Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Realizing the Apple Vision Pro headset's "ideal form" could take four successive generations of the device, some people in Apple's Vision Products Group believe. That's according to well-connected Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman.

Apple-Vision-Pro-at-Steve-Jobs-Theater.jpeg

Writing in his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman says the feeling amongst some of the team working on Apple's headset is that there is much work to do before the device can be considered refined enough for customers to use on a day-to-day basis.

While it's not clear what Apple's development team consider to be the device's "ideal form," it's easy enough to take cues from some early adopters, whose issues with the first-generation device have extended to both the hardware and the software.

Many Vision Pro users feel the headset itself is too heavy and unwieldy for extended use, making generational miniaturization a crucial touchstone for improvement. Other criticisms have included poor battery life, not enough dedicated apps, and a preponderance of bugs in visionOS.

If Apple's team can resolve those issues over four generations – similar to the progression of the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch – Gurman's take is that the Vision Pro could eventually replace the iPad.

Apple has had "mixed results" in attempting to position the iPad as more of a Mac replacement, Gurman says. Despite Apple's efforts to make it a multitasking device with features like Stage Manager, the iPad has struggled to become a true productivity workhorse like the Mac, and now sits in a limbo amongst Apple's other offerings. "The device lost its original purpose and has become a more confusing piece of Apple's product portfolio," writes Gurman.

As for Vision Pro, which starts at $3,500, "it's going to take some hardware upgrades, a slew of software updates, and far better support from app developers and content makers to actually make the headset the iPad replacement that it's capable of being," adds Gurman. "Until then, the Vision Pro is essentially a prototype — just one where you have to pay Apple for the privilege of testing it out."

Article Link: Apple Vision Pro Could Take Four Generations to Reach 'Ideal Form'

Last edited:

THE VATICANTS

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2023
The iPad could have been a masterpiece if it ran Mac OS. It has 20 versions out there and still it's just a large iPhone. I use mine for flying and that's about it. Also run a pretty big YouTube review channel and not one time, ever, would I have even considered doing real music production or film editing on the iPad over my MacBook Pro. People say "well if you put macOS on iPad it'll run into Mac sales....so WHAT? IT GOES IN THE SAME POCKET, who cares, let it.
The iPad is, has been and always will be held back from any full potential as long as it runs a glorified iPhone OS. I don't even see a difference between just having a iPad Air vs a pro. Ah, yes, the camera ...which is still **** on both...

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
of course. iPhone didn't get good until 4/4S (multitasking wasn't a thing on iPhone until iPhone 4 lol)

the hardware inside the VP is amazing tech but it's 1st gen product. Apple need to shrink it down and reduce the weight. Battery life needs to improve significantly.

software is also gonna need a few major releases to get it in a good state.

that's why I'm not buying a headset until we're a good few gens in.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Worst, a large iPod.
remember when everyone said the iPad was just a big iPod touch? Someone said that to me in the apple store at launch when i was buying my OG model.

in a way it is but there is a lot of use for iPad over the touch lmao. I do wish they'd make more use of the hardware and make the OS more advanced.

Last edited:

Kazgarth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2020
The iPad could have been a masterpiece if it ran Mac OS. It has 20 versions out there and still it's just a large iPhone. I use mine for flying and that's about it. Also run a pretty big YouTube review channel and not one time, ever, would I have even considered doing real music production or film editing on the iPad over my MacBook Pro. People say "well if you put macOS on iPad it'll run into Mac sales....so WHAT? IT GOES IN THE SAME POCKET, who cares, let it.
The iPad is, has been and always will be held back from any full potential as long as it runs a glorified iPhone OS. I don't even see a difference between just having a iPad Air vs a pro. Ah, yes, the camera ...which is still **** on both...
What's the point of buying iPad instead of MacBook if both can run macOS.
iPad is a dying product segment, will still have its niche market (kids & non-tech savvy people) due to its simplfied OS.

Vision Pro will replace your iPad as coach/bed computer.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I’m just looking forward to a couple decades from now when they can shrink most of the technology in that thing into something the size of some contact lenses.
contact lenses is the end goal for sure but it seems so far away...like how does that even work? how does it display anything your eye can focus on and how is it powered? contacts need to be soft and flexible so how can you put any kind of tech in that? your eye is natural moist so how do you get electricals functioning in it?

yeah maybe in a couple decades. we'll see the tech packed into a basic pair of glasses. even that feels like it's far away. i'm curious to see how apple can shrink the hardware down to fit into a slim glasses style product. i saw a concept render of such a thing and though yeah that's where this is heading. it's just going to take a long time. processor shrinks are hitting a wall so i don't know how much more smaller/efficient they can get and power source is a major issue. we really need advances on battery technology.

Last edited:

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Vision Pro will run into the same ”problem” as the iPad…it doesn’t run macOS or work like a Mac. It will be declared a toy even though, like the iPad, you can get a lot of work done with it if you aren’t stuck in your old ways.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
I think macOS on the iPad wouldn’t ruin Mac sales, it would ruin iPad sales. There is a tech bubble (including Gurman) that believes macOS on the iPad would be a good idea, but the iPad concept has defeated every tablet PC competitor in the market, and generates the same revenue as the Mac even if no models were launched this year. The iPad is not as huge as the iPhone, sure, but it’s an enormous success.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I will say: if you have the 15 Pro, take some of the spatial video now of the people you care about. Or places you go. You don't have to do a lot, but take some now because even with the 1st generation, it is really cool to see our 4 year old from Christmas 2023. I'm sure it will keep improving - it would be nice if it was 4k or 8k for example - but I wish I'd been able to do this of my parents and grandparents. Maybe the 16 Pro will do it in 4k or 8k.

These are irreplaceable moments so take a little of it, if/when you get a AVP or something else to display it, you'll be happy you did. :)

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I’m just looking forward to a couple decades from now when they can shrink most of the technology in that thing into something the size of some contact lenses.
I suspect that contacts aren't the goal, but a holographic display. Sure, contacts could be okay, but a phone/ipad/computer/TV or some other device with holographic displays would be great.

Those completely clear TVs that were shown at CES last month (Jan 2024) are a good start. With two pieces of "glass" just slightly separated they might be able to do it there either with a hologram or just a trick with with two displays barely apart.

Reactions: mjs916

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Maybe in a decade.
why not four years?

after roughly four we had iPhone 4,
same with iPad 4th-gen,
same with Apple Watch S4.

they seem to hit their stride with new product categories in that particular timeframe, price point being a huge factor too. really would be amazing if in a few years, we saw this get to a less-than-4-digit price…

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
why not four years?

after roughly four we had iPhone 4,
same with iPad 4th-gen,
same with Apple Watch S4.

they seem to hit their stride with new product categories in that particular timeframe, price point being a huge factor too. really would be amazing if in a few years, we saw this get to a less-than-4-digit price…
the headset is only going to be less than 4 digit prices when we get SE model. i think the VP is going to stay at the same price point

the line up could be:

Vision SE - <$1,000
Vision # - $1,000 - $1,500
Vision Plus $2,000-2,500
Vision Pro - ~$3,500
Vision Ultra/Pro Max $4,000+

_apple_apple_

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2021
AVP needs to be powerful to do its job(s), you simply will not have the power of a mac in the size of an iPhone (at this time).

I follow the patents (not just Apple) and there's no way to make this thing weightless; it would take fundamentally world-changing technology to do so. Realistically, the hardware will probably evolve in the following ways:
  • Apple is rumoured to be switching to a lighter PCB material (can't recall the name)
  • AVP 2 will probably have M4, which will use 3nm iirc. The energy efficiency (less heat generated) may let them remove the fans, shrinking the size and weight noticeably. Probably gain another hour of battery life from this.
  • A research group just published a paper on a new optical system for AR/VR that is better in most ways and thinner, so that could be applied in AVP 2 as well. I'm assuming AVP 2 is >1 year away.
  • Better strap (stiff instead of floppy) and maybe a more breathable light seal with an internal structure that enables fine-tuning.
The early software complaints are a non-issue — it's a gen 1 product; yeah it'll take a couple major version updates like it always does for pretty much any software/hardware product.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.