Apple Watch 2 Said to Include Thinner 'One Glass Solution' Display

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The second-generation Apple Watch will feature "One Glass Solution" (OGS) display technology instead of Glass on Glass (G/G) technology, reports DigiTimes citing information obtained from Apple supplier TPK Holding.

One Glass Solution technology eliminates one of the layers of glass from a traditional G/G display that features two pieces of glass, replacing one layer with a thinner material. Making the switch from G/G, used in the current Apple Watch, to OGS could potentially allow Apple to save a small amount of internal space in the Apple Watch 2 and make slight reductions in the weight of the device.

According to TPK Holding, production of the OGS panels for the second-generation Apple Watch has seen some unexpected technical issues, resulting in low yield rates. It is not clear if this will affect overall production of the second-generation Apple Watch.
The large loss for the second quarter was mainly because touch panel orders for iPhones continued to decrease, and Apple will change touch panel technology from G/G to OGS (one glass solution) in the new Apple Watch to be launched in the second half of 2016, TPK said. The change in touch panel technology involved unexpected technological difficulties and therefore yield rates for OGS touch panels were much lower than expected, TPK explained.
The Apple Watch 2 is rumored to feature only minor design changes with primarily under-the-hood spec improvements. Cellular connectivity, a faster processor, and an improved battery are possibilities for the device.

As for a launch date, rumors suggest we can expect to see the Apple Watch 2 in the fall of 2016. A release alongside the new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus is a possibility, and if Apple plans to launch the Apple Watch 2 at that time, it could debut on September 16, 2016, with pre-orders to start on September 9.

Article Link: Apple Watch 2 Said to Include Thinner 'One Glass Solution' Display

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
The lack of built-in GPS is still a non-starter for me. GPS chips are so small now, it amazes me the Apple Watch lacks one.

The GPS fucntionality is important to me, as I’m a runner. I would love to have a device I could use during my runs to record my tracks and give me accurate speed and mileage information, without having to lug around my phone.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
would this require us to purchase the watch screen? maybe 199.99 for the screen? Like iphone 7 without 3.5 jack? more parts=more money concept?

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
With "One Glass Solution" (OGS), cellular connectivity, a faster processor, and an improved battery are all possibilities for the device...

Serious question: Will Apple ever be game enough to do "cellular connectivity" on the Watch? The iPhone manual suggests keeping the phone 5mm away from the body. The watch is attached directly to the body! o_O

"Carry iPhone at least 5mm away from your body to ensure exposure levels remain at or below the as-tested levels." http://www.apple.com/legal/rfexposure/iphone8,1/en/

I'd prefer extra Watch battery in that extra space. Thanks.

Last edited:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I hope the watch will never get thinner or better there should be a watch that casts a shadow for people like me who prefer that style on a watch vs. thin watches..So better more choices to choose from. I will not get a thinned watch..

Reactions: sshambles

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I owned an Apple Watch before OS2 came out, and again much more recently. Battery life has never been a problem. I now use a sleep tracking app so I wear it overnight too and charge it whilst I'm in the shower or watching TV, and even after a full day+ of wearing it's only down to 30% after quite a lot of use.

I think I'd rather see that battery put to use powering an additional GPS or cellular chip, than putting in a smaller battery.

The lack of built-in GPS is still a non-starter for me. GPS chips are so small now, it amazes me the Apple Watch lacks one.

The GPS fucntionality is important to me, as I’m a runner. I would love to have a device I could use during my runs to record my tracks and give me accurate speed and mileage information, without having to lug around my phone.
From reading various Apple Watch forums it sounds like there's some kind of wifi GPS feature being included in WatchOS 3. So whilst not mega accurate for speed and exact locations, it can map out your route at least.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Serious question: Will Apple ever be game enough to do cellular connectivity? The iPhone manual suggests keeping the phone an inch away from the body. The watch is attached to the body! o_O
I think the main issue with mobile/cellular connectivity is the current problem that both devices would require their own sim card and yet another phone number. Apple is already playing in that field with Apple Sim. I suppose once both devices can have the same number and the Watch wouldn't require a removable sim card, Apple would implement it. Having yet another phone number would complicate things rather than making life simpler. Currently I don't see mobile phone companies wanting to allow this, hopefully Apple can convince them.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016

Put this in the Watch, Apple!

skinuca

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
I'll likely stick with my 1st gen, unless the GPS is in there. Like many have said, that will be a great feature for logging runs and hike. That said, I doubt it is the size of the chip that stops Apple from including it, but more likely the drain on the battery.

The features I would like to see are those talked about before launch, such as Oxygen saturation and blood sugar levels. I don't need them for health reasons or at all really, but as a data geek think the data would be interesting to monitor. They have the people to do this, so it might be a regulatory issue for them as they might make the watch a medical device. For many, it is that medical device aspect that will be ground breaking for the watch when they get it there.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
I owned an Apple Watch before OS2 came out, and again much more recently. Battery life has never been a problem. I now use a sleep tracking app so I wear it overnight too and charge it whilst I'm in the shower or watching TV, and even after a full day+ of wearing it's only down to 30% after quite a lot of use.
You mind sharing the app you use?
Would love to take a look, thanks! :)

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Can't wait to see what's next on this front. I've liked Apple's entry onto the catwalk since day one. A neat device.

Reactions: friedmud