Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Unveils iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max With 5G, Flat-Edge Design, LiDAR Scanner, New Colors, and More

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Apple is pulling a fast one on the consumers. Their web site has intermixed the camera specs (max vs non-max) so a side-by-side compare can't be done as it can for all other technical differences - two columns. They want the consumer to be uninformed while the advert is still correct.
If you go to the Apple 12 Pro site and scroll down to camera it shows them side by side for Ultra Wide, Wide, and Tele. Most people aren't going to even check Tech Specs.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 4.47.00 PM.png

Comment

Petey07

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
What made you upgrade? I have a XS Max as well, so I’m curious.
This wasn't directly to me, but I'll share my thoughts Lol...

I have the XS Max, and was pretty underwhelm with this year release... but I'm kinda on the fence whether i should keep the XS Max or upgrade to the 12 (or 11s) Pro Max. What stands out to me is the 5G (with T-Mobile, but I'm actually good with LTE), I think the camera upgrade (I am not a photographer, but do like to take pictures) kind of won me a little, the magsafe (I'm currently using wireless chargers, but I do like that magsafe iPhone and Watch combo wallet for traveling tho), the 6.7in screen size, and of course the faster processor and ram (if they had upgraded more rams on the newer phones). Everything else seem to be a blah to me... If they had included the TouchID on the power button. Definately, i would upgrade.

I think the "innovations" for the iPhone is on a plateau for the past couples years... I feel like my XS Max is still holding well... I'm still ok with my phone, but If I don't get the 12 Pro Max, I'm hoping to see the 13 Pro Max (or whatever it is) is more innovating than the 11/12 Pro Max.

I still have til Nov to decide whether or not to upgrade.

Edit: Forgot to add that Intel modern on the XS Max < Qualcomm 12 Pro Max

Last edited:
Comment

WiseAJ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Because of the base storage upgrade, from 64gb last year to 128gb this year, if you choose to get a 256gb or 512gb model it’s actually $50 cheaper than last year.

Reactions: Corbets1979
Comment

JoB4031

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Delaware
Having a iPhone 8 Plus, I am tempted to go for the 12 mini as it has almost the same screen size and resolution in a slightly larger than iPhone 5/SE form factor. My biggest pause before purchasing is I don't know if I can give up touch ID. Also just having just purchased a 3D printer, I need to look into if the LiDAR has any useful apps that can scan objects accurately for printing. That could get me to consider a Pro model, but honestly I would like to hold out for an upgraded iPad mini that has said feature.

Comment

joiwomcow

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2017
Curvy sides....flat sides...curvy sides....flat sides...
At least now we know what revolutionary design innovation the iPhone 15 will exhibit. Bet it still has the lightning port though.

Comment

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Having a iPhone 8 Plus, I am tempted to go for the 12 mini as it has almost the same screen size and resolution in a slightly larger than iPhone 5/SE form factor. My biggest pause before purchasing is I don't know if I can give up touch ID. Also just having just purchased a 3D printer, I need to look into if the LiDAR has any useful apps that can scan objects accurately for printing. That could get me to consider a Pro model, but honestly I would like to hold out for an upgraded iPad mini that has said feature.

I was a holdout for Touch ID. I have since come around to Face ID, it works really well and I'm a fan. The only downside is if you're wearing a mask during covid, it's a bit of a pain, gotta keep entering your passcode.

Reactions: BlueCreek
Comment

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I like the 12 Pro Max. I will upgrade my 11 Pro Max to this 12.

If anyone wants to buy my excellent condition 11 Pro Max in November send me a message. It is around 1 year old. I would like to get maybe $500 USD for it. It is gold and everything works as it should. I am from Canada.

By the way, you can currently get $500 trading the iPhone 11 Pro Max directly to Apple.

Comment

DLCinPSL

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2018
These keynotes seem so cold and impersonal now. I get that they are virtual, but they all seem like people grown in a lab with no personality. I’d prefer someone just standing on stage instead of going to these weird places inside Apple Park. I don’t lnow, it just seems so corporate and cold to me while trying to seem down to earth.

I actually enjoy the apple events and DREAM of working there. It’s like Disney World to me ❤️

Reactions: fatTribble
Comment

swrobel

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2014
Comment

JoB4031

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Delaware
I was a holdout for Touch ID. I have since come around to Face ID, it works really well and I'm a fan. The only downside is if you're wearing a mask during covid, it's a bit of a pain, gotta keep entering your passcode.

I tried face ID for a time and then went back to Touch ID. I found it too inconvenient in unlocking the phone from a horizontal position. So laying on a table/desk or mounted to my bike handle bars, face ID didn't work at this angle and required me to raise the phone. Has this changed?

Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Which color would you guy pick?
The black looks the best to me BUT I like getting white or some other color so that when I lay it on my bed, I can flip itto the side I can see so I don't sit on it. Black kind of hides in blue or red sheets but white is bright. And if the sheet it white, flip it so the black screen is up. #Lifehack

Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2007
Clive, Iowa
The new design looks good but otherwise very meh. The obvious upgrade was Touch ID in the new masked world, the lack of that is a fail. Maybe 5G will start to matter by this time next year, but even that is a very big maybe.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
The camera system looks a lot better on the Pro Max. Dang.

I’m torn. I usually don’t prefer the bigger iPhone. But the last one I had was the 6 Plus, which was the first big iPhone. However, the software has come a long way with the scrunched keyboard toggle and the flick down for reachability. I was also kinda forced to change my habit when the iPhone X came out since the display was so tall, so maybe it would be fine now. I’ve never used the Max before. I have pretty average sized male hands. Any thoughts from people on the forums who switched to a Max after not liking the Plus years ago?

I love having a great camera on me at all times and being a photographer myself, I understand how much larger sensors help. Even being at home so much this year, I still don’t want to go get out all my photo gear just to take some snaps of my kids. The iPhone is good enough, but could always use improvement which is why the Max excites me this year.

Comment

fatTribble

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2018
Comic Book Store
I really don’t understand why people don’t get the zoom thing. There is nothing misleading about the way they are advertising it.
Maybe I don’t understand the difference then between the 11 Pro and 12 Pro. What zoom capability does the 12 Pro have over the 11 Pro? if the 12 Pro said 4x zoom then that to me would mean it’s a better zoom. But a 4x range between 2x zoom in and 2x zoom out doesn’t sound like a change. I’ll be happy if I’m missing something.

Comment

icrude

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
I wish Apple would quit advertising the aperture rating on these cameras. It is not an honest number when comparing to an actual professional camera. F1.7 or whatever the iPhone has is comparable to like an F15 of a normal full frame camera...which is why the phone must use machine learning to create a fake blurred background. It’s smart marketing I’ll give them that but I wish there was more of a standard when advertising aperture and it was easier to know how it compares to other cameras of different sensor size.

Comment

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Maybe I don’t understand the difference then between the 11 Pro and 12 Pro. What zoom capability does the 12 Pro have over the 11 Pro? if the 12 Pro said 4x zoom then that to me would mean it’s a better zoom. But a 4x range between 2x zoom in and 2x zoom out doesn’t sound like a change. I’ll be happy if I’m missing something.
There is no change the zoom is the same between the 11 Pro and 12 Pro

Comment

Jared Strike

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
My biggest gripe, why are they still only at 12 megapixels? We have had 12 megapixels since the iPhone 7!

Comment

asus389

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
USA
PWM city... Unless they have solved it?That being said otherwise looks like a great lineup!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.