Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
We don’t carry the microwave oven with us, do we? that’s an absurd analogy. See, people live and eat with their phones, sleep with the phone beside them. Phones have become a part of us. So, it is highly important for the phone industry in general and Apple in particular (since they are leading the industry) to make sure that any negative health implications emanated from using smartphones is minimise to benign level.
The point is if you have a pacemaker you have to be careful around microwaves and they can just be there, making awareness with your surroundings much more important. With magsafe, one would know there is some caution (that is if there are any contraindications for using around a pacemaker, and no one has verified that)

Boyyai

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2020
Manipur
I think the more accurate observation is that Apple is slowly transitioning into a more traditional company, and its behaviour will start to match those of a traditional company.

I wouldn’t say that Apple is falling down from its peak though. Circumstances changed, the company changed, and that’s just the way she goes.

Apple will continue to grow and prosper for a good long time to come, not despite all the things that people are criticising them for, but because of it, as this is all evidence of their design-led product culture that no other company can emulate.

I have thought about this long and hard myself, and decided that it would ultimately not be in Apple’s best interest to do so.

Apple doesn’t need another Steve Jobs or Scott Forstall, because they introduce way too much friction into the mix, and only a founder has the cultural capital to make everyone willing to set everything aside and work towards a common goal.

I have no doubt Tim Cook is absolutely the right person to lead Apple right now. Him firing Scott Forstall was evidence of that.

Wearables are shaping up to be the next big thing for Apple, and it’s clear that no one else in the tech industry is capable of catching up.

I think on some level, many people here recognise the merits of what Apple is trying to do here, but they also see the costs involved in switching (namely having to buy a new charging brick) and are using it to anchor criticism and resist change.

It’s like the removal of the headphone jack. Give it a year or two and we will look back and be amazed we even had this discussion in the first place.
fair enough point of view even though I do not agree with you. What I have been missing is that vibe, that atmosphere that was seen when Steve launched the first iphone.

I do not mind removing the headphones because iphone 7 used to come with the 3.5 mm dongle and they did not masquerade that change in the name of environment. But it feels like with the current fiasco of removing charging brick, there is little to do with environment but everything to do with selling magsafe.

Reactions: MrGuder

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
See. I want a civil discourse. But if a person who has a blind faith on apple hits me with a sarcastic comment, then I also have the right to hit him back with not so decent choice of words. Peace.

See, in order to have a civil discussion, maybe abandon calling people who disagree with you religious, fan boys and the entire rest of the common ad hominems used here. That would be a good first step.

Reactions: I7guy

Boyyai

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2020
Manipur
See, in order to have a civil discussion, maybe abandon calling people who disagree with you religious, fan boys and the entire rest of the common ad hominems used here. That would be a good first step.
You can keep your words with you. I will keep mine with me. Its a free world. if you respect me, I respect you. If you don’t, I don’t give a dime.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You can keep your words with you. I will keep mine with me. Its a free world. if you respect me, I respect you. If you don’t, I don’t give a dime.

Problem is you did the exact opposite and you did not keep them to yourself.

• Disagree
Reactions: Boyyai

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
fair enough point of view even though I do not agree with you. What I have been missing is that vibe, that atmosphere that was seen when Steve launched the first iphone.

I do not mind removing the headphones because iphone 7 used to come with the 3.5 mm dongle and they did not masquerade that change in the name of environment. But it feels like with the current fiasco of removing charging brick, there is little to do with environment but everything to do with selling magsafe.

The iPhone is an established and peaked product and nobody could sell as good as Steve.

Fiasco is too much drama to my liking. The charging brick costs $19 bucks extra, in case one needs it. Most won’t.

• Disagree
Reactions: Boyyai and I7guy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I miss it too. But I think that even as keynotes have become more boring, it doesn’t mean that Apple is losing its shine. The two aren’t as closely intertwined as people are making them out to be.

What mattered more is the design-led culture that Steve jobs nurtured at Apple continues to thrive even today. People often criticise Jony Ive and certain products like the first gen Apple pencil’s charging method, but that’s exactly what made Apple great in the first place. Steve Jobs empowered designers to have the first and final day in every product, with engineers then searching for technology to enable that desired end experience.

It doesn’t always work, but the end result is that Apple has been able to offer a sufficiently differentiated product experience compared to the rest of the competition, customers are willing to pay for this experience, and really, the worst thing that can happen to Apple is for it to become just like every other engineering-led company out there.

And that’s why I believe Apple will continue to prosper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyyai

Boyyai

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2020
Manipur
I miss it too. But I think that even as keynotes have become more boring, it doesn’t mean that Apple is losing its shine. The two aren’t as closely intertwined as people are making them out to be.

What mattered more is the design-led culture that Steve jobs nurtured at Apple continues to thrive even today. People often criticise Jony Ive and certain products like the first gen Apple pencil’s charging method, but that’s exactly what made Apple great in the first place. Steve Jobs empowered designers to have the first and final day in every product, with engineers then searching for technology to enable that desired end experience.

It doesn’t always work, but the end result is that Apple has been able to offer a sufficiently differentiated product experience compared to the rest of the competition, customers are willing to pay for this experience, and really, the worst thing that can happen to Apple is for it to become just like every other engineering-led company out there.

And that’s why I believe Apple will continue to prosper.
Ya. I also want apple to prosper. Hope I am wrong about my thoughts about the current Apple management under Tim Cook. The keynotes just seem so manipulative at times to garner more sales than to celebrate their new product.

By the way, you have a very unique way of writing the comments. I like how they are extremely coherent and are made into multiple paragraphs.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Ya. I also want apple to prosper. Hope I am wrong about my thoughts about the current Apple management under Tim Cook. The keynotes just seem so manipulative at times to garner more sales than to celebrate their new product.

By the way, you have a very unique way of writing the comments. I like how they are extremely coherent and are made into multiple paragraphs.

Thank you very much for your encouraging words.

I have been told that I can get quite argumentative at times. Maybe you simply haven’t seen that part of me here yet.

Reactions: Boyyai and I7guy

19callum93

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Can anyone confirm this has happened to their silicone case? I’m tempted to buy one! But now put off.

styymy

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
USA
A lot of the "leather cases" aren't real leather at all but PU leather a polyester material that's treated chemically to smell like real leather. So are we talking PU leather or genuine leather?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Well if nothing else...you can always tell someone has the iPhone 12 if there outside leather case has a visible impression ring. ?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
We don’t carry the microwave oven with us, do we? that’s an absurd analogy. See, people live and eat with their phones, sleep with the phone beside them. Phones have become a part of us. So, it is highly important for the phone industry in general and Apple in particular (since they are leading the industry) to make sure that any negative health implications emanated from using smartphones is minimise to benign level.
I know you had a concern about this:

Reactions: Boyyai and ericwn

thnklngndhrd

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
I think y’all are missing the point. Apple is testing reception of their wireless charging approach for when they remove the Lightning port.

They tested their waterproof designs by making the 6 more waterproof than they told the buying public about, and now they need everyday data to assess what to do going forward.

Like Tim Cook said, “the iPhone is only 12 years old... it’s not grown up yet.” (paraphrase).

deftio

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
United States
For some reason I remember it being bulkier than that...
The touchstone back cover (not a case, replaced the original case) only grew the phone by 0.5mm. I know this because I was the designer of Touchstone.

Touchstone was integrated in to all future Palm products (no special case needed), e.g. Pixi, Pre3, Veer, Touchpads, etc.

Touchstone was actually designed to be an auto-pairing accessory system e.g. just plop your device on a dock and it could useful things like play music through speakers (Touchstone Audio dock), share data etc.

Reactions: Analog Kid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.