Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandonzar

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
Before you guy's brought this up I was watching the new mobileMe Quicktime movie demonstration! He has the new iphone and i thought then, that their was a strange Yellow ness, Sepiad Glow from the screen. :eek::apple::mad:

One More Reason Not to waist £400!!! on V2 (Pay&Go)..

So let me get this straight, you are using a video of a 3G iphone display as evidence of an inferior screen on the new iphone? :rolleyes: Video doesn't reproduce the same quality as you would see in person, hence most of the commercials that show a device with a screen have a little disclaimer at the bottom that says "screen image simulated" or something to that effect. As several others have said, this thread was founded on poor research and speculation. The iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPhone 3G all have the same screen! The problems with the original iPod Touch screen weren't hardware based and it works great now.

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
Ok, so say you buy an iphone 3g, and then a few months later, a higher-end 3g model with aluminum back and all the bells and whistles comes out. Do you think we will be able to sell our iphone 3g's for a decent amount in a few months? I'd really like to get one, since I have waited this long to get an iphone, but I don't want to wait months and months longer for a high-end version that is just pure speculation at this point...

apple wouldn't do that, they may come out with a bigger 32 gb version in the next year as well as some updates but I don't see them making any changes to the hardware anytime soon.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Look at how people in this thread are reacting already from baseless speculation.... a brief online spec listing and a comparison from an article that's nearly a year old and was from right at the launch of the iPod touch, which has since been fixed.... seriously... do some research before you post up something like this to get people in a frenzy...

I agree. We don't even know anything yet and people are already crapping themselves.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Seriously, I'm considering not coming here till after 3g is launched. These rampant assumptions about everything are ridiculous.

Steve said "Same gorgeous screen". That's good enough for me.

And what's with people and the plastic? Plastic needs to be at least on the bottom. I'm happy about a non 2-toned look myself. SKIN the darned thing!

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Seriously, I'm considering not coming here till after 3g is launched. These rampant assumptions about everything are ridiculous.

Steve said "Same gorgeous screen". That's good enough for me.

And what's with people and the plastic? Plastic needs to be at least on the bottom. I'm happy about a non 2-toned look myself. SKIN the darned thing!

Well said!
This isn't the only doom and gloom about the new iphone thread on the forum.:(

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
No proof, as stated in the thread title. Just speculation / opinion.

For future reference:

proof
–noun
1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.
2. anything serving as such evidence: What proof do you have?
3. the act of testing or making trial of anything; test; trial: to put a thing to the proof.
4. the establishment of the truth of anything; demonstration.

===============================================

o·pin·ion Audio Help [uh-pin-yuhn]
–noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Before you guy's brought this up I was watching the new mobileMe Quicktime movie demonstration! He has the new iphone and i thought then, that their was a strange Yellow ness, Sepiad Glow from the screen. :eek::apple::mad:

One More Reason Not to waist £400!!! on V2 (Pay&Go)..

Do you not realize that studio lights are used and various post processing techniques are done on those videos? It's not going to be a 100% accurate representation of what the actual device looks like. Please never again use an online video on which to base your thoughts about a yet-to-be-released product. If an inferior screen was such an issue on the iPhone 3G, I'm pretty sure the various blogs that have posted their hands-on experiences with it would have ripped it to shreds. They haven't.

Everyone needs to relax and stop trying to invent reasons to hate the new iPhone when we still have 3 weeks left before anyone can get their hands on one. What's with the hate anyway? Are people mad that it didn't include every aspect of every outlandish rumor that existed prior to the announcement?

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
No proof, as stated in the thread title. Just speculation / opinion.

Not even that, but ignorance, since we already have proof that it is not the case, from someone who actually held an iPhone 3G and an old iPhone next to eachother.

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
ok, its only 3 pixels! Its not that big of a deal. No body will notice the difference unless they get a microscope and the touch, old iphone and the iphone 3G all next to each other and find one different thing. It will not make a huge difference, if any. So just use the device and recognise its good things, not the bad.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Well, since I've never actually seen video on an iphone I wouldnt see the difference from my ipod touch.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
yeah apple already addressed this issue with a firmware upgrade. I remember everyone making a big deal about this when it first came up. However, the screens are the same. And as someone said before, it makes no sense for apple to produce two different quality same sized screens to try and make something cheaper. It's more efficient to use the same screens for 2 products.

On another topic how can people say Apple switching to a plastic back is a step back in quality? If anything it's a step UP in quality for mere fact of reception quality ALONE.

I think people don't understand that both apple and att are both taking an initial hit in profits (some reports say att is taking the biggest hit by subsidizing the cost of the iphone and wont see a profit from it till 2010). The point is to get more users to buy the product.
Cost of components from a year ago will obviously be cheaper now, and if apple is cutting costs anywhere then it's obvious that they're cutting it in pack ins with the iphone..smaller power plug lack and lack of dock.

None of this is new this is how the ipod price was reduced. They switch out included docks, sourcing their clickwheels internally rather than externally through synaptics....and there's already evidence of the iphone going that route as well.

Seriously people...take a moment and just think rationally

The screen problem was not addressed with a firmware update. I had 5 defective phones ranging from firmware 1.1.1 to 1.1.4. The latest defective screens I have seen were last month when I purchased an iPod touch from Apple.com which also had the negative glare of the early iPod touches.

xploit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
The new 3G might be less at the counter but your still actually gonna pay more for it. For that your getting 3G where available and GPS in exchange for cheaper materials and less accessories (I know it's just a dock and nicer wall plug but DETAILS DETAILS) and yet everyone says that Apple is right on with this?

X-

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
i think people are equating the 199 price with "cheap" ..remember these are subsidized so the real sellling price is like 400-450...and the component costs came down...i think you gotta step back and think about it more than the initial sticker shock

Read this article and you will see that Apple has already reduced the manufacturing cost. I'm not sure they would reduce the quality of the display when they are already making more money off the phone. They get the same price as they did before because AT&T is paying them the the $399 under the new contract.
I don't believe reducing quality is in Apples genes.

https://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/06/16/iphone-3g-manufacturing-cost-of-100/

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Apple did add 3G and GPS for the same price, they had to cut costs elsewhere...
You totally don't understand the concept of "economy of scale", do you?

The switch from metal to plastic was more about cost savings than anything else
Wow I didn't realise you were an RF engineer, who's magically made aluminium not block radio signals.

you can bet the screen was swapped for cheapness
Yes, I can bet. And I believe I'd win. The *fact* is that there is no one holy screen - parts are sourced from various manufacturers during production runs. Not even the same part was used all the way throught the first generation iPhone production, and they may use different parts/vendors during the production of this new generation iPhone as well. That may be due to costs, or ability of a vendor to meet quantities needed by various deadlines, or whatever, but Apple did *not* just 'cheap out' on the screen as you claim.

Again this route only makes sense if a new high end model is in the works.
Oh, so you're not an engineer, you're an *analyst*, with fact-based research to back up your assumptions?

Otherwise this might become a fatal mistake for apple and their cell phone ambitions.
:eek: somebody email sjobs@apple.com and tell him that some anonymous nobody on a forum has identified a fatal mistake in his cunning plan!

xploit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
You totally don't understand the concept of "economy of scale", do you?

Wow I didn't realise you were an RF engineer, who's magically made aluminium not block radio signals.

Yes, I can bet. And I believe I'd win. The *fact* is that there is no one holy screen - parts are sourced from various manufacturers during production runs. Not even the same part was used all the way throught the first generation iPhone production, and they may use different parts/vendors during the production of this new generation iPhone as well. That may be due to costs, or ability of a vendor to meet quantities needed by various deadlines, or whatever, but Apple did *not* just 'cheap out' on the screen as you claim.

Oh, so you're not an engineer, you're an *analyst*, with fact-based research to back up your assumptions?

:eek: somebody email sjobs@apple.com and tell him that some anonymous nobody on a forum has identified a fatal mistake in his cunning plan!

I NEVER HAD RECEPTION PROBLEMS WITH MY iPHONE and I NEVER HEARD OF ANY BIG COMPLAINTS ON THIS ISSUE. PLUS YOU ONLY NEED PLASTIC BY THE ANTENNAS WHICH ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PHONE SMART GUY. ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO PUT ANTENNAS BY YOUR EAR THEREFORE GOING TO PLASTIC WAS PURELY COST SAVINGS. I dont have to be an engineer to see that this product has been cheapened up but maybe you do. Im glad you can finaly afford one but lets call it like it is. BUDGET!

X-

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I NEVER HAD RECEPTION PROBLEMS WITH MY iPHONE and I NEVER HEARD OF ANY BIG COMPLAINTS ON THIS ISSUE. PLUS YOU ONLY NEED PLASTIC BY THE ANTENNAS WHICH ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PHONE SMART GUY. ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO PUT ANTENNAS BY YOUR EAR THEREFORE GOING TO PLASTIC WAS PURELY COST SAVINGS. I dont have to be an engineer to see that this product has been cheapened up but maybe you do. Im glad you can finaly afford one but lets call it like it is. BUDGET!

X-

:rolleyes:
then don't buy one.

ripkord

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland

X-

Theres a key between shift and tab.

PRESS IT

LifeCoach

macrumors member
May 19, 2006

X-

All I have taken from this thread is that this poster is extremely annoying.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
I NEVER HAD RECEPTION PROBLEMS WITH MY iPHONE
So, your experiences are the be-all, end-all of signal testing?

I NEVER HEARD OF ANY BIG COMPLAINTS ON THIS ISSUE.
I didn't realise Apple was supposed to keep you in the loop on their feedback and testing results.

YOU ONLY NEED PLASTIC BY THE ANTENNAS
Not necessarily. Radio signals don't travel in a straight line, otherwise you'd have to 'point' your phone at the tower in order to make a call. Signal-reflective elements near an antenna have a profound effect on how it functions. I've designed and built antennas. Have you?

WHICH ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PHONE
So, you've dissected an iPhone 3G and know all the component locations? Where, exactly is the GPS antenna? The GPRS/EDGE antenna? The GSM antenna? Do you know that they aren't all the same thing? Antennas have to be tuned for specific frequency bands, and with the phone transmitting and receiving on 850/900/1800/1900/2100 MHz plus the GPS receiving antenna in the 1.2 - 1.5 GHz range there's a lot going on antenna-wise, which brings me to....

ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO PUT ANTENNAS BY YOUR EAR
Whether a transmitting antenna is at the top or bottom of the phone is almost negligible with regards to RF exposure for your head. But even so, the GPS antenna is a RECEIVING antenna only, and in that frequency range is highly sensitive to signal blockage, so RF transparency of the case near the top would be important to make that work well.

Im glad you can finaly afford one
You need to learn to not speak in front of your betters, child! Don't presume to know what I can and cannot afford.

Lie.

xploit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
So, your experiences are the be-all, end-all of signal testing?

I didn't realise Apple was supposed to keep you in the loop on their feedback and testing results.

Not necessarily. Radio signals don't travel in a straight line, otherwise you'd have to 'point' your phone at the tower in order to make a call. Signal-reflective elements near an antenna have a profound effect on how it functions. I've designed and built antennas. Have you?

So, you've dissected an iPhone 3G and know all the component locations? Where, exactly is the GPS antenna? The GPRS/EDGE antenna? The GSM antenna? Do you know that they aren't all the same thing? Antennas have to be tuned for specific frequency bands, and with the phone transmitting and receiving on 850/900/1800/1900/2100 MHz plus the GPS receiving antenna in the 1.2 - 1.5 GHz range there's a lot going on antenna-wise, which brings me to....

Whether a transmitting antenna is at the top or bottom of the phone is almost negligible with regards to RF exposure for your head. But even so, the GPS antenna is a RECEIVING antenna only, and in that frequency range is highly sensitive to signal blockage, so RF transparency of the case near the top would be important to make that work well.

You need to learn to not speak in front of your betters, child! Don't presume to know what I can and cannot afford.

Lie.

The only antenna you may have designed is a coat hanger attached to a transistor radio. PLease. If you really believe that Apple got rid of aluminum for anything other than cost savings then you are not only BUDGET yourself but also a fool. Either way enjoy the 3G! I have an original, I think it's a much better product and I also think that Apple has clearly cheapened this new iPhone. Should a high end model come out in the very near future then I will be back in favor of it.

I am not just an iphone user I am also a stock holder and even though I have ripped on this new 3G I do think that ultimately it's going to make apple more sales and more money and while that IS great news for Apple as a business and as an investment, for me as a consumer, I liked apple to take the road less traveled. I believe that without a higher end model of the iPhone that Apple has departed from their traditional business model of making high end quality products at different price points. To make only one version of the iPhone and bastardize it they way they did with this "new" model defies logic.

X-

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA

X-
You heard it here ... the iPhone 3G is CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP!

However, the durability and signal reception will be improved greatly if you trade out the CHEEP CHEEP plastic for a 24k Gold case. Only 799.95 British pounds (roughly $1560 US). I'm sure that X will be first in line to buy one of these ...

itouchgold.jpg

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
The only antenna you may have designed is a coat hanger attached to a transistor radio.
:mad: I'm not going to waste my time disclosing personal information to prove you wrong, but this, like everything else you write, is a LIE.

you are not only BUDGET yourself but also a fool.
Strike two.

To make only one version of the iPhone and bastardize it they way they did with this "new" model defies logic.
...which illustrates the difference between those people who run a successful company (Apple), and an anonymous, crying nobody on the internet.

xploit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
You heard it here ... the iPhone 3G is CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP!

However, the durability and signal reception will be improved greatly if you trade out the CHEEP CHEEP plastic for a 24k Gold case. Only 799.95 British pounds (roughly $1560 US). I'm sure that X will be first in line to buy one of these ...

itouchgold.jpg

OK you know what? Lets scrap the idea that the nice aluminum back was swapped or anything other than signal quality. Fine. There is still no excuse to go with cheap glossy plastic. Well except that the Asian market views high gloss on cell phones as more desirable. They could of made the plastic much better in both texture and appearance. Go hold the Samsung/Bang and Olufsen Serene in your hand. It is encased in plastic that has a rich texture that feels more like a fine leather and is very resistant to scratches. Going with this cheap looking high gloss was only to maximize sales and profits. I must be battling with first time iphone buyers as this is remedial to most original owners.

X-

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
OK you know what? Lets scrap the idea that the nice aluminum back was swapped or anything other than signal quality. Fine. There is still no excuse to go with cheap glossy plastic. Well except that the Asian market views high gloss on cell phones as more desirable. They could of made the plastic much better in both texture and appearance. Go hold the Samsung/Bang and Olufsen Serene in your hand. It is encased in plastic that has a rich texture that feels more like a fine leather and is very resistant to scratches. Going with this cheap looking high gloss was only to maximize sales and profits. I must be battling with first time iphone buyers as this is remedial to most original owners.

X-

Have you used a 3G iPhone?

Are you sure it scratches as much as you think it does? Anyways its better than the soft Al which dents pretty easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.