Apple Watch Able to Detect Abnormal Heart Rhythm With 97% Accuracy

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Using a device (A-watch) to tell you when you're heart is skipping beats is like having a device to tell you when you're getting cramps. Every missed heart beat is is easily felt and unpleasant enough as it is without some damn device reminding you of it.
On the contrary, unless you've been told what it is you're feeling, it can be easily ignored. To your peril.

Sure, once you know what it is - and understand the seriousness - then it's just damned frightening.

Watch could save lives. Bring it on.

RosieQ

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2017
California
I'm an Emergency doctor at UCSF and this could be super useful. We regularly get patients coming to the hospital with atrial fibrillation, and while some swear they know exactly when it started several studies have shown that this just isn't all that successful. Current guidelines allow for electrical cardioversion within 24 hours of onset of atrial fibrillation. If the onset is unknown we have to place a patient on long term anticoagulation (expensive and risk of bleeding with trauma) or do an invasive heart ultrasound with anticoagulation for a few days prior to cardioversion. If we were able to look back at app data/ heart rate monitoring this could save patients and the system a lot of money and time! Glad to see my home institution doing such great work.

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
(Cardiogram developer here) Yes—we're compatible with all Apple Watch hardware as long as you're on watchOS 3.
[doublepost=1494535132][/doublepost]

Atrial fibrillation is often asymptomatic—Circulation (the top cardiology journal) just published a big report on the evidence for device-based screening of AF:
circ.ahajournals.org/content/135/19/1851.full?ijkey=StzSPk8eljGaP2G&keytype=ref
Thanks for the info. Yes, when I had my A-fib episode, it was an accelerated heartbeat. I actually walked into ER after going to a clinic where they did an electrocardiogram and told me I need to go right away. I was somewhat shocked when they immediately started IV's and had the 'Red Cart' next to me. I had, outside of the accelerated heartbeat, no other symptoms such as chest pain, dizziness or shortness of breath.
As some people have had their pick at sarcasm on this thread, they do not realize that there are over 2 million people that suffer from A-Fib. I had no medical coverage and had found a clinic that would refill my high blood pressure medication and that's when my heart rate of 153 was discovered. I could have very easily suffered a stoke or heart attack.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Impressive. And yet it cannot keep track of my HR in the gym...can't win them all....only about off by 100 at times....
[doublepost=1494538930][/doublepost]
keep in mind guys once you start moving these arm based hr monitors are crap.
Completely agree. With very little movement, my AW is very accurate, once I do weights in the gym, useless

Reactions: ILuvEggplant

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
I am all for it. The sooner the better.

I don't know if there is an app to alert either 911, or at least your home when you are in trouble with your health or safety.

santaliqueur

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
97% would be awesome if I could get that when running. 50% is generous for me.

Running at a 6:30 pace for 2 miles, and REALLY pushing myself? Doubt my HR is 64.

Apple Watch is garbage for heart rate. I don't even wear it running anymore.

Reactions: ILuvEggplant

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Potentially awesome.

I think a lot of people are waiting on two big things:

1) Really accurate heart-rate monitoring (getting there)

2) Blood sugar analysis for diabetics.

I have a feeling Apple will get there within a decade, fingers crossed.

Blood pressure would be the big thing for me.

Reactions: JaySoul

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Great - yet another gadget to spark anxiety and paranoia in people. I bet this is sponsored by the big medical companies to get the sheeple lining up, even more in front of the the pharmacies...

To anyone buying this app - unless your doctor advised you to - you are in it for a LONG and severe ride of extreme Paranoia...

You have been warned !
[doublepost=1494541154][/doublepost]
Blood pressure would be the big thing for me.
Or a good diet along with 2 hours daily exercise as in walking.

rasoetan

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
I'm an Emergency doctor at UCSF and this could be super useful. We regularly get patients coming to the hospital with atrial fibrillation, and while some swear they know exactly when it started several studies have shown that this just isn't all that successful. Current guidelines allow for electrical cardioversion within 24 hours of onset of atrial fibrillation. If the onset is unknown we have to place a patient on long term anticoagulation (expensive and risk of bleeding with trauma) or do an invasive heart ultrasound with anticoagulation for a few days prior to cardioversion. If we were able to look back at app data/ heart rate monitoring this could save patients and the system a lot of money and time! Glad to see my home institution doing such great work.

Nice to hear from someone who really knows what they are talking about!

xyzzy

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Using a device (A-watch) to tell you when you're heart is skipping beats is like having a device to tell you when you're getting cramps. Every missed heart beat is is easily felt and unpleasant enough as it is without some damn device reminding you of it.
That's a trenchant and amusing observation that's unfortunately false. 90% of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation episodes are asymptomatic. And even when there are no symptoms, they increase the risk of stroke. In the Framingham study, stroke was the first symptom of atrial fibrillation in 24% of patients with atrial fibrillation.

Reactions: bobob

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
1 in 33 people have inaccurate readings. Not good. Best stick with professional advice and certified medical equipment then.

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
That's a trenchant and amusing observation that's unfortunately false. 90% of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation episodes are asymptomatic. And even when there are no symptoms, they increase the risk of stroke. In the Framingham study, stroke was the first symptom of atrial fibrillation in 24% of patients with atrial fibrillation.
As i said in my post, I experienced this first hand. I felt no discomfit or symptoms as I laid in the ER bed with several people working on me. It was almost surreal looking at the red cart next to me. I felt good enough to go home as they were pumping drugs into me to bring down my heart rate so I wouldn't have a stroke or heart attack.
Any device or app that assists me in controlling my health is gladly welcomed.
AND I am not suffering from anxiety and paranoia, Just taking care of my health. To me, when you don't do that would be the time to suffer.
[doublepost=1494546813][/doublepost]
1 in 33 people have inaccurate readings. Not good. Best stick with professional advice and certified medical equipment then.
Prior to my watch, I used a certified Finger Pulse Oximeter, similar to the one my doctors used. My watch always matched the finding on the device.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I find this suspect. I have found the heartbeat monitor on the apple watch to be extremely inaccurate - with up to 133% swings in my heart rate shown within a minute, yet other monitors show no such swings, and do not show any abnormal heart rhythm. It was even bad enough to send back to apple at one point but they said "working as designed"

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Please, let researchers/cardiologists at University California San Francisco Medical Center know that they're wasting their time developing this pointless technology. Stat!

Also, see post #27 up above.

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
No!! Apple is more focusing on fancy watch bands and new emojis theses days thanks to Tim Cook
Apple watch is the best looking smartwatch ever made. I recently got my 42 MM series 2 stainless steel model( my first apple watch :D) & i am loving it, hoping to get series 3 this fall
Damn!!! How i missed this thread :mad: i for sure was a :apple: watch hater without knowing much about it :( but now after owning ( stainless steel model)one i have to admit i am completely changed,this thing is so so beautiful
That's not what you stated here about the Apple Watch. It appears your intentionally stating things for the sake of disparaging against Cook and Apple.

Edit: @Sunny1990. And you edited your message above to something completely unrelated. Could you please explain why?

Last edited:

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
That's not what you stated here about the Apple Watch. It appears your intentionally stating things for the sake of disparaging against Cook and Apple.
OK but will you answer my question? i really want some knowledge about what health advancements is apple working on? i am curious to know! :). i am going to invest more in Apple watch in near future, and if you throw some good knowledge about what improvements you think apple is bringing in future watches! That will be really helpful!

Last edited:

Mtmspa

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Siri: "Looks like you're having a heart attack"
Me: "Call an ambulance"
Siri: "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
You just press sos button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
Siri: "Looks like you're having a heart attack"
Me: "Call an ambulance"
Siri: "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Siri: "Perhaps you might buy a few iPads while I call the ambulance, say this Watch band is looking pretty, um, non Hermes if you get my drift"
Me: "what?"
Siri: "buy the large Designed by Apple book, or die"

Reactions: Sunny1990

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
I wonder if they can improve the HR readings by putting it into a band instead of the back of AW.
A band would have a bigger area in direct contact with the skin.
Anyway my AW is not very precise while reading my HR while working out, it needs some improvement