Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Does this mean when it becomes available in Canada before June that your Vision Pro will work with your Canadian Apple ID? Or would you need to buy a new Vision Pro in Canada?

This is my question too. Because if it’ll work with a foreign Apple ID eventually, it’s not a big deal. Particularly for the countries like UK/Canada/etc. that are suppose to be seeing it in a few months anyway.

Yeah, my guess is the hardware will be fine, but a launch in additional countries will allow those Apple IDs to work.

If it is just a few months away I'll probably just wait. Big part of what I wanted to use it for was media / TV+ content. This would really defeat the purpose right now.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Why "oh dear"?

Rest assured that there are millions of people around the world who do not reside in the US, do not have a US address, do not have a US bank account or credit/debit card, but who have been successfully working "with" Apple's geographical restrictions for many years.

Your pity is ill directed. Save it for those who truly deserve it.
Let me guess, those who are doing so are doing it by illegal or if not illegal, wrongful means.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shirasaki

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I already bought it and my friend will bring it here from the states later in the spring, I live in Sweden.
So technically what will work and wont work??

Your friend will thank you very much for your very generous gift of a new Vpro.

Need another friend??? ;)

More seriously: I suspect it will work just fine. Else, there's always VPN options, etc until Apple can catch it all up with the demands for buyers in places beyond only North America. Apple is likely already long since on it. They like money... and not just dollars. If someone on Mars wants one and has something Apple can convert to even more cash for vault #89, Vpro will support Martian ASAP.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

For international customers who are thinking of purchasing Apple Vision Pro in the United States and using it in their own country, Apple has cautioned that they will be faced with several limitations when attempting to use the device.

Apple-Vision-Pro-Dual-Loop-Band-Teal-Feature.jpg

According to a FAQ on Apple's Vision Pro pre-order page on its online store, the experience will differ from a U.S.-based customer in the following ways:
  • Apple Vision Pro only supports English (U.S.) for language and typing and English for Siri and Dictation.
  • App Store requires an Apple ID with region set to the U.S.
  • Purchases on Apple Music and TV app require an Apple ID with region set to the U.S.
  • For customers with vision correction needs, ZEISS will only accept vision prescriptions written by U.S. eye care professionals, and will only ship to U.S. locations.
  • Customers may not be able to access certain apps, features, or content due to licensing or other restrictions in those countries or regions.
  • Apple Support is only available in the U.S.
Apple says that the spatial computing headset is designed for customers in the U.S. to use at home, at work, and while traveling. "We look forward to bringing Apple Vision Pro to more countries later this year," notes the company.

While orders are limited to the United States for the time being, Apple is likely to launch the Vision Pro headset outside the U.S. before WWDC 2024 in June, with Canada and the United Kingdom tipped as the first two other countries in which the headset will be available.

The Vision Pro will launch on Friday, February 2, which is when pre-orders will be delivered to U.S. customers.

Article Link: Apple Vision Pro App Store, Apple Music, and TV App Require US Apple ID

Luckily these factors were not a hinderance for us.

The biggest problem I faced was the "Billing address' of my credit card - but I got through it by putting in our USA address, and the guys at Visa figured this out for approval.

Soon enough it will be available in Canada as well, I realize, but I felt it was worthwhile to get into these right away :)

It's a great chance to check out this technology - such fun!

SamtheNinjago

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
Luckily these factors were not a hinderance for us.

The biggest problem I faced was the "Billing address' of my credit card - but I got through it by putting in our USA address, and the guys at Visa figured this out for approval.

Soon enough it will be available in Canada as well, I realize, but I felt it was worthwhile to get into these right away :)

It's a great chance to check out this technology - such fun!
I used the web and put in my Canadian Apple ID and Canadian Credit Card and it seemed to work fine.

I’m not sure if I’m going to cancel or not, but I mostly look at it as pre-ordering for the Canadian launch.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I hate to say it and I know this isnt the most popular take in here...

But it's only released in USA. Theres a good reason why. It's only supported in USA. The warranty only applies in USA.

so...

W A I T !!!!! It will come to other countries.

Im in the UK and have very little interest in this anyway certainly not the V1.0 device at the eye watering price it is set at.... but certainly would only consider such a thing if and when it's officially released here.

Why are people so keen to get their hands on one when should it develop a fault and you arent in the USA to get it fixed.... what do you do?? on a $3,500 product? Its a VERY expensive paperweight.

SamtheNinjago

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
I wouldn’t be buying one from Europe, but many people live less than 2 hours drive to a US Apple Store and many are under 1 hour. Hell, many people around the world don’t live as close to their own domestic stores.

Reactions: sean+mac

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
So will it work during travel at least? Seems like plane trips are a good use case.

Yes - I think it will - First start with a USA based Apple ID. Then download some movies and watch them on the plane.

If you want to use it for doing work on a laptop or whatever - it should function just fine. All you need is a USA Apple ID and that's easy for anyone to get. Some folks have both Canadian and USA Apple ID and happen to visit USA a fair bit spending money in USA and eating USA food etc. It's good for the economy I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This is my question too. Because if it’ll work with a foreign Apple ID eventually, it’s not a big deal. Particularly for the countries like UK/Canada/etc. that are suppose to be seeing it in a few months anyway.

It will be fine - at that time in the future, just switch to your Canadian Apple ID. This is common sense - don't worry. If you break it and need repairs - that might need a trip to USA let's say possibly - but so what.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Huh? nothing Illegal about buying a product in USA is there?

A positive mental attitude is a great place to start before posting like that.
It is if the person does not live in the US. Apple pre-order states that a US Apple ID is needed. If people are therefore using VPN's to make it look like they are living or from the US so they can bypass the restrictions placed on ordering then it's fraud because they are fraudulently representing themselves as being somewhere where they are not, and fraud is illegal. But this type of thing is for another topic on another day. It is not to be discussed any further in here as it's off topic.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
No need for VPN. I have been using an US Apple ID in Germany since the iPod Video days.

Also, Giftcards you can just buy on Amazon.com (even with your foreign Amazon account). Been buying Hulu credit this way for years
You can buy US Apple gift-cards from apple store app with non-US credit/debit card.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I hate to say it and I know this isnt the most popular take in here...

But it's only released in USA. Theres a good reason why. It's only supported in USA. The warranty only applies in USA.

so...

W A I T !!!!! It will come to other countries.

Im in the UK and have very little interest in this anyway certainly not the V1.0 device at the eye watering price it is set at.... but certainly would only consider such a thing if and when it's officially released here.

Why are people so keen to get their hands on one when should it develop a fault and you arent in the USA to get it fixed.... what do you do?? on a $3,500 product? Its a VERY expensive paperweight.

Well, I flew to Boston in 2007 to get the original iPhone while visiting my friend. It blew my mind.

I ended up becoming an app developer and I did a lot of cool things because of it.

Back in 1980 I "fooled" my parents into buying an Apple IIe and Hayes 300 Baud Modem. I told my mom she could keep her recipes on it. I told my dad he could do his accounting on it. "Lotus 1-2-3" spreadsheet maybe? Anyways this changed my life at age 12 or 13 or whatever. Life Changing.

All the negative ninnies out there take note! You might influence someone in a positive way by getting the latest technology and showing it to them! You only live once. You will have a chance maybe to realize something that 90% of people will not have the ability or imagination to have foreseen without trying out the technology first hand.

Yes it costs a fairly big chunk money - but no it's not garbage or overpriced. Any ladies have a Prada purse for $7000.00? Anyone have a carbon fibre road bike for $5000.00 or more? Too many people are expressing concern about the price tag. Do they also whine about the price of a Porsche 911?

priva28

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
I'll be in the US when it releases so I got an 8am pickup in Union Square! I'm using an Australian Apple ID though so I worry some things might not work. I think I'll be able to get around the App Store thing pretty easily by just creating a US Apple ID then signing onto specifically the App Store with just that (seems like other apple devices let you have seperate iCloud and app store logins). I hope Apple Music and TV+ will work with my aus account though. We'll see how it goes...

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
It is if the person does not live in the US. Apple pre-order states that a US Apple ID is needed. If people are therefore using VPN's to make it look like they are living or from the US so they can bypass the restrictions placed on ordering then it's fraud because they are fraudulently representing themselves as being somewhere where they are not, and fraud is illegal. But this type of thing is for another topic on another day. It is not to be discussed any further in here as it's off topic.

Nonsense. I am a Canadian citizen. I have a US Apple ID. I have a USA mailing address. I live wherever my boots take me and I am allowed to live in USA for up to 6 months in any 365 day period. My address could be the Ritz Hotel or Motel 6 or houses I own. No "VPN" needed! I'm in Canada - but will come in February to USA. So why is this fraud? It's certainly not fraud! Shame on you.

What makes you the judge of this fraud stuff?

Last edited:

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Your friend will thank you very much for your very generous gift of a new Vpro.

Need another friend??? ;)

More seriously: I suspect it will work just fine. Else, there's always VPN options, etc until Apple can catch it all up with the demands for buyers in places beyond only North America. Apple is likely already long since on it. They like money... and not just dollars. If someone on Mars wants one and has something Apple can convert to even more cash for vault #89, Vpro will support Martian ASAP.
Apple gives a flying f*ck unless it's financial sh*t like Apple Card, Apple Cash, etc, but for those you need USA SSN.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
That's total bs, as I said before Apple gives a flying f*ck unless it's about financial sh*t like Apple Card, Apple Cash, etc, but to activate/use those you need USA SSN (which most of foreigners don't have except some foreign students or random tourists). You don't need VPN for US App Store or other services.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Well, I flew to Boston in 2007 to get the original iPhone while visiting my friend. It blew my mind.

I ended up becoming an app developer and I did a lot of cool things because of it.

Back in 1980 I "fooled" my parents into buying an Apple IIe and Hayes 300 Baud Modem. I told my mom she could keep her recipes on it. I told my dad he could do his accounting on it. "Lotus 1-2-3" spreadsheet maybe? Anyways this changed my life at age 12 or 13 or whatever. Life Changing.

All the negative ninnies out there take note! You might influence someone in a positive way by getting the latest technology and showing it to them! You only live once. You will have a chance maybe to realize something that 90% of people will not have the ability or imagination to have foreseen without trying out the technology first hand.

Yes it costs a fairly big chunk money - but no it's not garbage or overpriced. Any ladies have a Prada purse for $7000.00? Anyone have a carbon fibre road bike for $5000.00 or more? Too many people are expressing concern about the price tag. Do they also whine about the price of a Porsche 911?
its nothing to do with being negative.
What you say is true of course but my point is the logistics of purchasing and exporting a product to a country where it is not yet officially released..

... and the subsequent significant issues you will face around warranty repairs/replacements should that be an issue which... for a version 1.0 device... there are bound to be some.

Early adoption.. which is what you are talking about.. is fine of course.
But not if the product isnt available in your country yet - the risk is huge.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
More reason why we should be able to sideload and not be locked down to Apple’s ********

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
So while it's easy to work around those limitations and create a US Apple ID and top it up with gift cards, I still wonder: why? What could the reason possibly be?

This is the first time Apple releases hardware that is country locked (except the first iPhone). When the first HomePod came out, it wasn't locked to US Apple Music. Yet for Vision Pro they put big restrictions in place for App Store, Apple Music and TV+.

Any guesses as to... WHY?? What do they gain from that except disgruntled potential customers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.