Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I hope this does not go the "iWork"-route... macOS versions of Pages / Keynote / Numbers losing features to be on par with the iOS versions.

Or how about the forced update cycle of iWork: work on a file in a newer version of iWork apps and it will probably not open in an older version of iWorks apps, even if it is a simple WP document in Pages. This can also be used to push macOS updates if you need access to an iWork file that runs in newer iWork that requires newer macOS.

This is actually how I foresee pay-once FCPX becomes subscription-model FCPX. Old version freezes in terms of features and new updates require subscription version features to open files... then macOS updates "break" old version, etc. Unless one leaves the Mac also frozen with OS, etc, the press to go subscription will only get stronger and/or feel forced.

I don't like it myself but I foresee it if this is successful enough in customer acceptance.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
Waiting for the day when macOS integrates with iPad OS.

macOS running on M2 iPad Pro.

50926-100569-macOS-on-iPad-xl.jpg
I think FCP and Logic for iPad show how much better iPadOS pro apps are compared to slapping a desktop OS on a tablet.

Asbow

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2020
FIRST! (Just kidding...2008 throwback). Awesome to have an update. Reminder to be careful...MotionVFX had a notice of plugins that will not work 7 minutes after this post. I'm SURE they aren't alone.
Yeah got that. Not a clever move.

Reactions: AdamJD

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Somehow half baked update. Most new titles aren’t something new, just an updated sample picture. I wished they had rolling credits with icon support. Most new generators aren’t customisable and they look like the wallpapers form the upcoming wwdc. Was looking forward for the adaptable music tracks for an upcoming side project. Colour adjustment looks great though, finally something close to the lightroom interface.

UnbreakableAlex

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2019
I moved to Davinci Resolve since I heard about the subscription plans.

Also I stopped recommending Final Cut to others. Its dead to me now.

I know, the Mac version is not subscription based for the moment, but we all now greedy apple by now.

Switching to Davinci Resolve and Ableton Live in the near future keeps me platform independent. Just for the case apple gets even wilder ideas in the future. I’ll never forget what they did to aperture.

Reactions: TheLunaPark

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I know, the Mac version is not subscription based for the moment, but we all now greedy apple by now.
Do you really believe that if Apple goes all subscription that DaVinci Resolve won’t? Of course they will. Subscriptions suck, but they’re inevitable.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I moved to Davinci Resolve since I heard about the subscription plans.

Also I stopped recommending Final Cut to others. Its dead to me now.

Switching to Davinci Resolve and Ableton Live in the near future keeps me platform independent. Just for the case apple gets even wilder ideas in the future. I’ll never forget what they did to aperture.

Why? Final Cut isn't subscription based. Nor is Logic Pro. It's the stepchildren paired down products for iPad that are subscription based.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
re: subscriptions
they're ok if the price is reasonable
lemme remind you than you use to pay like 300+ bucks every 2-3 years for a new big version anyway
keeping this 50 bucks a year and having constant development and only one version to support is way better

It won't stay at $50 most other subscriptions nearly doubled since 2020. It's gonna be much easier for them to do incremental price increases with the subscription model. Get people hooked then start increasing the price.

hkeely

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
Do you really believe that if Apple goes all subscription that DaVinci Resolve won’t? Of course they will. Subscriptions suck, but they’re inevitable.
Subscriptions don't have to be inevitable. Like Resolve, FCPX has been subsidized by Apple's hardware purchases. Apple used to give away iTunes, Pages, Keynote, etc. because people pay for it by purchasing high-end hardware. Now we still buy high-end hardware, but like a canine that got a taste of meat, Apple has tasted the success of its "services" division and wants to have it both ways.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Or how about the forced update cycle of iWork: work on a file in a newer version of iWork apps and it will probably not open in an older version of iWorks apps, even if it is a simple WP document in Pages. This can also be used to push macOS updates if you need access to an iWork file that runs in newer iWork that requires newer macOS.
The early iWork file format WAS problematic, though. Converting to the new version actually solved some problems.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I totally agree. I’m not a fan of subscriptions, but in this case, at $50 per year, it takes 6 years before you pay the same as the one time $300 fee. Plus being able to cancel. It’s actually saving money.
The MacOS version is $300. I wouldn't expect the iOS version to be valued at the same $300 as a non-subscription price but considerably less.

If the subscription included both the MacOS and iOS versions then it makes a lot more sense as a value proposition. Wouldn't rule this out for the future but it seems to only include the iOS version currently.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The early iWork file format WAS problematic, though. Converting to the new version actually solved some problems.

I'm not talking about the early formats. The last few generations tend to have "tweaks" that basically presses all Macs to be up to date with latest macOS if one is... or if sharing iWork files with peers/clients and anyone happens to use a latest version. Basically, open anything- even a simple word processing doc- and then save it on a "latest" macOS or latest iWork app and everyone else who needs to touch it better be up to date too. That may read like a good thing but latest possible updates can wreak havoc on stability objectives... and/or if anyone in the group has hit their final macOS version in the prior generation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
They did have the Apple II card for the Macintosh and they had GS-OS for the Apple IIgs that was very similar to Mac OS.
Yes, but it was a IIe card, not a IIGS card. And, GS-OS could not run Mac apps. However, GS-OS DOES mirror what I think is happening and will continue to happen. In that the “old” OS will keep getting facelifts to look more like the “new” os (macOS Settings) without any attempt to bring any amount of actual compatibility between the two.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
And replaced with what?
Replaced with nothing. There will come a time in the future where the number of customers that specifically WANT a Mac will drop below Apple’s desire to support it. The final Mac offered for sale will likely be in the form factor of some non-Mac hardware as Apple drives down the cost of producing Macs by just making them from other hardware.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Replaced with nothing. There will come a time in the future where the number of customers that specifically WANT a Mac will drop below Apple’s desire to support it. The final Mac offered for sale will likely be in the form factor of some non-Mac hardware as Apple drives down the cost of producing Macs by just making them from other hardware.
Interesting. As you mentioned earlier, if we see Xcode for iPadOS then that will be a good signal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.