Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgworek

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Ha! I live in the us and in order to watch playoff hockey with Game Centre Live, I have to put in a UK proxy (on my firewall) to start the game and then turn it off after the game starts to get good quality.

Let's hope we can get NHL Game Centre Live in the UK without having to change the settings to US.

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Remote App works perfectly again! All of you new UI haters-the new UI is essentially controlled the same way as the old one but is more intuitive to inexperienced users, and although I agree it doesn't look as good, it doesn't look that bad either.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I love AppleTV as well and it does what it's supposed to. Jailbroken is much better though, because with XBMC it's limitless what it can stream. It really is a shame they haven't opened up an app store for it yet. Official HULU and Sling Player would put this box over the top.

Am I the only one who loves the AppleTV here? It does exactly what it claims to do, and very well.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Does this allow us to modify the clutter of useless icons?

The US sports and Netflix icons are redundant for most people outside the US. We don't need those on our screens.

(and yes, I have sent that request to Apple).

I'm hoping for the same (though I doubt it'll happen). Like you I've sent a request.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
3. Ability to stream from NAS type drive thus not requiring your main computer to be on.

I think that ship sailed a long time ago. Apple is trying to make it easier for people, not more complicated. If you want to stream without your computer, setup iTunes Match.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
As much as I love Apple, when it comes to Apple TV, I think they still have the 'hobby' mentality; Roku is a much better device and is years ahead in terms of selection; they really took Apple's model of iOS apps and used it in their 'channel store'; some channels are free, others are one-time, others are subscription based.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
get some medicine for that cough, quit moaning and get using iTunes & handbrake, works beautifully...

agreed i had over 400 moives in avi format converted them all to be used in iTunes in a weekend, ive owned WD media players and i still have an Iomega media player and sure they play any and every format but the user interface on those are pretty boring

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX
hate the new GUI...it freezes or resets all the time now. i hope this fixes it. still wish they'd let you choose which GUI you want. the old normal one or the new visually impaired one. oh...please add hulu. i mean, you can use airplay so why not just add it.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
hate the new GUI...it freezes or resets all the time now. i hope this fixes it. still wish they'd let you choose which GUI you want. the old normal one or the new visually impaired one. oh...please add hulu. i mean, you can use airplay so why not just add it.

can you post a pic of the old one ive only ever had the ATV3?

thanks

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Anyone know if this will help with netfix freezing and going to black screens and then the audio/video loosing sync? It is sad that my smart tv has a netter netflix app than my Apple TV...Apple usually means quality except in this case

So, you know for a fact that these are all Apple and not a Netflix problems?

----------

I can't believe it took this long to get HD previews for movies.

Why would anyone need an HD preview? Don't you normally preview program content? How would HD preview impact program content?

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Btw, does anyone else have the (minor) problem where the white LED light on the (2nd gen) Apple TV goes on after the device falls asleep. It happens randomly, usually a few hours after it falls asleep. There is no HDMI signal, yet the light is on.

I wonder if this update will fix it...

Other than the small whilte LED being on, how does it significantly impact your life to warrant a fix.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Roku is a much better device

Have you actually tried both?

I have an Apple TV, and I have a friend with a Roku. When my friend watched my Apple TV's implementation of Netflix, he immediately switched, dropping his Roku and bought an Apple TV.

The Roku implementation of Netflix is abysmal comparatively. Sure, the Roku box has got more 'apps' (like Hulu) installed, but the apps aren't as polished. And if you don't use Hulu, only Netflix and iTunes, then Apple TV is the way to go.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Apple clearly defines what ATV is and what it does. So why are people bitching about the lack of NAS and other functions after they have bought it?

The problem seems to be with people's ability to read and comprehend. If you want a device with other functions, buy something else...

Right the AppleTV is perfect. Anyone who suggests otherwise by wishing for additional features, UI changes, bug fixes etc. is bitching. Got it... /sarcasm

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
iPhone Streaming

The only thing I really dislike about the ATV is how long it takes to stream videos shot on the iPhone/iPad to it. I wanted to watch an 11 second video of my kid shot on my 4s over airplay on ATV, it took almost 2 minutes to load an 11 second clip. I really can't understand it. I assume it's some sort of video conversion, but I don't know why movies would just be saved in .m4V format on the phone. Also, ironically, you can go under video and stream an HD movie from there and it will start playing almost immediately with 2-3 seconds of buffering time.

And to circumvent issues people will raise:) I have 4 ATV's including the new gen and they are all that way. I have the newest Airport Extreme. It happens with other routers and from all iPhones I have including 4 and 4s. This is an ATV that is 3 feet from the Airport.

Oh, when streaming music from my Mac Mini to the ATV's it occasionally breaks the audio stream as well.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
In the UK, we can't do that with movies either, only TV shows, so you should count yourself lucky, but I imagine it'll come :)
Actually, I'm in Canada and I don't have access to Movies in the Cloud yet either. :( I was just writing from a US-perspective.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
The only thing I really dislike about the ATV is how long it takes to stream videos shot on the iPhone/iPad to it. I wanted to watch an 11 second video of my kid shot on my 4s over airplay on ATV, it took almost 2 minutes to load an 11 second clip. I really can't understand it. I assume it's some sort of video conversion, but I don't know why movies would just be saved in .m4V format on the phone. Also, ironically, you can go under video and stream an HD movie from there and it will start playing almost immediately with 2-3 seconds of buffering time.

And to circumvent issues people will raise:) I have 4 ATV's including the new gen and they are all that way. I have the newest Airport Extreme. It happens with other routers and from all iPhones I have including 4 and 4s. This is an ATV that is 3 feet from the Airport.

Oh, when streaming music from my Mac Mini to the ATV's it occasionally breaks the audio stream as well.

I've wondered about this, It takes ages to stream from iPhone 4s to AppleTV.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Other than the small whilte LED being on, how does it significantly impact your life to warrant a fix.
It doesn't affect my life significantly, but I like to see bugs being fixed. Do you prefer to have bugs in your Apple hardware/software or something?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Have you actually tried both?

I have an Apple TV, and I have a friend with a Roku. When my friend watched my Apple TV's implementation of Netflix, he immediately switched, dropping his Roku and bought an Apple TV.

The Roku implementation of Netflix is abysmal comparatively. Sure, the Roku box has got more 'apps' (like Hulu) installed, but the apps aren't as polished. And if you don't use Hulu, only Netflix and iTunes, then Apple TV is the way to go.

agreed if all your content is in iTunes and you only use Netflix the apple tv is perfect, if your biggest comlpaint is it cant play avi's than there are so many other media player devices some with 1TB drives built right into them for those types of people, I think its great people like things that a NOT apple but its funny people go out of their way to complain about missing features, I more about complaining about things that dont work the way they are advertised.

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
Anyone know if this will help with netfix freezing and going to black screens and then the audio/video loosing sync? It is sad that my smart tv has a netter netflix app than my Apple TV...Apple usually means quality except in this case

Stuttering means your internet connection is so bad that you would be better off using couriers to transmit data for you.

----------

agreed if all your content is in iTunes and you only use Netflix the apple tv is perfect, if your biggest comlpaint is it cant play avi's than there are so many other media player devices some with 1TB drives built right into them for those types of people, I think its great people like things that a NOT apple but its funny people go out of their way to complain about missing features, I more about complaining about things that dont work the way they are advertised.

I have Google TV (it's inside one of Sony's internet TVs and was on sale during Black Friday for 399) and I'm quite happy with it. I'd like to eventually switch to Apple TV but I'd like to wait to see what other updates are down the road. Being able to watch YouTube videos and Netflix on it has been great though. Hopefully the Apple TV will also include a YouTube app.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

have you tried with other iPhones, my iphone 4 does not have this type of issue to airplay my videos and photos i shot

----------

Stuttering means your internet connection is so bad that you would be better off using couriers to transmit data for you.

----------

I have Google TV (it's inside one of Sony's internet TVs and was on sale during Black Friday for 399) and I'm quite happy with it. I'd like to eventually switch to Apple TV but I'd like to wait to see what other updates are down the road. Being able to watch YouTube videos and Netflix on it has been great though. Hopefully the Apple TV will also include a YouTube app.

apple tv does have a youtube app

smp99

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
I'm running optical audio straight to my receiver, but HDMI a+v straight to the tv. And I do use the HDMI, it works fine, but I want the audio to work through the optical out without the tv on...which apparently it can, as you say, but I'm not sure why it won't in my case.

I think you need to check the settings on your TV not the AppleTV.

There may an option to automatically turn on the TV when a HDMI connected device supplied a signal. So there is some communication there. The same is likely true when one of the devices is powered off, the other does so. I have disabled this feature because it was playing havoc with my Harmony.

I just tested your issue - I have optical to AVR and HDMI to Tv. started a song, turned off TV and music continued

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.