Apple Unveils iPhone 7 With Water Resistance, A10 Fusion, New 'Jet Black' Color, Updated Cameras, No Headphone Jack, and More

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
Jax44, how many GB of data are you getting on your iPads? I was stunned to see it's costing me $82 for two iPads for 3GB of data a month.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Ya, I'm annoyed by the move. But them deciding to pull the plug (hehe) is truly an act of courage. Time will tell if it was also intelligent.
I bought the first iPod with Firewire cable. It took sometime to Apple to realized USB was the way to go... then Everyone was happy. now it's Lightning VS usb 3 let's see.
[doublepost=1473394895][/doublepost]
LOL at the price increase. I'll stick to my SE, I'm done spending $800+ on phones
yeah, because Samsung are so cheap!

funkysmurf

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
Sydney
Does the coming soon depth-of-field effect only apply to photos? What about video?
Since the effect is achieved via software, it's not 'real bokeh' in a traditional sense. Unless they come up with some awesome idea to implement via software, we are not likely to see this effect applied to video - not in real time anyway.

DoF is largely a function of lens (aperture - faster is better, focal length), distance to subject, distance of subject and background and camera sensor. You can increase/maximise the effect the more control you have over these aspects. There are not a lot of options with a phone camera.

EJ Lala

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2016
I don't care much for the removal of the headphone jack, adding another step in an already complicated system will likely reduce the sound quality. Your at the mercy of whatever garbage audio chip they put in your headphones/earbuds ect..

The people saying they finally went full digital are fools, they simply moved processing outside of the phone but the device is still analog.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
"Shure"ly if you can afford Shure SE846's as your ear buds, you can afford a decent bluetooth headset.
Nice one (on the pun)! But no. After shelling that much money, I "shurely" don't want to spend on anything earphones related any time soon LOL!

fathergll

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2014
Some people value form over function. Some prefer prefer to look at the entire package. Great design is timeless. I guess youl wouldn't wear a Rolex, then? That's your prerogative, but lots of people do.

Who the heck 'upgrades' their Rolex every 2 years?

It's simple. Apple charges a lot of money for these devices. Not everyone wants to shell out close to a $1000 for a phone every year or 2. They better come up with a new design to entice me. They will have plenty of sales since most people live on credit and people with $200 in their bank account will still end up buying a $800+ phone.
[doublepost=1473452495][/doublepost]
I can objectively say that this is a okay upgrade. For someone looking for a new iPhone this year, I don't think they'll be disappointed. But for me, someone that has been eyeing some Android handsets, it isn't enough to entice me to buy. I'm looking forward to seeing Google's Nexus (Pixel) offerings later this year. Google has been doing some really cool things with software lately that I'm pretty jazzed about. We'll see how things look between Apple and the other manufacturers by November of this year. I'm not fueling the Apple hate train, but does anyone else agree?

I agree. I actually forgot about the launch event until today and saw the phone. Its a solid phone but I'm not enticed to buy it at all. I just had a conversation with my co-worker this morning who is really into music and said the no-headphone jack is a no go for him. He said he was done with iPhones and switching to a Galaxy. I'm not sure what Im doing....I want to see the iPhone 8 before making a purchase

Reactions: v0lume4

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Who the heck 'upgrades' their Rolex every 2 years?

It's simple. Apple charges a lot of money for these devices. Not everyone wants to shell out close to a $1000 for a phone every year or 2. They better come up with a new design to entice me. They will have plenty of sales since most people live on credit and people with $200 in their bank account will still end up buying a $800+ phone.
[doublepost=1473452495][/doublepost]

I agree. I actually forgot about the launch event until today and saw the phone. Its a solid phone but I'm not enticed to buy it at all. I just had a conversation with my co-worker this morning who is really into music and said the no-headphone jack is a no go for him. He said he was done with iPhones and switching to a Galaxy. I'm not sure what Im doing....I want to see the iPhone 8 before making a purchase
Right... Done with Iphone and changing ecosystem because of the jack, cool story bro.

Your phone is not worth zero after 2 years, you can actually sell it and thus the annual cost is in fact much lower. A few hundred. The actual cost of that low resale value Android phone is actually higher.

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
The two stereo speakers are in the bottom of the device? The pictures I saw verify this. If this is the case, then I don't understand how this will work. When you hold your phone, you will always cover a part of the speakers. Stereo speakers make sense if you have one on the top and one on the bottom of the device. Can someone explain how this design is any good?
I am typing this on my beautiful HTC 10, that has Boomsound speakers and amazing sound quality.
It is also interesting that all these years Apple fans have been ignoring the awful mono sound of the iPhone. Now that Apple is delivering stereo sound everybody is saying how important that is.
Anyway, I would appreciate an explanation regarding the speaker setup. Thanks

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
The two stereo speakers are in the bottom of the device? The pictures I saw verify this. If this is the case, then I don't understand how this will work. When you hold your phone, you will always cover a part of the speakers. Stereo speakers make sense if you have one on the top and one on the bottom of the device. Can someone explain how this design is any good?
I am typing this on my beautiful HTC 10, that has Boomsound speakers and amazing sound quality.
It is also interesting that all these years Apple fans have been ignoring the awful mono sound of the iPhone. Now that Apple is delivering stereo sound everybody is saying how important that is.
Anyway, I would appreciate an explanation regarding the speaker setup. Thanks
There's only one on the bottom. The other grill is faux with one hole used for the mic and the rest are blank. The other speaker is the earpiece one. So it must be an upgraded speaker from what has previously been in earpieces. It is supposed to give stereo in landscape mode. Seems a little odd that one speaker is pointed at you and the other in a perpendicular direction. Don't know if they did something special to address the acoustics.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
[doublepost=1473347256][/doublepost]Does anyone know how to preorder an iPhone 7 unlocked and sim free, or will this come later? I don't want to have any carrier contract as I work overseas, but can't seem to find a way to order on apple.com without selecting a carrier.
You have to wait till launch date and walk into an Apple Store and request a phone "device only". No online device only sales, or the foreign resellers would be ordering all of the phones.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I know no-one has the 7 yet but was just wondering if anyone had read anywhere about the charging aspect? Apparently it might have faster charging?? (And yes, I know you can use a higher wattage plug...)

organic bond

macrumors regular
May 5, 2007
I am getting so fed up with the Apple hypobole and lack of real innovation. Today was so underwhelming. Anyone else considering jumping ship to Android?
I've got a Samsung S7, very happy with it. Paid € 550. No need to go through iTunes, much easier, finally! And I used to hate Android, which is indeed good now.

Reactions: BruiserB

devsfan1830

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
VA
I don't know how else to explain it.

Subsidized Phone: $299, $399, $499
Unsubsidized Phone: $749

Both phones new out of the box

Monthly bill for BOTH plans: the same for me as it always has. No change in monthly cost
I honestly have no idea what you are on about anymore. A subsidized phone being cheaper is smoke and mirrors. Plain and simple. You pay the 299,399,499 upfront and then they make part of the subsidized remainder back in the monthly fees under the two year plan which is why you pay hefty penalties for breaking contract.

Under the new plan, yes the phone is $749 but spread over 24 months the cost of the monthly plan is nearly identical to the old plan. A few key differences. 1)You pay NOTHING upfront aside from the first installment. 2) For OTHER phones that may be cheaper, the installment based plan actually brings a REDUCTION in monthly payments because rather than the traditional 2-year plan setting a single rate for everyone regardless of phone. The new plans actually account for the ACTUAL cost of the phone and set the rates accordingly.
[doublepost=1473787831][/doublepost]
This would all make sense if my rate plan (that previously included the cost of a subsidized phone) dropped by $25/month...but it hasn't and there is not an option that provides the same amenities at this discounted price.

Your solution means I not only give up the subsidized device, but I also loose other features such as included data.....so again....this explanation is invalid.
I have no idea what you are talking about. What amenities? What discount?

I'm coming off a plain 2 year contract with my iPhone 6. Paid about 121 a month for a 16GB plan after a 15% employer discount. My iPhone 7 comes friday. My rate plan has entirely unchanged. Still 121 a month with the same employer discount. I paid a 62 dollar first installment + upgrade fee on my phone, a 128GB iPhone 7 which has the same base cost as my old iPhone 6. By switching i also GAINED an extra 2GB/month as some sort of promo deal. So I actually get 18GB for the cost of 16GB. By my math i actually saved around 240 dollars because under the old plan my first payment would have been 300 dollars for the phone itself and then the same monthly fee for the next two years. Instead of then selling my iphone for 200 bucks to offset that cost I can instead POCKET the money and use it for something else. Alterntaively, I can use the promo Verison has and give them my old phone and get a 650 dollar credit spread over two years which drops the monthly cost of my phone from 40 bucks to about 5 bucks. So my total bill would drop from 121 to 81. The additional perk of the installments, this time next year I can hand them back my phone, which every phone I owned has been in prisitine shape, and just swap into the iPhone 7S or 8 or whatever is I so choose without any ETFs.

Last edited:

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I honestly have no idea what you are on about anymore. A subsidized phone being cheaper is smoke and mirrors. Plain and simple. You pay the 299,399,499 upfront and then they make part of the subsidized remainder back in the monthly fees under the two year plan which is why you pay hefty penalties for breaking contract.

Under the new plan, yes the phone is $749 but spread over 24 months the cost of the monthly plan is nearly identical to the old plan./QUOTE]

You're right in that it doesn't matter anymore as this is my 1st time paying the entire price of the phone. My contract ends on 21 September.

Before, while receiving my new phones, I used to get them subsidized but now its 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I honestly have no idea what you are on about anymore.
Clearly. I'm done arguing your semantics. The phones were subsidized. The carrier made up the subsidy by charging an inflated monthly rate. I worked in the industry for several years so I know this very well, despite your arguments otherwise.

Verizon made it all good for me when I realized the access fee was discounted by $20/mo to make up for the loss of subsidy (they reduced their monthly charge in return for my not taking a subsidy...it's really simple math).

Give up and just walk away because you are saying the same thing yet arguing stupid semantics. If you can't wrap your head around the use of the term subsidy in this example, that's your issue.

Last edited:

Bubble99

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2015
It does not make sense why Apple would remove the Headphone Jack to give you the their own stuff that they are forcing people to get. It seems it nothing more than money grab.

Forcing you to get their stuff. Really bad move on Apple. But apart from that this looks like really good phone.

cmanbrazil

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Why don't you switch to a Verizon plan where the access fee for not-subsizied phones is $20/month?

I don't think there's any example of where paying monthly for a phone on an old plan that doesn't give the discount is "any better".

There are examples of where paying monthly for a phone on a newer plan is less expensive than doing the above.
[doublepost=1473342073][/doublepost]
Pacific Time
Sir, you are correct and I just switched. However, the plans that were recommended on the site were still 40 for multiline plans. A manger at the store showed me the 20 dollar option. So for 300 and something I'm trading in my 6 plus 64gb and getting a 7 plus 256 and a 20 a month reduced line fee! Thanks!

Reactions: aristobrat

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
It had to happen sometime. I'd say courage is accurate.
I'd say it takes courage to force you to use TWO dongles to do basic stuff like listen to music while charging. So you're absolutely right. They also managed to create the biggest mobile phone since Mobira Cityman if you hook up all those dongles to be able to use it. I wonder how long it'll take for the nickname 'Octopus' to stick. :p

Based on the charts the "improved" battery life is a joke, the waterproofing is useless as long as the warranty doesn't cover any water damage and, well, you do get the wonderful dual speakers for nice stereo sound. As if anyone actually ever listens to music using those tin cans. The camera might be nice but frankly I still grab my DSLR if I want anything done. For a daily snapper it may be ok, but even then I just got back from a vacation where I had my iPhone and two cameras, one pocket size and another superzoom. I took one (1) photo on my iPhone during that time. Those two others totaled around 1k images and videos more.

iPhone 7 and 7plus are exactly what we expected them to be - sadly so. This'll be the first time ever I'm skipping more than one model in row. If the next one is as big of a disappointment I'll probably rather blow my head off with a Note 7 or something. Now waiting to be disappointed by the Macbook Pro which will most probably be anything but Pro.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
I'd say it takes courage to force you to use TWO dongles to do basic stuff like listen to music while charging. So you're absolutely right. They also managed to create the biggest mobile phone since Mobira Cityman if you hook up all those dongles to be able to use it. I wonder how long it'll take for the nickname 'Octopus' to stick. :p

Based on the charts the "improved" battery life is a joke, the waterproofing is useless as long as the warranty doesn't cover any water damage and, well, you do get the wonderful dual speakers for nice stereo sound. As if anyone actually ever listens to music using those tin cans. The camera might be nice but frankly I still grab my DSLR if I want anything done. For a daily snapper it may be ok, but even then I just got back from a vacation where I had my iPhone and two cameras, one pocket size and another superzoom. I took one (1) photo on my iPhone during that time. Those two others totaled around 1k images and videos more.

iPhone 7 and 7plus are exactly what we expected them to be - sadly so. This'll be the first time ever I'm skipping more than one model in row. If the next one is as big of a disappointment I'll probably rather blow my head off with a Note 7 or something. Now waiting to be disappointed by the Macbook Pro which will most probably be anything but Pro.
I hear ya. I actually cancelled the 7 plus I had on order.