MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated the Dark Sky weather app for the first time since November with improved VoiceOver support and other bug fixes and performance improvements. In addition, Dark Sky complications on the Apple Watch now update more frequently.

Dark-Sky-App-Featured.jpg

The full release notes for Dark Sky version 6.8.6:
• Improved VoiceOver support
• Complications on Apple Watch update more frequently
• Addresses an issue that could prevent the moon phase from updating
• Stability and performance improvements
Apple acquired Dark Sky in March 2020, and while its Android app has since been shut down, it was recently announced that Dark Sky will remain available as an iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch app and on the web until the end of 2022.

Apple's stock Weather app on iOS 15 features a new design with more detailed forecasts, notifications, and many other Dark Sky-like features.

Article Link: Apple Updates Dark Sky Weather App With Apple Watch Improvements and More

Reactions: mainemini

DougieS

macrumors member
May 31, 2019
Was not expecting this, always good to see an update.

Just hope they can sort the slow loading of the precipitation maps soon, it’s quite slow to load in the iOS 15 weather app too

Pirate!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2017
The weather data (aside from the by the minute stuff for rain) is absolute garbage and inaccurate most of the time.
On my phone it’s fine, but my watch keeps defaulting to a location that is about 10 miles from my house with very different weather, so my watch is always wrong, but the phone is usually right. 🤷‍♂️

Dwalls90

Contributor
Feb 5, 2009
i wonder why they haven't rolled this into the normal weather app.

Why hasn’t Apple just absorbed Dark Sky into their Weather app and call it good? I’ve used Dark Sky since it launched, and just can’t accept the less accurate to location forecasting that Weather or Weather Bug apps provide.
They are in iOS 15. Dark Sky is then being shut down before the end of 2022.

Reactions: MisterSavage

TooMuchPhone

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
On my phone it’s fine, but my watch keeps defaulting to a location that is about 10 miles from my house with very different weather, so my watch is always wrong, but the phone is usually right. 🤷‍♂️
Check to see if you have precise location for Apple Watch faces enabled in the privacy settings on your phone and then turn off and turn on the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.