Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I generally prefer scratch/bend vs. no scratch/break, but, either way, we do have a ceramic AW. The Edition.

Apple_Watch_Edition_42mm_White_Ceramic_Case_with_Cloud_Sport_Band_1000_0001.jpg
does that scratch from the bottom of the watch where the charging occurs?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Oh those will always come no matter what apple does. Could be exactly what the whiners ask for and they'd find something to whine about.

Even if it includes every single feature the babies want, they'll complain about the price. Heck, it could include a price cut on top of all of that and they'd cry that it wasn't enough.

It's sad so many always find every little thing to complain about rather than being happy about the positive features in the offering.

Reactions: ErikGrim

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Adding LTE capability will need bigger battery, it is going to be a while watch gets smaller/thinner the technology has to improve a lot before it can shed some weight/thickness, i am sure Apple is obsessed with thickness/weight.
You're probably right. It's funny, the phone they keep making it thinner and I really don't want it thinner (I'd rather have the battery life and rigidity and maybe flush camera), with the watch I want it thinner and they can't do it.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

There is nothing "traditional" about a round watch, in fact, its because it was cheaper to make them round that they were made that way in bulk post WWII when watches really hit the mass market when those who got used to wearing the army/navy/aviation issued one returned home.

Just prior to WWII, big round watch had started to become popular because of their association with aviators who needed big ones so they could see them in bad lighting.

Prior to WWII, watches were hellishly expensive pieces of machinery that few could afford; a successor in status to pocket watches.
That's why you had more variety in shapes pre 1930, the money was flowing and those that bought watches were ready to pay for original design.

In that first period, from the emergence of watches post WWII to 1930, all top watch makers made a lot of square and rectangle watches. The art deco is ripe with such wonderful design. Constructing a rectangle watch that doesn't look like a box though is more difficult than stamping a round part.

Post WWII, with the switching of mass produced stamped, square watches mostly survived in women's fashion were playing up the bracelet angle wasn't seen as unmanly. Occasionally there were revivals, like when led watches came in fashion in the 1970s to 1980s.

The funny thing is that considering this sits on our wrist, the real traditional thing is a band/bracelet; we've been wearing those for tens of thousands of years. If there is any history to be made it is on that side and the Apple watch looks more like that than a big ass round watch.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
There is nothing "traditional" about a round watch, in fact, its because it was cheaper to make them round that they were made that way in bulk post WWII when watches really hit the mass market when those who got used to wearing the army/navy/aviation issued one returned home.

Just prior to WWII, big round watch had started to become popular because of their association with aviators who needed big ones so they could see them in bad lighting.

Prior to WWII, watches were hellishly expensive pieces of machinery that few could afford; a successor in status to pocket watches.
That's why you had more variety in shapes pre 1930, the money was flowing and those that bought watches were ready to pay for original design.

In that first period, from the emergence of watches post WWII to 1930, all top watch makers made a lot of square and rectangle watches. The art deco is ripe with such wonderful design. Constructing a rectangle watch that doesn't look like a box though is more difficult than stamping a round part.

Post WWII, with the switching of mass produced stamped, square watches mostly survived in women's fashion were playing up the bracelet angle wasn't seen as unmanly. Occasionally there were revivals, like when led watches came in fashion in the 1970s to 1980s.

The funny thing is that considering this sits on our wrist, the real traditional thing is a band/bracelet; we've been wearing those for tens of thousands of years. If there is any history to be made it is on that side and the Apple watch looks more like that than a big ass round watch.
/End thread

That's two well informed, well put together posts in a row from users on separate threads. What is going on with this forum today?

kdarling

macrumors P6
That's two well informed, well put together posts in a row from users on separate threads. What is going on with this forum today?

There are some common layman misconceptions. Aerial navigation (avigation) is a deep hobby of mine. And I was military as well.

Round watches made sense for military partly because round crystals are stronger than square ones, a necessity in combat.

The first well known aviator watch was square (not round) because that's how Cartier designed the 1904 one for his pilot friend, the famous Santos-Dumont. The shape was reportedly derived from making the bands fit snugly. This made rectangular popular with the public for a while. Ditto for the 1917 Tank watch, another attempt to hide band connections, and whose edges were later claimed to be inspired by tank treads.

Then Lindbergh put a rotating hour angle bezel for star navigation on a watch in 1930, and round was in for good with aviators.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhfenton

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am starting to wonder if the Siri watch face was designed to work with a lte-enabled Apple Watch. Now you have a digital assistant on your wrist which can intelligently serve you notifications even if your phone is not with you.

Would be classic Apple. Hardware working with software to give you that integrated experience.

Reactions: ErikGrim

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
No interest in independent data for the watch, but lots of people seem interested so hopefully expands the market.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
I don't really care so much about having independent data for the watch in the vein of being able to read the news app or Instagram/Twitter feed-type activities... that's always seemed stupid to me given how small the screen is, however, I would find it especially useful for getting out for activities and maintaining connection with family as necessary or not being cut off should I forget my phone some day (or leave it behind intentionally, say) - being able to stream my music from my watch during an exercise session rather than having to store it locally would be equally useful.

I suppose essentially it would just provide me all the current benefits it has, just independently rather than with the current reliance it still places on the phone

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
It occurs to me that I might have a problem integrating a personally-owned LTE Apple Watch Series 3 with my company-owned and paid-for iPhone. I have a family Verizon account for my wife and two teenagers, but I wouldn't want my Watch tied to a family member's phone number.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
does that scratch from the bottom of the watch where the charging occurs?

Oh, that's the part your worried about? If you have the AW0 Steel or AW2 in any material, then you already have a ceramic back. If you have an AW0 or AW1 in aluminum, than you have a composite back that scratches more easily.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Oh, that's the part your worried about? If you have the AW0 Steel or AW2 in any material, then you already have a ceramic back. If you have an AW0 or AW1 in aluminum, than you have a composite back that scratches more easily.
I have SS AW2.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Think It's about time they do 2 different watches.
1 more fitness related with looong battery-time no ***** LTE

And another more maybe more advanced, not so fitnessrelated, it can have LTE, I don't care!

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I would say that LTE is relevant for training. I know a lot of people that keep offloading Apple Music Playlist to their Apple Watch Series 2 watches before they go out for a jog, bicycle ride, intervals or whatnot using bluetooth earbuds/headphones.

These people would gain some great benefits from having LTE as that would make them able to stream Apple Music instead of offloading playlist beforehand.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I would say that LTE is relevant for training. I know a lot of people that keep offloading Apple Music Playlist to their Apple Watch Series 2 watches before they go out for a jog, bicycle ride, intervals or whatnot using bluetooth earbuds/headphones.

These people would gain some great benefits from having LTE as that would make them able to stream Apple Music instead of offloading playlist beforehand.

but that is also the use case that would kill your battery the most. GPS tracking, continuous heartrate monitoring, and streaming music over LTE?

No matter how good their battery tech, they aren't going to be able to do something like that all day, they'll still need to have energy saving options - perhaps smartly precaching music based on your tastes to your watch over wifi (maybe overnight or while charging)?

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars

Sure, more of everything is always better :D
But I MUCH rather have LONG BATTERY time before LTE.

Think It's time they do 2 different watches.

We'll see soon.
I Think I'll be disappointed & would probably settle for a PolarA370.
Polar have better software. I've had It for quite some time now.
Apple Health is ****.

But I want to see where Apple goes before I buy it so I don't regret it.

Last edited:

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
How is Apple Health ****? It works great if you ask me, and its way better compared to its competition like Samsung S-Health, Google Health and Microsoft Health etc..

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sure, more of everything is always better :D
But I MUCH rather have LONG BATTERY time before LTE.

Think It's time they do 2 different watches.

We'll see soon.
I Think I'll be disappointed & would probably settle for a PolarA370.
Polar have better software. I've had It for quite some time now.
Apple Health is ****.

But I want to see where Apple goes before I buy it so I don't regret it.
Polar's iOS software is uniformly terrible. I have a Polar H10 HR monitor that I use with my Apple Watch 2, and it works great. But the iPhone app is poor--and I don't usually run with my phone now anyway--and the Apple Watch app is completely useless. (The Apple Watch app is not a stand-alone app; it relies on the iPhone for GPS AND for the HR data. It will not even read the Polar H10 HR data when the strap is paired with the Watch. You have to pair the H10 with the iPhone for the Polar Watch app to read the HR data. Other apps on the Watch, like Apple's Exercise app and Cardiogram read the H10 HR data just fine on the Watch.)

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I like Polar on both iOS and the webversion, and many with me.
I rather stay away from the pulsestrap if I can. Have had a few, and one lying around.
For tests it's ok, but waring it all the time, it's past history to me.

We have different opinion about Polar software, thats ok. You are entitled to your taste like everybody else :D
I'll probably stay with it, unless :apple: comes up with something I really like, which I really don't think.
But :apple: have surprised before....

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I agree. It's a Watch and there are only so many physical alterations that will be changed. Furthermore, Watches traditionally don't physically change much over the course of its life. (Even if it's a smart Watch.)

I actually believe Apple will retain the current design and form factor for the Series 3 if one does launch in September. And as far as the band connector is considered, I also believe that will remain the same, as Apple has executed this perfectly. The bands is where Apple makes their money as well, changing this now would be a poor decision and would not be a direct benefit to the consumer who owns prior Apple Watch models.

And this is not to say that this is the One True Design™, but some on people. I'm not really sure the design change will ever be all that radical. The only major change I can think of is a circular display which would be the definition of idiotic. This isn't an analog watch. Talk about form over function.

My main gripe it battery life. Days when I use it for multiple workouts are always an issue for me. Improving efficiency and increasing uptime are really what I care about. Still, for the most part this product has been a pleasant surprise. Nothing world bending, but a really nice accessory. (Now if I could just get a red leather band that was worth a crap.)

Reactions: jhfenton
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.