Apple Updates Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, and iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today updated a number of its video-related Mac apps, including Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, and iMovie. Most of the updates are minor in scale, focusing on bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements.

For all four apps, Apple has added a feature that detects media files that could be incompatible with future versions of macOS after Mojave. In Final Cut Pro and iMovie, these files will be converted to a compatible format, while just highlighted in Motion and Compressor.

[​IMG]

Apple is phasing out support for 32-bit Mac apps after Mojave, which is why this new feature has been introduced. All three software updates also include improved reliability when sharing video to YouTube.

In Final Cut Pro, Apple has also added a number of bug fixes, with the release notes listed below:
    Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, and iMovie are all available from the Mac App Store. iMovie is a free download, while Final Cut Pro is priced at $299, Motion is priced at $49.99, and Compressor is priced at $49.99.

Article Link: Apple Updates Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, and iMovie

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what file formats are incompatible?

3. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

FCPX has a long way to go before it can sit next to Avid again, but I’m loving what Apple have done to it recently!

4. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

May be a stupid question but I didn't know media can be 32 or 64-bit? Like video and audio files? I thought only Applications or extensions mattered with dropping 32-bit support...

5. Jordan Klein macrumors newbie

Am I the only one not being able to download the iMovie update? It only shows me the Launch button in the App Store. However, It does show that it's the new version and contains the release notes.

6. nfl46 macrumors 604

7. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Apple really needs to port FinalCutPro to iOS if they want professionals to use the iPad Pro as a full computer like they’ve been pitching.

The new iPad Pro has power to spare. What’s missing is support for direct access to external storage via USB-C. It’s clear that that’s coming, likely as early as iOS 13 with the Files app redesign. Most of Final Cut’s UI already appears ready for touch targets instead of a cursor. I think it’s a matter of when, not if.

Final Cut is the only reason why I still keep my Mac around.

8. abrantes09 macrumors member

abrantes09

Just updated
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2019 ---
    Final Cut is probably going to release for iOS 13. I don't see why not if the rumours are true about a "different" OS for iPad.

9. konqerror macrumors 6502

10. sos47 macrumors regular

sos47

FCP no 360 support. Very sad. Premiere supports 360 a long time. 360 is more hype then AR i think. You cant even browse 360 in Apple Photos. Hello Apple, wake up

11. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

It's not the filetypes that are 32 or 64 bit, but the frameworks and encoders needed to process them. Apple will remove those in the near future and those files will not be editable with Apple's native media apps. Third party apps might introduce a workaround. But many creators of the affected file types said they will update them to the new Apple standards anyway, so no need to be worried.

12. eatrains macrumors 6502

I really don't think they expect pro editors to use iPads. The iPad Pro is meant for some pro work but not necessarily all. The right tool for the job.

13. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

before starting a rant, at least check if the feature is actually missing or not.

14. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

What, in your opinion, is missing?

I really love Final Cut. It was a tough transition for old users but the pain has been so worth it, with a modern UI and workflow designed for digital files, not tapes. The magnetic timeline makes so much more sense for this type of media. I just wish Final Cut were available for iPad Pro.

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

My main concern is Aperture and how long it will run in future versions of Mac OS. Why Apple has no professional photo software anymore is really beyond me.
    I believe it has to do with QuickTime but I am not sure.
    I second that. For editing movies the screen cannot be big enough. 27” iMac is perfect. Not an iPad... if you must work on the road that’s ok but if you have a choice.

16. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

Yes, nothing beats a full featured workstation with ultrafast I/O and ability to connect proffesional hardware like broadcast monitors and mixing consoles. However, i would like a companion app for FCPX on iPad, like Logic has. I've seen it in action and it really speeds up the workflow.

17. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I disagree. Editing video is a perfect use case for direct manipulation. Picking up and dropping clips, pinching to zoom in and out, adjusting clip lengths, dropping effects and transitions on clips, would all work well with direct manipulation on an iPad screen. The new iPads have been designed to work with an external display so the timeline and all the tools would be on the iPad screen while the preview of the video would be on the large screen.

What’s still missing is direct access to external storage. Even the largest iPad @ 1TB would fall short for some projects and nobody would want to keep multiple libraries on internal iPad storage anyway. I expect that to get corrected in iOS 13.

18. Manzanito macrumors regular

Manzanito

This must be optional, right? I’d hate for fcpx to start converting files that are still supported.

19. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

Try adding a numerical value on a keyframe. Or mask a shot with extreme accuracy. Edit R3Ds. Preview on a Broadcast monitor while all your footage is stored on a RAID. Roundtrip to Resolve and back. Send your audio to Logic. iPad is very limited in terms of ports and connectivity. Besides, if your storage is on a desk, why work on the iPad and not on a computer. iPad would be a great extra control board with sliders and shortcuts, but I don't believe will be easier to edit a film than a computer.

20. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

21. lstewal macrumors newbie

lstewal

Your'e not alone. #MeToo

22. anaudiopro macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

23. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

Could be really nice to be able to use the iPad as a control surface in front of a Mac. I'm always surprised at how little Apple seems to think of the two platforms being used simultaneously...

24. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

I guess Proapp teams have different priorities...

25. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193