Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Personally, I'll wait...first gen is always more expensive and has issues. I don't judge anyone who has the disposable income to buy, though...it would be fun.

But, people who are saying this is a solution searching for a problem...I don't get that. Cars were a solution searching for a problem...horse and carts were fine ways to get around. This point relates to ONE element of the features of vision pro...that you can create bigger virtual screens for TV or computing or your apps than most of us can in real life unless we buy a whole bunch of other stuff (TVs, monitors, etc. which are not mobile).

Is the ability to watch a movie on my sofa on a giant virtual screen a "problem"? I guess so...if I want that enough or get that much value from the experience...but it's not one personally for me that will entice me to buy right now at that price point and for first gen.

I'm sure that there are already a host of other features related to vision pro that I'm ignoring when I focus on this one aspect of it in order to engage with people making that argument regarding a solution searching for a problem. There will also be new features and use cases that develop over time, increasing value.

I'll probably be ready to pull the trigger when they upgrade the M2, which I reckon will be around Gen 3.

A horse is not a “fine way to get around” at all. Riding another animal is inefficient, requires massive overhead and is slow. Cars offered an obvious benefit in a way that this face computer doesn’t.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
A ton is 2,000 lbs so therefore a ton of people would be on average around 10 people. ;) All kidding aside, my statement also came with the caveat that people would have to know how great the viewing experience of the AVP is before the Super Bowl, which obviously isn't going to be the case.

I truly believe it's only a matter of time before enough people get to see the immersive quality of the 3D and the "like being there" feeling that broadcasters will make live sports, concerts, and other events available for the AVP. When that happens we might see living rooms full of people each with their own headset watching the game together and with the pass through capability not be so disconnected from their families and friends.
LOL good one with the ton comment 😆
At $4000 it's just not going to be for the majority of the viewing audience. I don't see broadcasters bothering with the expense of equipment and workers to film the spatial video for such a small number of viewers.
I don't see this product being a yearly or 2year release either.
The early adaptors are going to have to pave the way and really push this to a lower price point.
If Apple would open it up so that it could hook to a PC for MS Flight Sim or DCS and also release some type of controller it would be more tempting at the current asking price otherwise get rid of that glass front and knock that price down to the $2000-2500 range

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
A horse is not a “fine way to get around” at all. Riding another animal is inefficient, requires massive overhead and is slow. Cars offered an obvious benefit in a way that this face computer doesn’t.
But there were detractors of cars saying the same stuff you're saying. The benefits of cars are obvious in hindsight.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
They would do a standard cost/benefit analysis. In the same way that some high schools provide iPads or chromebooks for students, a university could one day offer the use of VPs for certain courses.

I’m sure athletic departments will be happy to spend money on such an indulgence but I doubt the academic side is liable to show a lot of interest in this. VR has been around for many years and there’s no significant uptake in academia.

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I’m sure athletic departments will be happy to spend money on such an indulgence but I doubt the academic side is liable to show a lot of interest in this. VR has been around for many years and there’s no significant uptake in academia.
Yeah maybe. My guess is enterprise/industrial applications will stimulate demand outside of just consumer/creator focused demand. Then from there, educational use-cases will emerge as the price drops over the next 2-3 years.

If you're asking me to predict where? Not sure, but if I had to guess I could see engineering courses, perhaps astronomy, perhaps anatomy, etc.

Reactions: dannynjoni

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
But there were detractors of cars saying the same stuff you're saying. The benefits of cars are obvious in hindsight.

No, not in hindsight. And the fact that some demured proves nothing. There always going to be a contingent that does. Just look at vaccine uptake during the pandemic.

The comparison to cars just isn’t realistic or valid. The choice between having to care for a LARGE animal that has limitations on what it can carry/haul and a machine that doesn’t eat, can go faster, doesn’t get sick and can carry larger loads is a no brainer.

The problem with horses was obvious. What is the obvious problem that Vision addresses?

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Yeah maybe. My guess is enterprise/industrial applications will stimulate demand outside of just consumer/creator focused demand. Then from there, educational use-cases will emerge as the price drops over the next 2-3 years.

Not with Vision. The industrial and commercial side already have dedicated hardware. Vision is a consumer device. That’s why Tim Cook was on Good Morning America today trying to convince suburban housewives that they need it.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula and Bauer24

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
No, not in hindsight. And the fact that some demured proves nothing. There always going to be a contingent that does. Just look at vaccine uptake during the pandemic.

The comparison to cars just isn’t realistic or valid. The choice between having to care for a LARGE animal that has limitations on what it can carry/haul and a machine that doesn’t eat, can go faster and carry larger loads is a no brainer.

The problem with horses was obvious. What is the obvious problem that Vision addresses?
The first practical gas-powered car could NOT go faster than horses, nor carry more weight, when they were introduced by Benz in 1886. It was not obvious they would supplant horses in the late 1880's. Not at all. But after several revisions, and especially after the Model T, people could see the benefits.

To answer your question, IMO, mobile productivity. VP is probably nice enough when used around your home, but productivity on the go sounds like it could be the bread and butter use case.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The first practical gas-powered car could NOT go faster than horses, nor carry more weight, when they were introduced by Benz in 1886. It was not obvious they would supplant horses in the late 1880's. Not at all. But after several revisions, and especially after the Model T, people could see the benefits.

To answer your question, IMO, mobile productivity. VP is probably nice enough when used around your home, but productivity on the go sounds like it could be the bread and butter use case.

As if Apple just invented VR? Nope. We’re already way past the nascent period.

And as far as Vision being mobile, Apple doesn’t highlight that except for in the likely worst use case: on an airplane where getting it out and using it will absolutely disrupt people around you. It isn’t a mobile device. It’s intended to live in your house.

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Tim Cook was on Good Morning America today trying to convince suburban housewives that they need it.
Well sure. I'd expect that because that is their current sales strategy. It doesn't really take away from my contention that VP will be important for education; nor does the fact that there exists headsets in industry/enterprise mean that it will have not be important in industrial use cases.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Well sure. I'd expect that because that is their current sales strategy. It doesn't really take away from my contention that VP will be important for education; nor does the fact that there exists headsets in industry/enterprise mean that it will have not be important in industrial use cases.

That’s a really poor sales strategy since this appears to have zero appeal to the typical suburban housewife.

Steve Jobs Turtleneck

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2024
Just came back from testing out the Vision Pro and I felt really sick and dizzy when I got home. Last time I felt like this was when Virtual boy came out. Mind you I ate very well today and are very healthy. I almost fainted on the way back to the parking lot. I have had eye strain from using it since like 3pm today.

Around 7pm I got a loose stool as well.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010

And as far as Vision being mobile, Apple doesn’t highlight that except for in the likely worst use case: on an airplane where getting it out and using it will absolutely disrupt people around you. It isn’t a mobile device. It’s intended to live in your house.
Yeah VR and Mixed Reality have been around for a while.
I'll admit the AVP is cool and would probably be fun to mess around with.
I can afford one but after a couple of weeks when the newness wears off I'd be asking myself what was I thinking wasting that much money

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
In your opinion. We need more time to elapse to properly put these early headsets into the correct historical context.

Recall that before ICE, the early vehicles were powered by many different kinds of engines (including some electric ones). We have no way of knowing how long or how broad (in terms of tech) the analogous phase in VR development will be or what it will involve. It's not about who invented VR.

We see a nice orderly picture of vehicle development stretching from the 1600's to the mid-20th century (over 300 years), and this allows us to point to Benz and say "See! Benz was on to something with ICE engines!". But at the time it was not a certainty that his form factor would be the eventual "winner". IMO, we're in that phase now. We don't know what the successful form factor will be - many people think it's the glasses form factor. I think it's premature to say we're "way past the nascent period".

• Haha

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I thought it might be good to go back to an older article about the ipad. An excellent read all around.

Especially this paragraph here.

Most problems are solved by not doing it the old way. The most important thing to keep in mind is that when you switch to a new way of doing things, there will be a lot of flows that can be accomplished but are remarkably difficult or seem like you’re fighting the system the whole time. If that is the case, the best thing to do is step back and realize that maybe you don’t need to do that anymore or even better you don’t need a special way of doing that. When the web came along, a lot of programmers worked very hard to turn “screens” (client-server front-ends) into web pages. People wanted PF-function keys and client-side field validation added to forms. It was crazy and those web sites were horrible because the whole of the metaphor was different (and better). The best way to adapt to change is to avoid trying to turn the old thing into the new things.

And written by the former head of Windows no less.

Reactions: Bauer24

JapanApple

Suspended
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
'The Era of Spatial Computing Has Arrived'

The market would differ. Apple was $195.18/share on January 23 this year. Yesterday it closed at $186. Premarket trading at 8 am today indicates an open of $180.90. Dow 30 futures are down 81.84 points pre-market. Virtually of that is the result of the drop in Apple's stock price.

For comparison, you could say 'The era of electric vehicles has arrived.' Notable drops in sales, and drops in resource allocation to EV R&D, and layoffs in that sector by GM, Ford and Tesla in the last 2 quarters would imply that American drivers would disagree that the era of internal combustion is over, for a multitude of reasons. Price being one of the factors in common with the VisionPro. Charging issues being another.

When Apple can produce a VisionPro that can run 6-8 hours on a charge, make and take phone calls, weigh the same as a pair of eyeglasses and cost the same as an iPhone, I'd agree that 'The Era of Spatial Computing Has Arrived.' Til then, I reserve judgement.
Well there are some validity but generalizations

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I’m not wrong.

And

Human societies go through periods of advancement and periods of retraction.
The "fix" for this in the near term is to utilize the phone in your pocket for the compute and battery power needed. And either a much smaller receiver chip or an R1 type of chip on a pair of glasses. Wireless of course. There will still be cameras on the glasses and it will be larger than normal (batteries on the glasses). The battery tech needs to get better. One of the downsides is that it would let in too much light. But, for augmented reality stuff. It could be made to work. We have opaque OLED displays now so. I don't think it's too far off. Maybe 10-15 years.

• Haha

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I don't see how using the Vision Pro in a plane is any more disruptive than say, having a pair of noise cancelling headphones on and working on a laptop that you likely have to keep if the person sitting next to you wants to go to the restroom. If anything, this looks like a boon in cramped environments where I don't particularly have a lot of room to manoeuvre because I now have a computer that doesn't need to rest on a flat surface to be used.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
In your opinion. We need more time to elapse to properly put these early headsets into the correct historical context.

Recall that before ICE, the early vehicles were powered by many different kinds of engines (including some electric ones). We have no way of knowing how long or how broad (in terms of tech) the analogous phase in VR development will be or what it will involve. It's not about who invented VR.

We see a nice orderly picture of vehicle development stretching from the 1600's to the mid-20th century (over 300 years), and this allows us to point to Benz and say "See! Benz was on to something with ICE engines!". But at the time it was not a certainty that his form factor would be the eventual "winner". IMO, we're in that phase now. We don't know what the successful form factor will be - many people think it's the glasses form factor. I think it's premature to say we're "way past the nascent period".

It’s a bad comparison. And the Vision system will never fit in standard glasses frames.

• Disagree

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I don't see how using the Vision Pro in a plane is any more disruptive than say, having a pair of noise cancelling headphones on and working on a laptop that you likely have to keep if the person sitting next to you wants to go to the restroom. If anything, this looks like a boon in cramped environments where I don't particularly have a lot of room to manoeuvre because I now have a computer that doesn't need to rest on a flat surface to be used.

Have you seen that carry case??

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The "fix" for this in the near term is to utilize the phone in your pocket for the compute and battery power needed. And either a much smaller receiver chip or an R1 type of chip on a pair of glasses. Wireless of course. There will still be cameras on the glasses and it will be larger than normal (batteries on the glasses). The battery tech needs to get better. One of the downsides is that it would let in too much light. But, for augmented reality stuff. It could be made to work. We have opaque OLED displays now so. I don't think it's too far off. Maybe 10-15 years.

That isn’t Vision. As I said, attempting to put this into glasses frames is futile. This will never fit into glasses frames.

• Disagree
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.