Apple Updates AirPods Pro Firmware to Version 2D27

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new firmware update for the AirPods Pro, upgrading the existing 2D15 firmware to 2D27.

No details are available on what's included in the refreshed firmware at this time, but there have been ongoing complaints from AirPods Pro users about issues with Active Noise Cancellation and crackling or popping sounds.

Apple is also adding a new spatial audio feature to the AirPods Pro in iOS 14, so there's a chance the firmware update is related to that new option. Spatial audio essentially provides surround sound using advanced motion tracking and device location techniques.

There's no clear cut way to upgrade the firmware of the AirPods Pro, with the new firmware installed over-the-air while the AirPods are connected to an iOS device. Putting the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ in the case, connecting the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ to a power source, and then pairing the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ to an iPhone or an iPad should force the update after a short period of time.

You can check your AirPods Pro firmware by following these steps:
  • Make sure the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ are connected to your iOS device.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌AirPods‌‌.
  • Look at the number next to "Firmware Version."
It's been over a month since Apple released the 2D15 firmware, and there were mixed reports about whether that update helped with some of the issues that people have been experiencing.

‌AirPods Pro‌ firmware updates often include performance improvements, bug fixes, and feature tweaks, but we may not find out what's new for some time as Apple does not provide any kind of release notes for ‌‌AirPods‌ updates.

Article Link: Apple Updates AirPods Pro Firmware to Version 2D27

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

kissmo

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Sound quality for me has degraded since last FW.
I feel like I am listening to some cheap headsets.
I cleaned and replaced the tips eventually but still the same.
Hopefully this update will fix that.

Last edited:

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Sound quality and ANC have been quite bad with the last firmware.
Also, seal check always showed a problem no matter which tips I used.

Hoping for an improvement to make them work better than €35 headphones...
- - Post merged: - -

Here's this for a feature request: how about making a way to update the firmware manually? This is the only Apple device like this. Ridiculous.
Nope, it‘s the same with the Pencil.

Chytin

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
I have the crackling sound in the left ear. The moment you walk or cycling, you hear this sound almost non stop.
Hope this firmware fixes the issue otherwise it's time to visit the Apple Store.

Edit: updated to 2D27 and the crackling sound is still.

Last edited:

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
I have the crackling sound in the left ear. The moment you walk or cycling, you hear this sound almost non stop.
Hope this firmware fixes the issue otherwise it's time to visit the Apple Store.
I had that same issue in my left ear! And when I talked, it would only get worse. Turned out it was a hardware problem and I had to send them in and get a replacement. This happens to a lot of people apparently

Peter Alexander

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
Calabasas, CA
Saw this post and immediately updated my airpods pro , it was really quick i just opened the case plugged in the lightning cable and voila ! updated dunno whats new but i have noticed that it seems faster to connect the pop up window is almost immediate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.