Grey Area

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
97% accuracy?

A classifier like

state predictState() {
return "No problems!"
}

will have 200 errors on your data, archiving 96.7% of accuracy.
True. However, the MacRumors article is misleading (oversimplifying?) by speaking of 97% accuracy. It is actually an AUC of 0.97, and accuracy and AUC (Area under Curve) are not the same thing. The AUC measure aims at preventing sitations like the one you describe, and your classifier probably would not get a good AUC.

That being said, it is hard to get an intuitive grasp of such measures, and without an evaluation of the actual costs and consequences resulting from false positives and false negatives it seems hard to tell whether a diagnostic method with an AUC of 0.97 is wonderful or doing more harm than good.

honglong1976

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2008
UK
G
(Cardiogram co-founder here)

The Cardiogram app itself is already on the app store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cardiogram/id1000017994?ls=1&mt=8) and the deep learning to screen for conditions are coming sooner than you might think. :)
Great app and I have linked to ehealthstudy.

Is improved sleep tracking planned? Thanks
[doublepost=1494584284][/doublepost]
Maybe among the Fitbit class devices but the high end devices like the Garmin Fenix 5 are excellent.
I use a Fitbit Blaze and while I run do exercise, it tracks it quite well, I run home the other day after getting off the bus and I looked at my wrist and it showed 168bpm and as I slowed down it went down and showed the bpm accurately.

JoFace

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2017
Hooray for modern medicine and tech colliding.

Of course, limited utility on a device that people only wear for 12 hours a day.

Do you feel lucky? Do ya?

CobaltJacket

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Using a device (A-watch) to tell you when you're heart is skipping beats is like having a device to tell you when you're getting cramps. Every missed heart beat is is easily felt and unpleasant enough as it is without some damn device reminding you of it.
My son is a heart transplant recipient. The transplant process involves innervation (severing of the cardiac nerves), and so he wouldn't be able to feel arrhythmia in the manner that you so flippantly and dismissively suggest. This capability will be important for my son and other people like him, as something like this could help to indicate rejection earlier than one might otherwise recognize it. I will get him an Apple Watch as soon as he is old enough to take care of it properly.

Reactions: psac

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Potentially awesome.

I think a lot of people are waiting on two big things:

1) Really accurate heart-rate monitoring (getting there)

2) Blood sugar analysis for diabetics.

I have a feeling Apple will get there within a decade, fingers crossed.
Accurate Blood Glucose monitoring via the AW will be widespread in 5 years at most. Maybe 3. Its happening now.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have long criticized the Apple watch as a mostly useless accessory, but if this area can be developed it will change everything. My father died of a heart attack and since I'm in my 40's not this potential heart monitoring capability is particularly interesting. That, and Apple Watches are now on sale at Best Buy! It's the first time I've been tempted. Not sure how substantial this all is at this point though.

I have a feeling I know what Apple's next acquisition might be.

cfurlin

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2011
Well, that's going to end well because it's perfectly normal for a healthy person to have skipped heartbeats many times during the day. I hope they took that into account otherwise it will send a whole bunch of hypochondriacs to the emergency room on a daily basis.

Neodym

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2002
1 in 33 people have inaccurate readings. Not good.
So 32 in 33 people actually have accurate readings. 24/7. For a very affordable price. In my book that is darn good!

Best stick with professional advice and certified medical equipment then.
Because everyone has access to and money for professional advice and certified medical equipment 24/7 ... :rolleyes: You're not a seller of certified medical equipment by chance, are you? ;)

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Siri: "Looks like you're having a heart attack"
Me: "Call an ambulance"
Siri: "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Siri: "Looks like you're having a heart attack"
Me: "Call an ambulance"
Siri: "Calling Ham Palace"

Reactions: kdarling

RonnySchueritz

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
97% accuracy?

A classifier like

state predictState() {
return "No problems!"
}

will have 200 errors on your data, archiving 96.7% of accuracy.

p.s. The idea is great and I hope to see it implemented in future watches
Exactly! We shouldn't aim for accuracy but for true/positive and fals/negatives.

digiridoo

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
Interesting.... my Apple Watch 2 detects a heartbeat when I hold the sensor facing the wall. Maybe it can see ghosts, freaky!!!

Last edited:

xyzzy

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Well, that's going to end well because it's perfectly normal for a healthy person to have skipped heartbeats many times during the day. I hope they took that into account otherwise it will send a whole bunch of hypochondriacs to the emergency room on a daily basis.
"Skipped heartbeats" and atrial tachycardia are not the same thing. The "skipped heartbeats" most people experience are premature ventricular contractions. That's a totally different heart rhythm than paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.

Aspen

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Using a device (A-watch) to tell you when you're heart is skipping beats is like having a device to tell you when you're getting cramps. Every missed heart beat is is easily felt and unpleasant enough as it is without some damn device reminding you of it.
Clearly you are not a physician and have no idea whatsoever about what you are talking about. I hope no one reading this believes what you just wrote. MANY arrhythmias are "silent" and not felt. Depending on the arrhythmia , a person could easily have 15,000-20,000 "skipped beats" a day and not even know it.

Reactions: psac

kdarling

macrumors P6
(Cardiogram co-founder here)

The Cardiogram app itself is already on the app store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cardiogram/id1000017994?ls=1&mt=8) and the deep learning to screen for conditions are coming sooner than you might think. :)
Your website says that your company feels that virtually any personal heart rate monitor will be usable, and states:

"Over the past few months, we've developed a preliminary algorithm to detect AF using the heart rate sensors on Apple Watch and Android Wear."

Is the Android app available? Also, have you planned anything for Tizen watches?

Thanks!
Kev

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
The  Watch can also detect PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions - the ventricle contracts before the atrium, hence no blood to pump out). I use the HeartWatch app. Whenever it warns me that my heart rate has dropped below 50 bpm (the range that I established) I know that I am experiencing PVC's (I can feel it occurring and I use an ECG program on my iPhone, Kardia which provides a single lead ECG reading).

I also use the Cardiogram app and submit for the studies...

StyxMaker

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
If these two can even remotely get into the 99% accuracy level with the Watch Series 3 or even 4, then finally, the Watch will be really worth it. Oh, and of course, better battery life with Quick Charging capabilities, so that one can track sleep instead of letting the AW charge overnight.
I put my watch on ( series 3) the charger about an hour before go to bed and it is fully charged when I go to bed. I use AutoSleep to track my sleep. It seems to be very accurate. The battery is usually at around 60% when I put it on the charger the next day.

I have also been using the Cardiogram App since shortly after it appeared in the App Store.

Reactions: xbankaiz

StyxMaker

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Great - yet another gadget to spark anxiety and paranoia in people. I bet this is sponsored by the big medical companies to get the sheeple lining up, even more in front of the the pharmacies...

To anyone buying this app - unless your doctor advised you to - you are in it for a LONG and severe ride of extreme Paranoia...

You have been warned !
[doublepost=1494541154][/doublepost]

Or a good diet along with 2 hours daily exercise as in walking.
Not necessarily I downloaded this app and signed up for the study. I hardly ever look at the app, I'm just happy to supply data for the study.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
G

Great app and I have linked to ehealthstudy.

Is improved sleep tracking planned? Thanks
[doublepost=1494584284][/doublepost]
I use a Fitbit Blaze and while I run do exercise, it tracks it quite well, I run home the other day after getting off the bus and I looked at my wrist and it showed 168bpm and as I slowed down it went down and showed the bpm accurately.
I have found AutoSleep to be an excellent sleep monitor.

chucker23n1

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2014
Accurate Blood Glucose monitoring via the AW will be widespread in 5 years at most. Maybe 3. Its happening now.
How? There are interesting approaches like a contact lens, but the Apple Watch just attaches to the skin. I don't see the technology of measuring any blood glucose value at all, let alone a remotely accurate one, from a device that merely touches the skin. And I don't see Apple selling needle-equipped sensors.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
OK but will you answer my question? i really want some knowledge about what health advancements is apple working on? i am curious to know! :). i am going to invest more in Apple watch in near future.
First, you're going to invest in the Apple Watch in the near future and yet in the below quote you stated You already own one. That doesn't make sense at all.

Apple watch is the best looking smartwatch ever made. I recently got my 42 MM series 2 stainless steel model( my first apple watch :D) & i am loving it, hoping to get series 3 this fall
Also, what Do you want me to answer about unknown advancements? I have no idea what advancements Apple could be possibly working on. They don't share that type of information if it's directly related to an unreleased product.