Apple Updates Airport Express (802.11n)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated the Airport Express today:Apple today updated its AirPort Express mobile base station with 802.11n to deliver up to five times the performance and twice the range of the previous model*. Priced at just $99, AirPort Express is the worlds smallest 802.11n-based mobile base station. It can be plugged directly into the wall for wireless Internet connectivity and USB printing at home or easily brought on the road for wireless freedom wherever there is an Internet connection. AirPort Express features AirTunes, which works seamlessly with iTunes to give users a simple and inexpensive way to wirelessly stream iTunes music from a PC or Mac to any room in the house.
As expected, the new Airport Express adds 802.11n networking. The price remains $99 and is available immediately.

Article Link: Apple Updates Airport Express (802.11n)

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
question about this (and I guess about the AEBS and Time Capsule as well) - you can connect a usb printer, but what about a multifunction printer? i.e. if you have a printer/scanner hooked up to an airport express, is the scanning feature networked, or just the printing?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
question about this (and I guess about the AEBS and Time Capsule as well) - you can connect a usb printer, but what about a multifunction printer? i.e. if you have a printer/scanner hooked up to an airport express, is the scanning feature networked, or just the printing?
That's a big no. Just printing (if you can print at all). Plus, you will only really get basic printing capabilities. For instance, if your printer supports a bunch of advanced features like borderless or utilities, you probably won't be able to access them.

At least, that's the way it was when I used USB printer sharing a year or so ago.

phatspider

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2005
Do we think they announced today because they have something bigger/better for tomorrow (iMac/Mini update?)

Fingers crossed!

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Holy crap, US/Canadian price parity!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../RSLID?mco=DCC67681&fnode=home&nplm=MB321AM/A

Condolences to the Aussie chap.

-------------------------------------------------

Just a quick question for those who have the older generation or intend on purchasing this new one, how do you use it? Exactly what is the placement/application. I'm thinking this is a nice addition to the night side table with some discrete speakers. I could also see these in the kitchen instead of a analog radio. Bathroom too?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
That's a big no. Just printing (if you can print at all). Plus, you will only really get basic printing capabilities. For instance, if your printer supports a bunch of advanced features like borderless or utilities, you probably won't be able to access them.

At least, that's the way it was when I used USB printer sharing a year or so ago.
But I have my Brother 640 multi-function connected to my AE and I can use the scanning feature just fine. In fact it scans exactly as it would if I were to do it via usb as does the printing. We have two Macs connected to the AE and use the Brother with it via Leopard, XP and Vista in exactly the same way and it does everything it should.

mdtsuk

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Essex, UK
Products on Mondays now Apple? That's great!! :D
Tuesday, Friday and Now Monday... Where is the predictability in that.

I preferred my weekly Tuesday "the apple store is down!" threads, now things could change at any time, and I wouldn't know... :rolleyes:

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
Extremly good to hear!!!!! if AAPL put the price at 99$, it means that others manufacturer have to drop the price at least to 59$ to keep on fighting for the market

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
This has got to be one of the most important product releases this year for Apple.

And no, I'm not being funny.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Manchester, NH
That will only happen if the all-in-one printer's drivers/software supports networking. Most all-in-ones do not support this.

Probably the easiest way to tell is if your all-in-one has an ethernet and/or wireless built-in. Odds are without that, it won't support networking.

Chansey

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2007
Would this work just as well as my built-in output for surround sound via VLC/dvd player? (5.1)

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
It's only available in the US [edit]Canada and Australia[/edit], not in Europe for example...

However, apple updating the aiport express to 802.11n (draft 2) might be a clue for 802.11n support in a next iPhone revision?

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
I haven't ever seen this asked, can you plug a game system (original Xbox or PS2) into it and use it as a wireless adapter? Pure curiosity, not sure if I would do it or not. Could you hook a NAS up to it via the ethernet port, this would be more like what I would do with it. A NAS and a printer, that would be really nice.

Thanks
Christopher

phatspider

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2005
It's only available in the US, not in Europe for example...

However, apple updating the aiport express to 802.11n (draft 2) might be a clue for 802.11n support in a next iPhone revision?
Given the leaked page was a Swiss page i'm sure Europe will see their pages updated shortly

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
thats odd, just been chatting to apple on their site and the lady seemed to think the express CAN support a hard drive! is that true or was i lied to?

nja247

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
UK
is this just an American up date? uk site not showing any update!!
ooks like they only did North America today. I'm sure the rest of the world will happen very soon.

I ordered one from the UK Educational Store anyhow (saves £7) as I assume the delay in shipping is for the new model as the US store now shows 24 hours versus 1 week. If not they'll sort it out.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Holy crap, US/Canadian price parity!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../RSLID?mco=DCC67681&fnode=home&nplm=MB321AM/A

Condolences to the Aussie chap.
Actually, condolences to you ;)

US $ 99,- = AU $ 105,68. So, if the Aiport Express will be sold in Oz for AU $ 99,-, it will be a US $ 6,38 reduction to the Aussie chap ;)

It might be condolences to us Europeans as well though; as € 99,- = US $ 156,12. If Apple really used price parity, they should sell the Airport Express over here for about € 75,- (= US $ 99,- = € 62,78 + 19% taxes).

I think I'll wait a while and buy it in Sydney instead ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.