Apple Updates Boot Camp With Windows 10 Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2015.

1. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

As a couple of others have mentioned previously, for those who may have missed it, it's quite easy to bypass the version check for Boot Camp 6.0.

1. Download the Boot Camp 6 drivers from a supported Mac using the Download Only function in Apple Software Update. Or find it online somewhere, if it exists.

2. Extract the downloaded file using an application like 7zip

3. Open Command Prompt as an admin and use the cd function to navigate to "C:\*path to wherever you extracted the file from ASU*\AppleBcUpdate\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple"

4. Type msiexec /i BootCamp and hit return. The installer should appear and BootCamp 6.0 will proceed to install.

Confirmed working on Early 2011 17" MacBook Pro.

2. lexR macrumors regular

lexR

i have a MacPro 2009>4.1-5.1 running windows 10 with boot camp 5, it swamps between mac and win10 no problems, everything is working with out issues or driver problems. goes to show if your not on the list an don't have the specific boot camp things can still work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0vfks9opqt6lvf/Capture3.PNG?dl=0

3. lexR macrumors regular

lexR

mine is working fine

4. lexR macrumors regular

lexR

https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3387140

a little bit slower than OSX but works nicely, have yet to install it on a SSD so just running on HDD at the mo.

5. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Disappointing that Apple is not natively allowing Boot Camp support for older machines despite them being completely capable. Honestly shameful :p. Obviously you can still install Windows 10 on older machines but I don't appreciate them putting hurdles to install from Boot Camp.

6. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Please link the download on onedrive.

7. ytsentas macrumors newbie

ytsentas

8. venom600 macrumors 6502a

You're being unreasonable. Nearly every PC built since 2003 can run Windows 10, but manufacturers stop supporting machines after a year or two. Do you honestly think that Dell, Sony, HP or others are seriously going to provide Windows 10 drivers and support to a machine that is more than a year or two old? Of course not. So why are you surprised when Apple does the same thing?

9. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Yeah. You are absolutely correct about this matter.
    I have a four years old Asus PC. After the first year, I never receive any updates from Asus including BIOS update. And driver support is ended. In fact, Asus doesn't even provide some decent versions of driver during the product initial life cycle. I solely solve driver problem and find a good set of drivers best for my machine.
    I guess, why people blame Apple about this matter, is because Windows 10 can run perfectly on some over five years old machines, while Apple itself drop support of them. Plus, iTunes for Windows can run under Windows 7, while snow leopard drops the support of this version. Therefore, Apple may be blamed for two things: software and hardware.
    My two cents. ;)

10. kneel23 macrumors newbie

kneel23

Problem is that audio drivers don't work for anyone unless you have an external sound card. No solutions yet posted anywhere. Reinstalling and trying all possible drivers you can imagine, doesn't fix the issue :\

11. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

It's be nice if Apple added Force Touch trackpad configuration support to Boot Camp. It remembers the Mac settings but only when you restart from OS X, not when cold booting into W10 whereby it reverts to the default settings.