

Comment

RedWeasel

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
With that logic, you can fill a larger megapixel count with the same thing.
Sure. But it's harder to fill a larger megapixel count with quality than just offering a larger megapixel count. Or to fill a smaller megapixel count with quality.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
What logical reason is it to include new TouchID on iPad but not iPhone!?
Will Apple store my face image in their iCloud servers? Does FaceID work in the dark?

• Love
Comment

cihag

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Will Apple store my face image in their iCloud servers? Does FaceID work in the dark?
I'm not a tech guy, but Apple says Face ID data is only stored locally on the phone, not iCloud. Also, it is not a picture of your face, but some randomly generated hash-data. So far, there is no evidence to the contrary, so I choose to believe apple in this regard.

And yes, Face ID also works in pitch black environments...

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple decided that isn't where they wanted to be...at least for 2020 iphone models.
Did it ever? What made think that face image data was ever in icloud? Face ID uses lasers and hence works in the dark. Out of curiosity...do you have an iphone?

Comment

clcnyc

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Decision made - 12 Pro Max, 128gb. I love the design. I haven’t decided on a color, but I got some time. I am currently using an XS Max and prefer the larger phones.
I’m on the fence between the 12 pro and 12 pro max. I’ve usually avoided the larger phones, but am sooooo tempted by the camera specs! Does the XS Max seem really large to hold, or do you just get used to it?

Comment

rjjacobson

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2014
I am curious is there any good charts showing the specs of the 11 Pro Max (what I have) and the 12 Pro Max. I tried to find a chart for each I could easily compare side by side. Since they pulled the 11 Pro Max cannot compare on apples site. Looking at ones I could find it appears the big difference on cameras is the deep fusion and all the ability to do much better low light than my 11 Pro Max on all three cameras. And the linear lenses making better low light pictures and faster focus on all cameras....

Other issue is with the Qualcomm 5G modem it sounds like a better modem. Our area does not have 5G with any carrier yet (too small, probably several years.) However we are in area between towers so the signal for AT&T and Verizon is weak, typically 1-2 bars so I use my home WiFi a lot with my 11 Pro Max. I suspect the Qualcomm modem may be much better even if I only have LTE available near my house. So this is the issue I wish Apple provided rather than selling the largely not available 5G with Verizon propaganda (do not trust the carriers and online info is sketchy and misleading). If I knew it would be better LTE and the improvements on camera would make me take advantage of my update program in November for 12 Pro Max.

I am hoping before the 12 Pro Max order week there might be some evaluations on the phone but I also seem to remember not much is allowed out til near order time in past so not sure there will be enough info to decide....

Any info on modems or the good camera side by side specs from 11 Pro Max to 12 Pro Max yet?

thanks

Reactions: jmpstar
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’m on the fence between the 12 pro and 12 pro max. I’ve usually avoided the larger phones, but am sooooo tempted by the camera specs! Does the XS Max seem really large to hold, or do you just get used to it?
I got used to the size on the max, now it's difficult to go to a smaller phone. Having said that, YMMV, on whether or not you will get used to a phone the size of the max.

Comment

Dooku

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
I am curious is there any good charts showing the specs of the 11 Pro Max (what I have) and the 12 Pro Max. I tried to find a chart for each I could easily compare side by side. Since they pulled the 11 Pro Max cannot compare on apples site. Looking at ones I could find it appears the big difference on cameras is the deep fusion and all the ability to do much better low light than my 11 Pro Max on all three cameras. And the linear lenses making better low light pictures and faster focus on all cameras....

Other issue is with the Qualcomm 5G modem it sounds like a better modem. Our area does not have 5G with any carrier yet (too small, probably several years.) However we are in area between towers so the signal for AT&T and Verizon is weak, typically 1-2 bars so I use my home WiFi a lot with my 11 Pro Max. I suspect the Qualcomm modem may be much better even if I only have LTE available near my house. So this is the issue I wish Apple provided rather than selling the largely not available 5G with Verizon propaganda (do not trust the carriers and online info is sketchy and misleading). If I knew it would be better LTE and the improvements on camera would make me take advantage of my update program in November for 12 Pro Max.

I am hoping before the 12 Pro Max order week there might be some evaluations on the phone but I also seem to remember not much is allowed out til near order time in past so not sure there will be enough info to decide....

Any info on modems or the good camera side by side specs from 11 Pro Max to 12 Pro Max yet?

thanks
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9846&idPhone2=10237
Enjoy :)

Comment

jmpstar

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
Has there been confirmation that we'll see Qualcomm in this year's iPhones? I'm not entirely sure if it's informed speculation or if it's been confirmed and I just missed it. :)

Comment

leeuk321

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2018
Meh. Slightly faster, same ugly notch and no screen changes (larger - but at the cost of a larger phone), meaningless 5G and LiDAR scanner (pure gimmick), and forced to get an unwieldy giant phone if you want a meaningful camera upgrade. What a joke, Apple. 🤦‍♂️ SMH
THIS is the best you could come up with?!
My thinking too, I'm tired of iPhone releases mainly being bumps to the screen and camera, it's all they bang on about. I appreciate maybe there's certain technical walls in terms of innovation, but the kind of things that would actually make me go "Wow, that's great" are:

- All day battery in a 4.7-5.4" phone
- Dual touchID / faceID
- USB-C port
- Actual scratch and shatter proof screen / body
- Lighter / slimmer without compromising battery / performance too much

Like I said, I appreciate that there's a lot of technical walls in terms of innovation, but these are the kind of things that'd really make me take interest in a new iPhone. I'm still on an iPhone 7, because I refuse to give up TouchID and none of the touchID iPhones since the 7 has warranted the upgrade.

Comment

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011

Apple today unveiled the new 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro and 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max at its pre-recorded "Hi, Speed" digital event.

The new Pro variants feature 5G, OLED Super Retina XDR displays with a hardened Ceramic Shield covering, and a new flat-edged design with a stainless steel band that's similar to the frame of Apple's iPad Pro.

The Super Retina XDR displays feature reduced borders and a 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio, 2,778 x 1,284 pixels, 1,200 nits peak brightness, and 458 ppl. iPhone 12 Pro Max offers the largest display ever on an iPhone and the highest resolution, featuring nearly 3.5 million pixels.

Both devices include Apple's new 5-nanometer A14 Bionic processor and come with triple-lens cameras with advanced photography features, including an Ultra wide 12MP camera with f/1.6 aperture, and a 7-element lens.

The iPhone 12 Pro has a 52mm telephoto camera, bringing the optical zoom range to 4x, while the Pro Max model has a 65mm focal length telephoto lens for closer shots, tighter crops, and a 5x optical zoom range. The camera on the Pro Max also has a 47 percent larger sensor, with 1.7μm pixels for an 87 percent improvement in low-light conditions, and an "expansive" Ultra Wide camera.

Apple says there are improvements to Night mode, which has been expanded to the TrueDepth and Ultra Wide cameras, allowing for an even brighter picture. A new Night mode Time-Lapse option delivers longer exposure times for sharper videos, better light trails, and smoother exposure in low-light scenarios when used with a tripod. Deep Fusion also comes to all cameras and is better and faster than before, and with the new Smart HDR 3, users can expect more true-to-life images, even in complex scenes.

The cameras are capable of recording video in 10-bit Dolby Vision HDR in 4K resolution at 60 fps, with live preview of HDR content. There's also a LiDAR Scanner for enhancing augmented reality applications and providing faster autofocus for photos and videos, with focus time in low-light scenes improved sixfold.

Both models in the U.S. support millimeter wave, the higher frequency version of 5G, allowing iPhone 12 Pro models to reach speeds up to 4Gbps, even in densely populated areas. iPhone 12 Pro models also feature Smart Data mode, which extends battery life by intelligently assessing 5G needs and balancing data usage, speed, and power in real time.

The Ceramic Shield front cover is infused with nano-ceramic crystals to improve toughness and increase drop performance by 4x. Both models are water and dust resistant to IP68, can survive water submersion to 6 meters for 30 minutes, and are protected against everyday spills, including coffee and soda. They also support Apple's new MagSafe wireless chargers and iPhone cases, as well as accessories like the magnetic card wallet.
Both models are available in Pacific Blue, Graphite, Gold, and Silver. The iPhone 12 Pro starts at $999 and the iPhone 12 Pro Max starts at $1099, with both featuring a 128GB starting capacity, going up to 256GB/512GB.

The iPhone 12 Pro will be available to preorder at 5 a.m. PDT on Friday, October 16, and will be available Friday, October 23, while the iPhone 12 Pro Max will be available for preorder at 5 a.m. PST on November 6, with shipping commencing on Friday, November 13.

The above dates apply for customers in Australia, China, Germany, Japan, the UK, the US, and more than 30 other countries and regions. iPhone 12 Pro will be available in India, South Korea, and more than a dozen other countries beginning Friday, October 30.

This story is part of our live coverage of today's Apple Event.

Article Link: Apple Unveils iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max With 5G, Flat-Edge Design, LiDAR Scanner, New Colors, and More
iPhone-4 was my fav design... . Nice to see it back.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Apple decided that isn't where they wanted to be...at least for 2020 iphone models.

Did it ever? What made think that face image data was ever in icloud? Face ID uses lasers and hence works in the dark. Out of curiosity...do you have an iphone?

Thats my question, why did they decide its a good idea to implement a new touchID on iPad but not on the iPhone?

I am pretty sure other companies like Google and Amazon would love to store you face images in their database and use it for face recognition methods to teach their AI. So since Apple does the same with Siri, collect your voice, maybe they collect your face too.

Yes I had few iphone models in use since 2012 and iPads before that, why do you ask?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.