Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Meh... I'll just keep my Core 2 Quad Hackintosh as my media center with support for all video codecs and containers... streaming from my Synology NAS.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Ummm....because you can't attach the antenna to your TV? Seriously? That's a complaint?

No, to record (like a TiVO does).

Why buy shows from a store when you can have them automatically recorded for free (without ads)?

----------

Most of us hook the ATV to a Television. I don't know about your setup but our TV set has a tuner in it.

No, for recording. I think this is why I got the lowest-rated comment... major misunderstanding.

Of course, your TV cannot record shows for you. Also, my TVs are old and can't use the current air system.

----------

What would that do to achieve show recording on the Apple TV?

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
[/color]one thing about itunes in the cloud that doesn't make sense on apple tv... If you go to movies or tv shows, it lets you stream whatever you've purchased.

However, if you go to music, it requires you to buy itunes match in order to listen to songs you've purchased. Why? Why can't i stream songs i've purchased (not matched) without itunes match.

this.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Don't know why this got downvoted. One of the main reasons I returned my unopened aTV 3 was lack of NAS support without jailbreaking (also no mkv, avi, DTS, etc support). I broke down and bought a Mac Mini with an attached Blu-Ray drive as OS X can now play Blu-Ray media, and with Plex and my Synology NAS, done with all the jailbreaking days. Best decision I made.

Well, fine, but it's a good deal more expensive than $99, isn't it?

Also, I'm not sure why there should be support for mkv, avi, etc. Oh, unless you're downloading from Pirate Bay.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Just bought an ATV today, coincidentally enough.

Liking it so far, especially as I watch a lot of YouTube content.

Total joke that it's not properly regionalised for the UK market, though. Who cares about the WSJ?

Still, no issues AirPlaying from the BBC iPlayer app.

It works, but not very well. If you look at the BBC logo, it's not centered meaning it's probably not scaled the video correctly. Small issue though.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Well, fine, but it's a good deal more expensive than $99, isn't it?

Also, I'm not sure why there should be support for mkv, avi, etc. Oh, unless you're downloading from Pirate Bay.

Um no. Learn about containers before accusing someone of pirating. MKV was primarily used by Handbrake for encoding DTS, but current Handbrake encodes now support DTS in MP4 containers.

I spent a year digitizing all my DVD's (SD and Blu-Ray), and spent 6 months learning every aspect I could in order to create as lossless as possible encodes for my media system. Unfortunately Apple has limited support, doesn't even support DTS surround sound and the iTunes 1080P files are not nearly as good as my encodes.

So no, I do not pirate, and I do not appreciate the derogatory and ignorant assumption that the only reason for using those codecs and a Mac Mini for a HTMC is for pirating. You would benefit from learning about various containers, differentiation between L3.1, L4.1, etc, and the limitations of the A5 Apple TV system. :)

(might want to start at my comment at #129)

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I wish my new apple tv netflix quality was close to my ps3. I like the UI better on the tv but that's it.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Um no. Learn about containers before accusing someone of pirating. MKV was primarily used by Handbrake for encoding DTS, but current Handbrake encodes now support DTS in MP4 containers.

I spent a year digitizing all my DVD's (SD and Blu-Ray), and spent 6 months learning every aspect I could in order to create as lossless as possible encodes for my media system. Unfortunately Apple has limited support, doesn't even support DTS surround sound and the iTunes 1080P files are not nearly as good as my encodes.

So no, I do not pirate, and I do not appreciate the derogatory and ignorant assumption that the only reason for using those codecs and a Mac Mini for a HTMC is for pirating. You would benefit from learning about various containers, differentiation between L3.1, L4.1, etc, and the limitations of the A5 Apple TV system. :)

(might want to start at my comment at #129)

You wouldn't mind sharing your encode profile, would you?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Still no iTunes album extra support like Gen1 units have? I'll have to try this upgrade out on my Gen2 unit. I've had problems with it losing connection to Home Sharing over time which requires restarting iTunes (while my Gen1 units have no issues).

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
VideoDrive for ATV

I look forward to improved home sharing reliability. Every freaking time I want to watch something I have to go upstairs to restart iTunes. :mad:

BTW: A great way to add videos to your ATV is Videodrive, I've been using it for a while now. On sale at mupromo.com. It doesn't require jailbreaking, so clearly you have to go the conversion route. At first I refused to do that, but the image quality and speed are fine.

Still hoping iTunes 11 will bring a new UI. In any case, all my videos are in iTunes and ATV so I'm ready :)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
You wouldn't mind sharing your encode profile, would you?

Not at all.

I've shared it many times, and I have many differing Handbrake profiles. Some have stated my Blu-Ray profile is a bit over the top in the "Advanced Settings" but as I have a 12-Core current gen Mac Pro with 10GB's RAM, I'd rather use it to its full advantage to get as lossless a Blu-Ray encode as possible (and now with MP4 supporting DTS, no need for MKV containers).

Here is my string for Blu-Ray (I always use anamorphic Loose with modulus 8 for 1920x1080, some question it but having worked with handbrake guys and many others for advice, this has been the best):

b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50: psy-rd=1.5,0.10:bframes=8:ref=8:me=umh:subq=10:trellis=2:analyse=all:merange=32:aq-strength=1.2

NOTE: the "rd-lookahead=50: psy-" should not have a space between the 50: psy but it reads as :p if I don't space it.

Again, that is for Blu-Ray, my SD encodes are much different. There is definitely a noticeable difference, and I gain about 4-5 GBs of space through compression with that string.

As for my other settings, which I keep across encodes:

Video:

Video Codec: H.264 (x264)

FPS: Same as source

Variable Framerate

Video Quality:

Constant Quality RF: varies between 20-18 depending on source

Anamorphic: Loose w/ either modulus 16 (usually for SD encodes) or 8 (Blu-Ray) Keeps the image from being cropped and sized well no matter the media ratio

Audio:

This is a big area for me as I play my media through various devices. iDevices default to the first audio track, the next track I use for my main system, and I may include other tracks such as commentaries.

Track 1: AAC Stereo w/ 192 or 256 Bitrate (for iDevices and stereo only media)
Track 2: Auto Passthru (very important) DTS when available or AC3
Remaining tracks depending on commentaries, etc

Subtitles:
I normally don't use subtitles as they can FUBAR some devices, but feel free to insert an srt file if ya got em and need em

Otherwise, that's about it. I studied, asked many questions with Handbrake developers/experts/etc regarding my advanced settings string, and although some may believe it to be overkill for Blu-Ray encodes, I have the power in my Mac Pro and I'd rather play it safe than regret it.

My advice, study up on the differing settings, read the Handbrake documentation and have some patience if you're new to it as it definitely pays off in the end. Make various encodes of the same file, compare them to the original on your devices, and always save the profile in Handbrake as you work. I digitized about 200 DVD's, copied them over to my NAS and chucked my physical discs. I'll still buy Blu-Ray's as nothing quite compares to them yet, but having encoded copies is a smart decision.

Hope this helps and sorry for the long post. :)

canuckle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2011
bedifferent, this is WONDERFUL info, thanks so much. You just saved me a massive amount of time :)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Meh... I'll just keep my Core 2 Quad Hackintosh as my media center with support for all video codecs and containers... streaming from my Synology NAS.

Exactly. I don't know why some are voting down your comments and other comments in the same vein. People have different preferences, the aTV may work for them, and a more powerful system may work better for others. Doesn't mean either party if wrong (unless you make an erroneous assumption that those using anything other than an aTV are "pirating", which blows my mind). :)

----------

bedifferent, this is WONDERFUL info, thanks so much. You just saved me a massive amount of time :)

Glad I can help, and PM me any time if you have any questions. :)

canuckle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2011
Exactly. I don't know why some are voting down your comments and other comments in the same vein. People have different preferences, the aTV may work for them, and a more powerful system may work better for others. Doesn't mean either party if wrong (unless you make an erroneous assumption that those using anything other than an aTV are "pirating", which blows my mind). :)

----------

Glad I can help, and PM me any time if you have any questions. :)

I just may take you up on that sir, and thank you again. :D

Foxbat46614

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2012
I was hoping that the Podcast watched indicator would be updated automatically like two versions ago. It knows when you've partially watched a Favorite Podcast, but as soon as you finish, it's marked as unwatched again.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Not at all.

I've shared it many times, and I have many differing Handbrake profiles. Some have stated my Blu-Ray profile is a bit over the top in the "Advanced Settings" but as I have a 12-Core current gen Mac Pro with 10GB's RAM, I'd rather use it to its full advantage to get as lossless a Blu-Ray encode as possible (and now with MP4 supporting DTS, no need for MKV containers).

Here is my string for Blu-Ray (I always use anamorphic Loose with modulus 8 for 1920x1080, some question it but having worked with handbrake guys and many others for advice, this has been the best):

NOTE: the "rd-lookahead=50: psy-" should not have a space between the 50: psy but it reads as :p if I don't space it.

Again, that is for Blu-Ray, my SD encodes are much different. There is definitely a noticeable difference, and I gain about 4-5 GBs of space through compression with that string.

As for my other settings, which I keep across encodes:

Video:

Video Codec: H.264 (x264)

FPS: Same as source

Variable Framerate

Video Quality:

Constant Quality RF: varies between 20-18 depending on source

Anamorphic: Loose w/ either modulus 16 (usually for SD encodes) or 8 (Blu-Ray) Keeps the image from being cropped and sized well no matter the media ratio

Audio:

This is a big area for me as I play my media through various devices. iDevices default to the first audio track, the next track I use for my main system, and I may include other tracks such as commentaries.

Track 1: AAC Stereo w/ 192 or 256 Bitrate (for iDevices and stereo only media)
Track 2: Auto Passthru (very important) DTS when available or AC3
Remaining tracks depending on commentaries, etc

Subtitles:
I normally don't use subtitles as they can FUBAR some devices, but feel free to insert an srt file if ya got em and need em

Otherwise, that's about it. I studied, asked many questions with Handbrake developers/experts/etc regarding my advanced settings string, and although some may believe it to be overkill for Blu-Ray encodes, I have the power in my Mac Pro and I'd rather play it safe than regret it.

My advice, study up on the differing settings, read the Handbrake documentation and have some patience if you're new to it as it definitely pays off in the end. Make various encodes of the same file, compare them to the original on your devices, and always save the profile in Handbrake as you work. I digitized about 200 DVD's, copied them over to my NAS and chucked my physical discs. I'll still buy Blu-Ray's as nothing quite compares to them yet, but having encoded copies is a smart decision.

Hope this helps and sorry for the long post. :)

You mentioned blu-ray. What would you recommend for DVD rips? I have my own profile saved, and 80% of the time it churns out pristine files, but the other 20% are totally worthless.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm still getting odd random reboots/restarts during Netflix, listening to podcasts, or streaming movies. Quite annoying tbh.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I updated both my ATV2 and ATV3 and still have the same issue where my podcasts, badge icons do not change after I've watched them. Every week the number grows higher even though I've watched every one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.