Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

This video has a person working remotely try it out. It's a pretty long video, and it basically shows him using the Vision Pro as a giant secondary display which he can have with him anywhere (such as in his bedroom and his kitchen). He does feel the weight after a couple of hours, though he also ends with a statement that the Vision Pro cannot really be compared with other VR headsets, because they have very different use cases.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
What you either aren’t acknowledging or aren’t realizing is that prices for VR hardware have already come down. The HTC Vive launched at $800 in 2016 or $1015 in 2024 dollars. The Oculus Rift debuted that same year at $600 ($760 in 2023 dollars). Now you can get a Quest 3 for $500. VR headsets are affordable today to wide swaths of people.

Some computer prices had started to come down at the time the Macintosh came out too but that didn’t stop Apple from charging $2,495 (around $7,500 in today’s dollars) when there were cheaper computers available. The Macintosh would go on to become a very successful product for Apple and similar can happen with the VP.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Some computer prices had started to come down at the time the Macintosh came out too but that didn’t stop Apple from charging $2,495 (around $7,500 in today’s dollars) when there were cheaper computers available. The Macintosh would go on to become a very successful product for Apple and similar can happen with the VP.
The difference being that the Mac price wasn’t extraordinary. It was a normal price, even if cheaper computers were available. Conversely, what other consumer $3500 VR headsets are out there?

Reactions: Surf Monkey

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
The difference being that the Mac price wasn’t extraordinary. It was a normal price, even if cheaper computers were available. Conversely, what other consumer $3500 VR headsets are out there?

You could get an Atari 400 computer for as little as $50 (around $150 in today's dollars) at the time. You could get a Commodore 64 computer for as little as $200 (around $600 in today's dollars) at the time. $2,495 (around $7,500 in today's dollars) was an "extraordinary" price by comparison but over time, prices came down and the Macintosh became more and more accessible, home computers in general became more mainstream, etc. Similar can happen with Apple's Vision products.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
You could get an Atari 400 computer for as little as $50 (around $150 in today's dollars) at the time. You could get a Commodore 64 computer for as little as $200 (around $600 in today's dollars) at the time. $2,495 (around $7,500 in today's dollars) is an "extraordinary" price by comparison but over time, prices came down and the Macintosh became more and more accessible, home computers in general became more mainstream., etc. Similar can happen with Apple's Vision products.
Perhaps you could address what I said instead of what you wish I had said. What other $3500 consumer VR headsets are out there? There were other computers priced similarly to the Mac or even more expensive. There were also cheaper ones, but that was never in question, even though it seems like you’d like it to be. Where are the other $3500 headsets today akin to the Compaq Portable back in the day. Of course you didn’t really address what I said because there are no other consumer headsets priced anywhere close to that high. Apple’s pricing on the AVP would be like them launching the Mac at $10k back in 1984 dollars.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
If it helps install missing bolts its a win for the "Enterprise" - also these consumer devices sometimes yield big advantages for developer/creative freedom to said institutions... I'd give it a chance as it might help augment solution paths with new approaches previously undiscovered.
I’m not wrong.

And

Human societies go through periods of advancement and periods of retraction.
You're still wrong. You're citing existing paradigms to support your thesis. And you're right about that much; existing technology cannot achieve miniaturization on the level we're disputing. But if you dismiss the possibility of new paradigms in the future, you've completely lost your argument. People of your mindset in the 1950's would make the same argument: that a computer more powerful than the one that landed the Apollo 11 on the moon, would be able to fit in a pocket, and make phone calls too would be impossible! Or those people in the 1990's who thought it would be impossible to store a terabyte of data on a chip the size of a fingernail, with no moving parts. IMPOSSIBLE! THE LAWS OF PHYSICS! Assuming we know all the laws of physics or the universe writ large is an ostrich head-in-the-sand approach. At one point, all the matter, energy and time in our known universe was compressed into a particle the size of an atom. And you don't think we can ever get VisionPro tech into a pair of glasses. WRONG AGAIN!

Last edited:

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
If it helps install missing bolts its a win for the "Enterprise" - also these consumer devices sometimes yield big advantages for developer/creative freedom to said institutions... I'd give it a chance as it might help augment solution paths with new approaches previously undiscovered.
And if it ran on Windows or Android, it might. Enterprise corporations aren't going to switch to iOS to use them at this point. Too much stranded costs.

• Haha

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
You're still wrong. You're citing existing paradigms to support your thesis. And you're right about that much; existing technology cannot achieve miniaturization on the level we're disputing. But if you dismiss the possibility of new paradigms in the future, you've completely lost your argument. People of your mindset in the 1950's would make the same argument: that a computer more powerful than the one that landed the Apollo 11 on the moon, would be able to fit in a pocket, and make phone calls too would be impossible! Or those people in the 1990's who thought it would be impossible to store a terabyte of data on a ship the size of a fingernail, with no moving parts. IMPOSSIBLE! THE LAWS OF PHYSICS! Assuming we know all the laws of physics or the universe writ large is an ostrich head-in-the-sand approach. At one point, all the matter, energy and time in our known universe was compressed into a particle the size of an atom. And you don't think we can ever get VisionPro tech into a pair of glasses. WRONG AGAIN!

Your rather extreme over reaction and ridiculous fantasies about inventing new laws of physics suggest that even you don’t really believe that dribble.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bauer24

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
Your rather extreme over reaction and ridiculous fantasies about inventing new laws of physics suggest that even you don’t really believe that dribble.
No, it suggests that I don't believe your baseless opinions about technology, quantum physics, and the future. And really, I'm not suggesting it, I'm saying it outright. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
That isn’t Vision. As I said, attempting to put this into glasses frames is futile. This will never fit into glasses frames.
It could be "vision" without the Pro. If you want "pro" you have everything on the headset. Which will get smaller for sure. Better battery technology will improve this too. But, for "glasses" we can scrap some of the things that make it so heavy. Augment it with the Apple Watch (hand gestures), and iPhone for compute power. AirPlay to remove cables. And of course sell it for much less. Since it would be a high quality see through display with some cameras.

Wire frame glasses. No, not anytime soon. Ray ban Sunglasses (or about). That should be doable in the next 5 years or so.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Perhaps you could address what I said instead of what you wish I had said. What other $3500 consumer VR headsets are out there? There were other computers priced similarly to the Mac or even more expensive. There were also cheaper ones, but that was never in question, even though it seems like you’d like it to be. Where are the other $3500 headsets today akin to the Compaq Portable back in the day. Of course you didn’t really address what I said because there are no other consumer headsets priced anywhere close to that high. Apple’s pricing on the AVP would be like them launching the Mac at $10k back in 1984 dollars.
Not to rudely jump in but, Apple doesn't call this a VR headset. So I would start by saying there are no other headsets like this one. It's a category on its own. I understand everyone calls it a VR headset but, it's not accurate. It is more Augmented and Mixed Reality headset.

But, getting to the cost. It's cheaper as a whole system than the Pro Display XDR. Higher pixel density as well. Not as good color. But, still "cheaper", than the best monitor Apple makes. Even if you went and purchased say an iPad Pro with M2 chip to pair with the display. You're still missing out of quality speakers. So you need headphones. You need cables and you really can't use that setup outside or be very mobile with it. I don't think it's overpriced at all. I wish it was cheaper, I think we all wish that. But, it's not over priced for what it does. And comparing it to any other type of device. Which some reviewers have already done. They all say it's not in the same league as the Vision Pro. Just not comparable.

And as far as computer prices from way back when. I owned a G3 (beige) PowerMac 266 (overclocked to 300Mhz) with CD burner (external SCSI), and a View Sonic 17" monitor for about $3,500. This was 1998.

Last edited:
  • Haha

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
Congratulations on everyone getting a Vision Pro today!
I read someone calling it "The Jesus Glasses". I'm going with that. What a day! I mean, so eye opening for me. Right now, I’m journaling on the edge of the lake shores near Mt Hood. The rain is gently falling just so I see tiny droplets dipping into the mirror glass reflection of trees, clouds and sky. Mark Knopfler’s colorful album artwork is floating in the air above me while I'm listening to "One Deep River", a thin layer of fog sitting on the water out in the distance. All of this, and I still see my dogs laying on the floor by my side and all my surroundings. It's a very cool home office experience!

It's nowhere near perfect, but I'm going to enjoy the thrill for the next week or so, and go from there. I enjoy reading what others are doing with their new VP's this weekend, and especially look forward to what we discover in the coming weeks...

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It could be "vision" without the Pro. If you want "pro" you have everything on the headset. Which will get smaller for sure. Better battery technology will improve this too. But, for "glasses" we can scrap some of the things that make it so heavy. Augment it with the Apple Watch (hand gestures), and iPhone for compute power. AirPlay to remove cables. And of course sell it for much less. Since it would be a high quality see through display with some cameras.

Wire frame glasses. No, not anytime soon. Ray ban Sunglasses (or about). That should be doable in the next 5 years or so.

It took Apple 10 years to get it to where it is now. What in the world leads you to imagine that they’ll suddenly be able to take it down to RayBan size in another 5? The number of questionable assumptions you’re making causes your overall point to suffer badly.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Not to rudely jump in but, Apple doesn't call this a VR headset. So I would start by saying there are no other headsets like this one. It's a category on its own. I understand everyone calls it a VR headset but, it's not accurate. It is more Augmented and Mixed Reality headset.
Let me stop you right there. The Meta Quest 3 is a mixed reality headset as well.

But, getting to the cost. It's cheaper as a whole system than the Pro Display XDR. Higher pixel density as well. Not as good color. But, still "cheaper", than the best monitor Apple makes. Even if you went and purchased say an iPad Pro with M2 chip to pair with the display. You're still missing out of quality speakers. So you need headphones. You need cables and you really can't use that setup outside or be very mobile with it. I don't think it's overpriced at all. I wish it was cheaper, I think we all wish that. But, it's not over priced for what it does. And comparing it to any other type of device. Which some reviewers have already done. They all say it's not in the same league as the Vision Pro. Just not comparable.
The Pro Display XDR is a specialized display that’s intended for using with color-critical workflows. If you compare it to other products of that type, you’ll see that it’s actually cheaper than a lot of them. Here’s a 32” Sony for almost $13k.

Apple’s display tries to split the difference between a truly professional-grade monitor like the Sony and a typical consumer-grade monitor. It’s certainly not targeted to be a mass market device like an iPhone where Apple believes everybody should own one.

Now if you want to argue that Apple doesn’t intend the AVP to be a mass market device either, then you can make that argument and I might not even disagree with it. It’s certainly not priced like a mass market device. Apple seems to want this to be such a device though, considering the massive press coverage they’re going for. They certainly didn’t do that for the Pro Display XDR.

And as far as computer prices from way back when. I owned a G3 (beige) PowerMac 266 (overclocked to 300Mhz) with CD burner (external SCSI), and a View Sonic 17" monitor for about $3,500. This was 1998.
So about $6500 today. Doesn’t seem that remarkable. I can spec an MBP to $7200. Mac Pros start at $7k.

• Love

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Let me stop you right there. The Meta Quest 3 is a mixed reality headset as well.

The Pro Display XDR is a specialized display that’s intended for using with color-critical workflows. If you compare it to other products of that type, you’ll see that it’s actually cheaper than a lot of them. Here’s a 32” Sony for almost $13k.

Apple’s display tries to split the difference between a truly professional-grade monitor like the Sony and a typical consumer-grade monitor. It’s certainly not targeted to be a mass market device like an iPhone where Apple believes everybody should own one.

Now if you want to argue that Apple doesn’t intend the AVP to be a mass market device either, then you can make that argument and I might not even disagree with it. It’s certainly not priced like a mass market device. Apple seems to want this to be such a device though, considering the massive press coverage they’re going for. They certainly didn’t do that for the Pro Display XDR.

So about $6500 today. Doesn’t seem that remarkable. I can spec an MBP to $7200. Mac Pros start at $7k.

And as I’ve said many times already, Vision won’t be appropriate for content creation that requires accurate color. Photos and print jobs for example. The Vision can’t be color calibrated. It isn’t the type of hardware anyone working pre-press would ever use. That’s what the XDR is for, so there’s no real comparison between them.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
It took Apple 10 years to get it to where it is now. What in the world leads you to imagine that they’ll suddenly be able to take it down to RayBan size in another 5? The number of questionable assumptions you’re making causes your overall point to suffer badly.
The way I just described it. Off load the UI interaction using your Apple Watch. So we can remove some of the cameras that are dedicated to hand tracking. If you noticed they added a finger motion to the watch to interact with the it without touching it. They can expand on that. Plus, it adds features like mic's and gyroscopic motion controls to your headset UI. Less cumbersome than holding controllers. And more natural since you're wearing it anyway.

It wouldn't need any major advancements in battery power or size/weight limitations. Since it should just be powering an OLED display and "some" cameras. Most of the power will come from the iPhone. Which can be equipped with either another media engine. A-la R1 chip. Similar to how the Afterburner cards on a Mac Pro just became these little tiny media co-processors on the M1. And more powerful at that.

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Baseless? I backed my statements up. All you’ve done is shout at the wind.
They're right. You haven't backed up any of your statements stating that it will be impossible to put the tech into a glasses form factor. Because you cannot. Because no one knows the future. No one here is claiming it will be easy, but it won't be impossible.

And bonus! In theory, no laws of physics need to be violated. I actually chuckle a bit whenever people talk about the Vision Pro and then say XYZ "will be impossible!", without perhaps realizing that microOLED panels are so astonishingly precise, it's ALMOST a miracle they can be manufactured (but Sony has been practicing for a while with lower res microOLED panels in their cameras for more than 5 years now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.