Apple Upgrade Program - Delays and Black and Jet Black option

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GetSwole37, Sep 9, 2016.

1. GetSwole37 macrumors member

This was my first time enrolling into this program. I am a little turned off by the comments that when people using this option who were existing program users, did not get an option for these. I actually find this a bit hard to believe since if not mistaken, you actually selected the size, color, then size.. then you would go to the plan options. i am a little worried this may happen next time.

The other thing about this 12 month upgrade plan that stinks is the fact that if you didnt get it in the same billing month, next year there is a possibility that unless you pay that extra month in advance to make 50% of cost, then you really are upgrading at 13 months and not 12. To pay $41 extra for that month to get back to pre-order eligible really starts adding up especially when you have multiple phones in a family. Further more, if you decide not to, and just upgrade say in October next year when you hit 12 months, you are now in position that you will never get it on release but always be a month behind at the very least.

last but not least, I seriously hope that next year the checking isn't as much with the 3rd party. I had all my info on my account and on the app, i still had to reenter all my address and credit card info. wasn't sure why and i even checked earlier in the day to make sure all was okay. I think after the 2 year if i go that route, i will switch over to Next. At least with AT&T Next , you are dealing with Apple and AT&T and not also the bank. that was a total of three parties which may have slowed down the process even further.

2. VandyZ macrumors newbie

My thoughts exactly.

The upgrade only makes sense if you can upgrade as early as possible (12 payments). The longer they make us wait to upgrade, the more we pay off our current phones and still have to give them back. At some point it will make more sense to pay it off and sell it on my own.

I do think Apple short stocked the upgrade program so that they are not having to lose as much on the trade in through their agreement with Citizens Bank.

Next year is going to be worse i would think because of the anticipated full redesign.

3. rockitdog macrumors 68020

So its ok to make 12 payments and then throw it away in favor of a newest a greatest device but 13 payments... whoa, that's just asking too much. That extra $30-40 is really pushing it. o_O

4. VandyZ macrumors newbie

No the $45 in my case is not pushing it. The point is, the terms of the program state that you can upgrade after the device is half paid off. The longer they delay the upgrade, the more advantageous it is for them. I have no idea what their agreement is with Citizens, but upon trade in someone (apple) is on the hook for the other half. They take the phone and refurb or whatever and resell it. I am sure they have all the figures they need to know when its best to accept the upgrade, which is why we are being throttled. Even at 12 months and $500, i would probably be better off paying off and reselling, but there are always uncertainties and risk with doing that.

5. UKPoliticsGuy macrumors regular

The upfront cost contributes to a deduction of the total debt of the phone. So you effectively pay for 12 months.

6. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

I decided to use the upgrade program for the 1st time last night and order placed smoothly. My question is, what happens next year if I decide to just pay the phone off completely in 6 months? Do I need to re-enroll in the upgrade program w/ the credit check and whatnot, or is it "once enrolled always enrolled" and I can just simply place an order under the program next year? I like to keep credit inquiries to a bare minimum. If they'll need to re-verify every year I'll just pay full retail.

7. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Can someone explain this to me?

The iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Jet Black cost me a little over $900.

That's $900 ***** dollars! I thought phones on contract only cost $300.

Now, granted, I got the Plus and 128GB -- but $900?

Now here is where it gets confusing....

I joined the Apple Upgrade Program. I am paying $40.37 a month for the phone for two years.

So, per year, that's $484.44

But I get an upgrade (iPhone 8) in a year. So I take it part of that $900 is for two phones? I would feel much better if that was the case.

Also..

Anyone know if I can pay it off in full day one? It's essentially a bank taking over the loan. Can I pay this off totally and not worry about monthly payments?

If I do that, I take it I won't have to wait to buy next year's redesigned phone?

Somebody who has a grip on this thing please reply with a simplistic answer that an idiot like me can understand.

8. GetSwole37 thread starter macrumors member

Its one reason I chose Apple Upgrade plan over AT&T Next. Next wants to add a "upgrade fee" of $20... for exactly what? just to get money off you. So yes, $30 to $40, and as I mentioned, for me, its double as wife and I got phones, so that is $80 you are talking about.

My bigger issue is think of whats really happening. How many folks end up like this and are willing to pay that extra fee?
    10 people: Apple gets $800
    100 people: Apple gets $8,000
    1000 people: Apple gets $80,000

free money for them.

Sorry, but I did the math, the only way I go 12 months if all the rumors are true about the whole redesign. If it isn't, i rather keep it and sell it after two years for around $400-500 which covers most of year 2 for an Iphone 7 Plus 128gb

9. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

It wasn't too bad upgrading from last years AUP. Other than not being able to get the 7+in black I preferred I still managed to get a reservation for 9am launch for silver 128 7+. I was ready at 3:00am EDT and the app didnt go live until a minute or 2 later and all the blacks were gone. Hopefully next year they'll come out with some other crazy color to take pressure off the blacks and have ship to home option instead of the in store process.

10. GetSwole37 thread starter macrumors member

I am thinking you could still click existing. just not 100% sure.. something to ask at least 2 days before release, the day of, call wait time is at least 1/2 hour. right now i a have been waiting for 1:16 minutes because of this pending order i have. i got two orders but somehow i have a pending order. i want ot double check if that one is sept 16 release date and keeping that or cancelling it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2016 ---
    why werent you able to get the black 7+?

why did you have to have reservation? cant it just be delivered to your house? or is the Apple Upgrade requires for you to go to the store to pick it up the next year and return the phone at the same time?

11. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I chose the Apple Upgrade Program instead of Next for several reasons:

1. Upgrade every year if I choose to.
    2. AppleCare+ included.
    3. Taking that payment (Next) from my cell phone bill makes me 'feel' like I'm paying less.

12. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

You can pay off the loan at any time. It's a loan through Citizen's One...and there's no pre-payment penalty.

You are paying the price of that phone AND for two years of AppleCare+. So your monthly payment is that cost combined spread out over 24 months.

Once you have made 12 payments on your plan, you are eligible to upgrade without any further cost to you. If you would like to upgrade early, you can do so after 6 months...but you must pay the rest of the payments that you have to get you to a 12 month total, or half of the phone cost.

Phones on contract can cost around $300 (depends on the carrier), but when you're on contract, you usually have a larger access fee with your line. For instance. My plan with AT&T is $100 per month. I have two iPhones that are on the Apple plan and I pay $15 per line to access my account for a total of $130 per month. If I did a contract with AT&T...my plan would still be $100 per month, but my access fee per line goes up to $40 per month for a total of $180 per month. I would also pay the $300 (or more) up front to get my new phone. It FEELS like you're only paying $300 for the phone...but with the added access per line, YOU are still paying for your phone.

I pay roughly $200 per month for our phones and service...and I paid NOTHING out of pocket up front (except taxes).

Hope that helps a bit.

13. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I am already in the AUP from last year so when you upgrade you have to make a reservation in store to return the old phone and set up the new one just like i did last year. I'm hoping next year they have a shipping option but doesn't seem likely given how they handled this year.

14. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Bigdog,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer that question. It was a very lengthy reply -- extremely helpful --- and I appreciate it.

One correction I should have made: My plan does not include Apple Care. I went with the lower payments.

So, I can pay the phone off immediately. I take it either the full two year price ($900+) or the one year price ($484)? If I pay off the full price, does that cover next year's phone so no payments for two years? This is where it gets confusing.

Do I get a bill like a credit card statement each month?

15. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

You make the first month's payment, along with all the taxes, immediately upon pickup, so there's no wait time or billing cycle. It starts immediately. Those of us who got the 6s/6s+ on launch day last year all have 12 payments in.

16. VandyZ macrumors newbie

I think for the phone i got last year the carrier price with agreement was 399. That was for 2 years and you are more or less handcuffed and if you want to upgrade you have to buy outright or do some unfavorable trade in.

So for a little more money over 12 months, I get apple care and the supposed ease of upgrading. Its a constant cycle that is almost impossible to say whats makes the most financial sense for your situation. But just looking at my above situation for a 2 year span i would have spent around $1000 with apple and had the newest phone each year or spent $1400 with my carrier and figure out what to do with the old phone. I have known far too many people who have had nightmares with selling phones (ebay, craigslist, etc) that makes me apprehensive.

IMO, if you like having the newest device as early as possible, its a fair deal. When the terms don't pan out, that's when its value to me starts to be unfavorable.

17. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

The Apple payment plan without AppleCare is new this year, so I'm not sure anyone knows. I do know, though, that it does NOT allow for the upgrade after 12 months of payments like the Apple Upgrade Program does.

18. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I don't know that you're able to do the Apple Upgrade Plan without AppleCare+. The fine print states that if you cancel and get a refund on AppleCare+, you forfeit the upgrade part of the payment plan.

From my understanding, you can payoff at anytime. If you want to "pull ahead" for an early upgrade, you payoff the year price to be able to upgrade.

When you first sign up, you have to have a credit card for automatic payments. It must be a credit card. Then when you get home, you can login to your Citizen's One account and change it to a debit card and maybe even a checking account. But the only way to pay the monthly fee is to have an automatic debit. I get a "thank you for your payment" email every month...there are no statements sent out. However that information is available online.

19. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Whoah! Wait a sec!

I can't upgrade to next year's phone with the payment plan WITHOUT Apple Care? Even if I pay off in full before the year is up?

20. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

You have to payoff the entire phone...then it's yours. The only upgrade plan they have has AppleCare+ attached. The other payment plan that they introduced sometime this year does not include an upgrade. It's a simple finance of the cost of the phone at 0% over 24 months just like a carrier payment plan.

21. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Enrolling for the first time my first payment 1 of 12 was made during the preorder.
    This is A Week or two before the iPhone 7 even ships to me
    Next year at this time payment 12 should already be in the banks hand before the Preorder Cycle starts again.
    No 13th payment no problems.

22. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Okay, so let me make sure I have this right...

With the second plan, that does not include Apple Care...

I am actually paying $900 for the phone for one year.

If I pay it off within the year, I just select a new Upgrade plan next year when the iPhone 8 comes out?

23. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I got my phone in October of last year on the Apple Payment Plan. My 12th payment will be taken out next week...making me eligible for upgrade on my and my wife's phones. The nice thing about it is that I should be able to get an appointment in the next couple weeks in store to get what phone I want...the bummer is that I don't get to join in with all you fun crazies at launch day.

If I remember right, this all seemed to happen last year. There was a rush...everyone was frustrated about getting their new phone late...and I walked in around Oct 15 and had a pick of whatever phone I wanted...while others here were still waiting for their shipments. It seems like Apple sends stock to the stores often...and shipments are first come first served.

24. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

If the Apple Care deal is the better one, I can call Apple and see if I can change the Upgrade Plan to the one with Apple Care (if that is all possible)

25. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

The Apple Upgrade Program, which is the plan that started last year, has two options - make 24 payments and you're done, you own the phone. Or, trade in the phone after at least 12 payments for a new one, and start the whole process over again.

The other payment plan that was introduced this year without AppleCare does not allow for the trade in/upgrade after 12 payments. You get to make 24 payments and you own the phone. That's it.