Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Waiting for the day when macOS integrates with iPad OS.

macOS running on M2 iPad Pro.

50926-100569-macOS-on-iPad-xl.jpg

This is inevitable. Macs are gaining touchscreens and iPad now have pointers, they will meet in the middle. Except I feel it will be the other way round with a more advanced version of iPadOS being the OS for both iPad and Mac.

Why has Apple released these apps on iPad? Because they will one day replace the Mac apps.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I moved to Davinci Resolve since I heard about the subscription plans.

Also I stopped recommending Final Cut to others. Its dead to me now.

I know, the Mac version is not subscription based for the moment, but we all now greedy apple by now.

Switching to Davinci Resolve and Ableton Live in the near future keeps me platform independent. Just for the case apple gets even wilder ideas in the future. I’ll never forget what they did to aperture.
Starting to look into Ableton also. I never considered it before, but may as well start getting familiar now, in case I need to suddenly jump ship.

DownUnderDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
I totally agree. I’m not a fan of subscriptions, but in this case, at $50 per year, it takes 6 years before you pay the same as the one time $300 fee. Plus being able to cancel. It’s actually saving money.
I guess my little YouTube channel I use Final Cut for should have ceased to exist in 2018 using that logic as I broke the subscribing is cheaper model we are all supposed to follow on your numbers around then.

Last edited:

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I hope this does not go the "iWork"-route... macOS versions of Pages / Keynote / Numbers losing features to be on par with the iOS versions.
Well, I did notice that the Mac version of FCP got rid of some of the audio effects from prior versions. The Distortion folder doesn't have the Telephone or Television audio distortion effects. It's too bad, because I found them useful in some projects. Unless some of the Logic effects have similar presets built in?

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
re: subscriptions
they're ok if the price is reasonable
lemme remind you than you use to pay like 300+ bucks every 2-3 years for a new big version anyway
keeping this 50 bucks a year and having constant development and only one version to support is way better

Logic is a one time purchase of $199 with free updates

Not $300+ with paid upgrades

Reactions: AppliedMicro

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
*sigh* thanks Apple. But there's still so many missing features.
To the person who disagreed - you think 2 minor features (voice isolation and dupe detection) in 3.5 years is sustainable? In a time when video is everywhere and AI features are exploding? Let's hope for better years ahead with FCP.

Reactions: Minxy and dandeco

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
Awesome to have an update.

No. We should not be grateful to the Apple gods. This is the problem with Final Cut is that there is no communication from the development team and too few updates. Sure there’s some new features, I haven’t updated and tested yet. But it’s so slow with updates and is missing key feature that other software has including the free beginners’ program CapCut and Descript. Should I just wait another year HOPING they will be added next year? I paid £300 for this (student package) and it often feels like Final Cut been abandoned. When I get the time I am seriously thinking of testing out Da Vinci Resolve to see if I can replace it.

Reactions: MacFan782040

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
Good to know. Hopefully Apple will never switch the Mac apps to a subscription model.
Why? If it’s a pro app, people are usually making money from it. Everything else I do in my business I’m paying for monthly or annually. Plus, if it means more frequent updates and features, I’m much happier to pay a subscription. $300 / 5 years is $5/month anyway, and people can buy in/out whenever they want which may even save you money.

fikonhjul

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
Sweden
Reminder to be careful...MotionVFX had a notice of plugins that will not work 7 minutes after this post. I'm SURE they aren't alone.
No, they won't be. According to MotionVFX, this update ends Rosetta for FCP (and possibly also Motion), meaning lots of plugins not ready for Apple Silicon will stop working.

• Wow
Reactions: MacHeritage

Liquidmalibu

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
I know I'm in the minority here, but anyone hear anything about MainStage on the iPad? I assume the platform is dead...

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Love the updates to the Mac versions. Even Compressor had a nice solid update. Can't wait to use these in the near future.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying out the Scene Removal Mask with some footage I shoot. It also doesn't seem to work with cartoon footage, so using it with my YTPs is out of the question (then again, it'd probably be easier to rotoscope cartoon clips than live-action anyways, especially if it uses limited animation).

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Good reason to stay on intel I guess ;)
I actually found out through Neat Video tonight that FCP 10.6.6 and Motion 5.6.4 and newer have stopped supporting older plug-ins period. This already happened on AS Macs but is now hitting Intel ones as well. So if you are running an Intel machine, you will have the issue as well.

Any support for Rosetta plug-ins etc. is gone from Final Cut altogether, from what I understand. Intel or AS doesn't matter.

Asbow

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2020
Didn’t realise auto update was set as default on my MacBook Pro. mO2 now useless.
Luckily on my iMac auto update wasn’t checked. Copied over and everything ok. Now have a copy of Motion and FCP sitting on my NAS for back up.

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Luckily on my iMac auto update wasn’t checked. Copied over and everything ok. Now have a copy of Motion and FCP sitting on my NAS for back up.
Wouldn't you just use Time Machine (or SuperDuper etc. backup)? I've done that a few times with different apps and just go into Time Machine and grab the older app.

Asbow

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2020
Wouldn't you just use Time Machine (or SuperDuper etc. backup)? I've done that a few times with different apps and just go into Time Machine and grab the older app.
You’d have thought so, but I didn’t have a TM backup. Work is backed to NAS, but apps aren’t.

It’s just typical though. A minor update breaks everything.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Well, I did notice that the Mac version of FCP got rid of some of the audio effects from prior versions. The Distortion folder doesn't have the Telephone or Television audio distortion effects. It's too bad, because I found them useful in some projects. Unless some of the Logic effects have similar presets built in?
Well, they're back, but now called "Telephone 2" and "Television 2". Guess they were upgraded into new Universal-compatible versions, and they have some new presets included as well! Typical Apple, temporarily removing a feature and putting it back into an application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.